Magic: The Gathering Thread

I never did comment about your mono-red deck. I strongly recommend the new Monastery Swiftspear from Khans of Tarkir. It is starting to take Goblin Guide's place in modern and legacy so grab it now while the price is still relatively low. It works very well with burn as each of your burn spells will boost its power allowing you to quickly pile on damage, should you cast some burn in response to combat damage after the defending player decides not to block it. I would use it to replace Viashino Racketeer. Also note that the deck is not Standard, and there are better cards available if it's suited for modern or casual. 26 lands is also way too high for an aggro deck. You should only go for 26 if it' s a control deck in my opinion. 24 is even pushing it a bit. I would go for 21-23 depending on how fast your cards are. I also strongly recommend you add in some Firedrinker Satyrs, as they're amazing for their large damage at a cheap cost. You're playing mono red as well, so you shouldn't worry about the life loss from firedrinker as your opponent should die long before it matters.

Thanks for the suggestions! And the reason I have far too much land is because I, with the way I changed my deck for now, have 8 cards that discard cards to draw another. I will get plenty of land to start with and then I can cycle away what I don't need, at least that was the original idea. I'm sure there is a better way though :D

I never did comment about your mono-red deck. I strongly recommend the new Monastery Swiftspear from Khans of Tarkir. It is starting to take Goblin Guide's place in modern and legacy so grab it now while the price is still relatively low. It works very well with burn as each of your burn spells will boost its power allowing you to quickly pile on damage, should you cast some burn in response to combat damage after the defending player decides not to block it. I would use it to replace Viashino Racketeer. Also note that the deck is not Standard, and there are better cards available if it's suited for modern or casual. 26 lands is also way too high for an aggro deck. You should only go for 26 if it' s a control deck in my opinion. 24 is even pushing it a bit. I would go for 21-23 depending on how fast your cards are. I also strongly recommend you add in some Firedrinker Satyrs, as they're amazing for their large damage at a cheap cost. You're playing mono red as well, so you shouldn't worry about the life loss from firedrinker as your opponent should die long before it matters.

Okay, I got one more for you to look at if you don't mind. Spent the day looking for cheap cards to play lands and manaramp to make a real deck around Banefire. http://www.mtgvault.com/bbgunshot/decks/burning-desire-forest-fires/

I see two issues with the deck as it is. Getting aggro'd down and overwhelmed, or just not drawing Banefire (which I'm not as worried about to be honest).

Okay, I got one more for you to look at if you don't mind. Spent the day looking for cheap cards to play lands and manaramp to make a real deck around Banefire. http://www.mtgvault.com/bbgunshot/decks/burning-desire-forest-fires/

I see two issues with the deck as it is. Getting aggro'd down and overwhelmed, or just not drawing Banefire (which I'm not as worried about to be honest).
Seeing as you're playing modern/casual, I would recommend not going for traditional ramp. You have so many infinite mana combos available that I think you should use. You could make it U/R and use the Grand Architect + Pili-Pala combo along side some tempo/control to slow the enemy onslaught while not having to rely too much on the combo (much like how tempo-twins work). You can also add in some other X spells (Invoke the Firemind comes to mind). I actually really like the sound of this deck, so I'll sketch a draft and share it here.

Seeing as you're playing modern/casual, I would recommend not going for traditional ramp. You have so many infinite mana combos available that I think you should use. You could make it U/R and use the Grand Architect + Pili-Pala combo along side some tempo/control to slow the enemy onslaught while not having to rely too much on the combo (much like how tempo-twins work). You can also add in some other X spells (Invoke the Firemind comes to mind). I actually really like the sound of this deck, so I'll sketch a draft and share it here.

I guess I never really thought to look up an infinite mana combo. I forget that magic is an incredibly broken game in casual play. I'm excited to see what you come up with :D.

Edit: Well that didn't take long. Found a way cheaper version of a 1 shot kill deck with a cheap infinite mana combo. Here.

I guess I never really thought to look up an infinite mana combo. I forget that magic is an incredibly broken game in casual play. I'm excited to see what you come up with :D.

Edit: Well that didn't take long. Found a way cheaper version of a 1 shot kill deck with a cheap infinite mana combo. Here.
I put it in a U/R Twin Combo Shell, built to win modern (hopefully). May cause your wallet to instantly die. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/architect-of-pain/

I put it in a U/R Twin Combo Shell, built to win modern (hopefully). May cause your wallet to instantly die. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/architect-of-pain/

I don't see where the infinite mana comes from in this deck (I'm sure it's there but card text is hard for me to make sense of), but I do see where you give spells flashback and recast them to kill your opponent. Well if I'm ever rich and entering a modern tournoment, I'll keep that in mind haha!

I just bought this deck minus the banefire (I'll probably grab that at my local magic shop) for $10. A slightly modified version of the one I linked before including Doorkeepers for another added win condition.

I don't see where the infinite mana comes from in this deck (I'm sure it's there but card text is hard for me to make sense of), but I do see where you give spells flashback and recast them to kill your opponent. Well if I'm ever rich and entering a modern tournoment, I'll keep that in mind haha!
Infinite mana comes from Grand Architect + Pili-Pala. Use Grand Architect to make Pili-Pala blue, then tap Pili-Pala for 2 colorless, use to untap pili-pala to add 1 of any color to mana pool. Repeat until victory. Everything else is copied from Tempo-Twins, the modern deck I hope on eventually building that has a similar strategy (use an infinite combo, but use burn/tempo as alt. win con)

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/monoblue-aggro-thingy/

Mainboard:
-4 Dakra Mystic
+4 Triton Shorestalker

Sideboard:
-1 Curse of the Swine
-1 Hour of Need
-1 Negate
+1 Ætherspouts
+2 Dakra Mystic

Changes were made after last night's fnm. I went 2-2 due to Abzan Midrange taking over the local meta. Siege Rhinos, Hornet Queens, Nyx Weavers, Necropolis fiends, and a decent amount of removal. Looking to maybe add 2 Hall of Triumphs to help my creatures stay alive and do more damage, along with dropping a land. Might drop a Chasm Skulker as well. Any suggestions on how to KO the Abzan Midrange?

I found this cool site that allows you to play magic online very competently. A friend and I tested it out a bunch, and once you get used to it, it works very well! I haven't played against anyone I didn't know, but it seems like you could cheat easily, as you have to follow the rules yourself. The only real issue with the client so far is that it doesn't have an option to flip double-sided cards, so you'll have to let the other know of the effects. But it is seriously worth checking out, I was able to perfect my defender deck quite well and help my friend out too.

Making an account and logging in is very easy. It's even easier to upload decks, as you can either upload the file or paste in the url from a popular deck building site.
http://www.untap.in/lobbyui/

Jeskai Wins progress. Landbase, Rabbles, and Sarkhans currently making my wallet bleed. It's in the hospital and might not fully recover. RIP Wallet 2014.

Just played my first draft ever at Channel Fireball. No idea what I was doing. Ended up drafting BUG but realised pack 2 that I wasn't drafting any creatures. Ended up going 0-2-1 and got no payout. :(
Flooded Strand made it worth.

So I finally started playing standard. Any good cards for a red white black? I have both of these gods, and I need the new Sorin
AthreosGodOfPassage.jpg
Image.jpg

So I finally started playing standard. Any good cards for a red white black? I have both of these gods, and I need the new Sorin
View attachment 144128 View attachment 144129
Depends. What kind of deck are you looking into making? For Mardu I'd recommend midrange. Goblin Rabblemaster, Butcher of the Horde, Brimaz, King of Oreskos, Stormbreath Dragon, Sarkhan the Dragonspeaker, Sorin, Solemn Visitor, and removal.

Alrighty, these are the decks I've been working on for a while now.

I do own this one. I've managed to play it in one real multiplayer game and I actually won a casual game with friends. I still need to make some adjustments and get a couple more Hunted Phantasms and Prognostic Sphinxes ideally. It also gets destroyed by enemy enchantments. :(
http://www.mtgvault.com/bbgunshot/decks/inciting-violence/

I own (most) of this one as well, it's Pauper (all commons) too! If you can get out Shepard of Rot quickly, then draw Gray Merchant the game is pretty much yours, works surprisingly quickly (although watch your own life-total too).
http://www.mtgvault.com/bbgunshot/decks/dead-mans-pauper-symphony/

My most recent ideas have been the following two, which I don't own and haven't tried in their current form. I wanted to make an Artifact deck, and the Myr creatures seemed incredibly cool. There were enough to make a creature/artifact based ramp deck that works surprisingly well.
http://www.mtgvault.com/bbgunshot/decks/myr-military-factory/

This deck was a weird combination of the cool Myr cards I had found looking around, and the crazy Mindslaver card. Started as mostly a joke/for fun deck, but with some adjustments and suggestions it actually seems like it might be legit.
http://www.mtgvault.com/bbgunshot/decks/myr-mindslavers/

Feel free to comment and give more ideas, or make the decks yourself! :D

EDIT

New idea involving Scry to get out free Leviathans.
http://www.mtgvault.com/bbgunshot/decks/scry-the-sea/

Went 3-2 during prerelease. I went 2-0 in each of my first 3 matches, but then proceeded to lose to back to back temur deck running Aleisha and Sabertooth. I put together a jeskai manifest deck with Mastery of the Unseen as my promo. Black splash for Silumgar and Ankleshanker. Shun Yu was my only other card of relative value. Person next to be got a promo Soulfire Grand Master, Ugin, the Spirit Dragon, foil Aleisha, a Shun Yu, and 1 or 2 of the legendary dragons. QQ

Also, Treasure Cruise, Dig Through Time, and Birthing Pod are banned, along with Golgari Grave-Troll being unbanned. I guess it's time to sell off my YPs, swiftspears, and delvers. Gonna go back to building Twin Exarch.

Alright so I just made my first EDH Deck and I'm interested in some feedback. I recently took an interest in EDH because regular magic has began to feel kind of boring for my friends in I. I am by no means an expert and this deck might very well suck, however I thought the idea seemed fun :D. The description is on the page.

If any of you want to play with me on untapped feel free to message me on here, or steam or wherever. Personally I like trying out cheaper decks that I might actually be able to buy, and using several hundred dollar "OP" cards just isn't so much fun for me.

Alright so I just made my first EDH Deck and I'm interested in some feedback. I recently took an interest in EDH because regular magic has began to feel kind of boring for my friends in I. I am by no means an expert and this deck might very well suck, however I thought the idea seemed fun :D. The description is on the page.

If any of you want to play with me on untapped feel free to message me on here, or steam or wherever. Personally I like trying out cheaper decks that I might actually be able to buy, and using several hundred dollar "OP" cards just isn't so much fun for me.
0/10 no Sol Ring.

In all seriousness tho, the deck seems like a weird mix of white aggro and voltron. Perhaps if you were to go the aggro route you should run more creatures. I would highly recommend Hero of Bladehold, and if you have the money, Brimaz. I do recommend a Sol Ring as it's one of the best mana-tapping artifacts you can easily get (as I'm assuming you can't afford a Black Lotus or any Moxen).

I actually just finished building my Grimgrin, Corpseborn EDH (physical version :D). It has a lot of shenanigans with zombies and sacrificing. My graveyard is pretty much a second library with all of my reanimation. There is a fun infinite combo with either Carrion Feeder or Grimgrin with a Rooftop Storm and a Gravecrawler to make a infnite/infinite creature. That can also be combined with Grave Pact for a 1-sided boardwipe, or with a Diregraf Captain for an instantaneous win.

0/10 no Sol Ring.

In all seriousness tho, the deck seems like a weird mix of white aggro and voltron. Perhaps if you were to go the aggro route you should run more creatures. I would highly recommend Hero of Bladehold, and if you have the money, Brimaz. I do recommend a Sol Ring as it's one of the best mana-tapping artifacts you can easily get (as I'm assuming you can't afford a Black Lotus or any Moxen).

I actually just finished building my Grimgrin, Corpseborn EDH (physical version :D). It has a lot of shenanigans with zombies and sacrificing. My graveyard is pretty much a second library with all of my reanimation. There is a fun infinite combo with either Carrion Feeder or Grimgrin with a Rooftop Storm and a Gravecrawler to make a infnite/infinite creature. That can also be combined with Grave Pact for a 1-sided boardwipe, or with a Diregraf Captain for an instantaneous win.

Very cool! And thanks for the feedback. I played a game just a bit ago with a more expensive and fancier version of that deck and it actually started to work until they stopped me from casting any white spells, and then wiped the board twice, and then I ran out of cards and they beat me down with flying creatures.

But hey! I know what to improve on, and the token generation was legit.

Back