• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

[MC] Serpent's Pass Thread

Tried it, it turns out if the cart is travelling above some speed, one block of slope isn't sufficient to stop it. I gather from reading the wiki previously that above a certain speed the cart effectively doesn't touch some rails (maybe that's above 20 blocks per second since the server has 20 ticks per second?). People tend to complain if the cart isn't going fast, so I don't want to go without powered rails before the station just to avoid the need for two blocks of slope.

I've started building it now since there were no major objections, but there were definitely complains about the existing temporary tunnel. The new temporary/work-in-progress one should be much easier to navigate. The rails do nothing, they're just there to try to stop pigmen from spawning. The dirt and cobblestone (except that under the rails) is all temporary. We can put real windows in once there's protection. If anyone has powered rails they don't need, donations would be appreciated, otherwise I'll see if I have enough gold. Thanks nutshell for the stone!
Try making it a one block slope with a powered rail just before the slope, or you can cut corners and make it slow down just a bit before the slope in order to guarantee a stop.

Try making it a one block slope with a powered rail just before the slope

That's going to make the cart go faster right? Isn't that the opposite of what I want?

or you can cut corners and make it slow down just a bit before the slope in order to guarantee a stop.

I don't really want to spend a huge amount of time counting blocks and working out what speed people are going to approach at and what the chance is of them not actually stopping, I'd rather just build what definitely works.

If you want someone else to do the work, then, that's fine with me.

I don't get it, an unpowered rail might stop the cart prematurely which is bad too.
Yeah. I meant unpowered. I'll take a look soon and putz around with it. I just don't like the idea of a two block slope.

By the way, there are tables in the wiki that tell you how much you decay over a certain amount of blocks and the most efficient way to space sets of 1 power rail to maximize velocity. Just count the normal amount of blocks and then extend that number an extra 10 or so and it should suffice.

By the way, there are tables in the wiki that tell you how much you decay over a certain amount of blocks and the most efficient way to space sets of 1 power rail to maximize velocity. Just count the normal amount of blocks and then extend that number an extra 10 or so and it should suffice.

I'd also like to build it in such a way that people adding powered rails elsewhere around the place doesn't suddenly make the station stop working, because not everyone knows about this stuff. I'd rather it be reliable/robust.

Okay, the SP rail station is done now apart from a few windows.

Unfortunately it turns out there is a bug where if you place a minecart on a slope (I assume it doesn't matter if it's one block long or two), you tend to sit too low in the cart. I assume it doesn't matter except that you can't properly see where you're going. For some reason I didn't see this before today but other people on the web have reported it too. The workaround is to place your minecart on the flat bit at the top of the little "hill" and then use the "W" key to push yourself down onto the slope to take off. The proper solution is to design the station completely differently I guess :( e.g.:

Code:
     #
     |
     +-+
>----+ +-->

<--+ +----<
   +-+
     |
     #

This is completely flat. # indicate the powered rails where you stop and can hit a button to restart. Oops, I got the rails going the wrong ways, but you get the picture hopefully.

Anyway I'm not going to do this redesign straight away, let's see how people go with this design for now. The redesign would completely change the station layout.

I can't help but feel the rail station for Serpent's Pass is a waste of time as you can walk the distance in pretty much the same amount of time it takes to open the chest, grab a cart (if there's one there), place it, ride, then break the cart and shove it in a chest again.

It's more likely to just annoy people heading between spawn and SB than to serve any practical purpose.

I can't help but feel the rail station for Serpent's Pass is a waste of time as you can walk the distance in pretty much the same amount of time it takes to open the chest, grab a cart (if there's one there), place it, ride, then break the cart and shove it in a chest again.

It's more likely to just annoy people heading between spawn and SB than to serve any practical purpose.
Sets a good precedent for additional stations.

I'm sure not going to use it to get between spawn and SP either, but you can now go from SB to SP and back, and hopefully eventually NB to SP or SB.

There should be plenty of carts now, too, I made 10 or 15 more.

I'm sure not going to use it to get between spawn and SP either, but you can now go from SB to SP and back, and hopefully eventually NB to SP or SB.

There should be plenty of carts now, too, I made 10 or 15 more.
From what you're saying, you want spawn to become a substation and SP to become a main thoroughfare?

From what you're saying, you want spawn to become a substation and SP to become a main thoroughfare?

I just want spawn and SP to both be equivalent stations on one NB-SB line (although the spawn one will hopefully look fancier than the SP one) so you can start at NB and go all the way to SB.

I just want spawn and SP to both be equivalent stations on one NB-SB line (although the spawn one will hopefully look fancier than the SP one) so you can start at NB and go all the way to SB.
I suggest making spawn a branch off of SP, with SP being the central station. Makes more sense than it is now because of SP being more popular than spawn, probably.

Back