• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

[MC] Serpent's Pass Thread

Besides, don't mine-tracks go by Manhattan distance, as opposed to Euclidean distance? That is, even with lots of corners, you go the same distance "diagonally" as you do in an "L" shape, since you aren't actually moving the same speed diagonally.
Nope. You increase in momentum on diagonal tracks.

Don't worry, SP is so close to spawn I'm not too worried about saving travel time by making it diagonal, but I am waiting for a comment from Chiba about how terrible the idea of a diagonal track sounds :D Also I did make sure the new portal was at the same Y co-ordinate as the nether one.

What do you mean by protected tunnel? Is it a nether tunnel to SP from spawn or what?

Well we want to build a tunnel that goes to spawn and meets the criteria to get the admins to protect it. I have an idea for connecting it to the existing rail, I don't have time right now but will talk to mountainboy about it later since he built that rail.

Well we want to build a tunnel that goes to spawn and meets the criteria to get the admins to protect it. I have an idea for connecting it to the existing rail, I don't have time right now but will talk to mountainboy about it later since he built that rail.

Sure thing.

Also, the very first Balloon has been finished in SP. Ya'll need to get working on yours!

Idea for nether rail: one continuous line: Southbridge - Serpent's Pass - spawn - Newbank, with stops at SP and spawn where you can either get out or hit a button to continue.

To just copy the mechanics of the station from my town of Hard Rock Cafe in the 1.5 LTS world:

Approaching SP or spawn on a minecart you would get stopped on a slope and see signs and a button:

2013-03-01_13.46.55.png

If you want to actually visit the place, you just get out of the minecart and break it of course. Ignore the water escalator on the left.

If you're at SP or spawn station you'll see signs directing you to the correct track depending on where you want to go, and at the track you'll see e.g.:

2013-03-01_13.47.05.png

It might instead say "To Serpent's Pass", etc. Note the button you can see here would have the signs above/below it as in the image above.

In terms of physical layout of the rail, I think the existing spawn-SB rail should be modified to turn towards the SP portal, look around/past it, then rejoin the old SB rail, so overall we'd have:

Code:
                                          #### SP portal

+-oooooo-+
                                       |        |
                                       |        |
                                       |  +--+  |
                                       |  |  |  |
                                       |  |  |  |
                                       |  |  |  |
                                       |  |  |  |
                                       :  :  :  :
                                       |  |  |  |
                                       |  |  |  |
            +-------oooooo----+        |  |  |  |
            |                 |        |  |  |  |                               
       <----+  #              +---...--+  |  |  +-----------<           
to/from        # spawn                    |  |               to/from    
Newbank        # portal                   |  |               Southbridge
       >----+  #              +---...-----+  +-------------->
            |                 |                 
            +-------oooooo----+

Not really to scale. "o" shows where the slopes are for stopping carts. I don't actually know where to fit in this part at SP for the rail to SB, I'd need to have a play in creative to work that out.

But overall does this sound okay?

Idea for nether rail: one continuous line: Southbridge - Serpent's Pass - spawn - Newbank, with stops at SP and spawn where you can either get out or hit a button to continue.

To just copy the mechanics of the station from my town of Hard Rock Cafe in the 1.5 LTS world:

Approaching SP or spawn on a minecart you would get stopped on a slope and see signs and a button:

View attachment 144072

If you want to actually visit the place, you just get out of the minecart and break it of course. Ignore the water escalator on the left.

If you're at SP or spawn station you'll see signs directing you to the correct track depending on where you want to go, and at the track you'll see e.g.:

View attachment 144073

It might instead say "To Serpent's Pass", etc. Note the button you can see here would have the signs above/below it as in the image above.

In terms of physical layout of the rail, I think the existing spawn-SB rail should be modified to turn towards the SP portal, look around/past it, then rejoin the old SB rail, so overall we'd have:

Code:
                                          #### SP portal

+-oooooo-+
                                       |        |
                                       |        |
                                       |  +--+  |
                                       |  |  |  |
                                       |  |  |  |
                                       |  |  |  |
                                       |  |  |  |
                                       |  |  |  |
                                       |  |  |  |
            |                 |                 
            +-------oooooo----+

Not really to scale. "o" shows where the slopes are for stopping carts. I don't actually know where to fit in this part at SP for the rail to SB, I'd need to have a play in creative to work that out.

I aggree

Okay, so let's deal with the Serpent's Pass station first, since we can do the spawn bit later and it's not even that relevant to this thread. I've created something in single player which I think should be okay.

Approaching the SP station from spawn:
2014-10-10_21.07.16.png

(actually, there is probably glass along that stretch of the rail, we can work out what we do with that later)

After going around the corner:
2014-10-10_21.20.35.png

(exact distance to be determined!)

Almost there:
2014-10-10_21.20.43.png

This is the point where the minecart has been stopped:
2014-10-10_21.20.52.png

If you're instead approaching the station from Southbridge:
2014-10-10_21.24.17.png

What you see when you step out of the portal:
2014-10-10_21.21.56.png

Outstanding issues:
- I haven't worked out exactly how to provide access to all the redstone, but that doesn't affect the appearance at all, I'll solve that when I build this.
- The ceiling pattern is broken by needing to have it a block higher where the minecarts stop. Maybe we can just lower the floor level by 1 block instead, or someone will have another idea.

View attachment 144072

View attachment 144073

Code:
                                          #### SP portal

+-oooooo-+
                                       |        |
                                       |        |
                                       |  +--+  |
                                       |  |  |  |
                                       |  |  |  |
                                       |  |  |  |
                                       |  |  |  |
                                       |  |  |  |
                                       |  |  |  |
            |                 |                 
            +-------oooooo----+

There's no need to redirect the route from SB to spawn since spawn is a central location for all towns. However, if you still wish to create one, I suggest creating a substation between SB and spawn that lets the user choose whether to continue to spawn or be redirected to SP.

With regard to the ceiling issue: I suggest going down a block rather than up one, it limits the chance of suffocation damage that way. Also, I suggest putting unpowered rails at the end of each stop to prevent the minecart from moving too much.

There's no need to redirect the route from SB to spawn since spawn is a central location for all towns. However, if you still wish to create one, I suggest creating a substation between SB and spawn that lets the user choose whether to continue to spawn or be redirected to SP.

I don't think redirecting is much of an issue, the SP portal is about 30 blocks away from the SB rail, doesn't seem worth having a branch for that, the extra 70-ish blocks isn't going to add much to the journey time, I don't think.

With regard to the ceiling issue: I suggest going down a block rather than up one, it limits the chance of suffocation damage that way.

I mean: move ceiling up 1 block or move floor down 1 block to avoid suffocation, the decision is entirely aesthetic since either way you have the same clearance.

Also, I suggest putting unpowered rails at the end of each stop to prevent the minecart from moving too much.

Not sure what you mean. The minecart comes to a halt on a downward slope with 2 powered rails that are unpowered until you hit the button, if that helps?

I don't think redirecting is much of an issue, the SP portal is about 30 blocks away from the SB rail, doesn't seem worth having a branch for that, the extra 70-ish blocks isn't going to add much to the journey time, I don't think.

I mean: move ceiling up 1 block or move floor down 1 block to avoid suffocation, the decision is entirely aesthetic since either way you have the same clearance.

Not sure what you mean. The minecart comes to a halt on a downward slope with 2 powered rails that are unpowered until you hit the button, if that helps?
1. Ah. I wasn't aware of the short distance. May as well make someone walk then. :p

2. Go with the lowering of the floor; It looks better in my opinion. Or you can raise the station's ceiling up by a block or two, making it seem fancier.

3. You can halt a minecart on a downward slope with just one unpowered rail on the downward slope side, there is no need for two unless the second one is speeding it up toward the desired direction. In that case, make it three and not two. What I meant earlier was that you should make sure ALL stops have at least one unpowered rail at them, which the current spawn to SB route does not have.

1. Ah. I wasn't aware of the short distance. May as well make someone walk then. :p

Yeah making people walk was actually my first thought :) I think this solution is easy enough for now, and if we add another city somewhere else and end up with a bunch of separate rails, perhaps then it'll be easier to just make people walk.

3. You can halt a minecart on a downward slope with just one unpowered rail on the downward slope side, there is no need for two unless ...

I've been using two since beta 1.9 because back then occasionally one block of unpowered rail wasn't actually enough to stop a cart 100% of the time, admittedly I haven't tried with just one block since then. Is one block guaranteed to work now?

What I meant earlier was that you should make sure ALL stops have at least one unpowered rail at them, which the current spawn to SB route does not have.

Oh, you mean at the end of the line, right? Yeah, I normally would do that to stop the cart bouncing off the wall. You have to talk to mountainboy about changing it for the current rail.

Thanks for the feedback!

I've been using two since beta 1.9 because back then occasionally one block of unpowered rail wasn't actually enough to stop a cart 100% of the time, admittedly I haven't tried with just one block since then. Is one block guaranteed to work now?

Oh, you mean at the end of the line, right? Yeah, I normally would do that to stop the cart bouncing off the wall. You have to talk to mountainboy about changing it for the current rail.

Thanks for the feedback!
I'm fairly certain that the unpowered rail has worked that way since it was implemented. I know for a fact only one was used back in outlands when it was introduced and that was with it on the slope. I say you should try just one for science; however, I actually do suggest three in order to get a full speed boost for going to the next station, assuming the cart stops on the first track.

Yeah, the fact there isn't a powered rail or two at the end bothers me more than it probably should.

I say you should try just one for science

Guess I'll do that, but leave room for increasing it to two if required later. Note to self: have to try this out in single player.

I actually do suggest three in order to get a full speed boost for going to the next station

There are separate powered rails just after the station for this.

I know for a fact only one was used back in outlands when it was introduced and that was with it on the slope. I say you should try just one for science;

Tried it, it turns out if the cart is travelling above some speed, one block of slope isn't sufficient to stop it. I gather from reading the wiki previously that above a certain speed the cart effectively doesn't touch some rails (maybe that's above 20 blocks per second since the server has 20 ticks per second?). People tend to complain if the cart isn't going fast, so I don't want to go without powered rails before the station just to avoid the need for two blocks of slope.

I've started building it now since there were no major objections, but there were definitely complains about the existing temporary tunnel. The new temporary/work-in-progress one should be much easier to navigate. The rails do nothing, they're just there to try to stop pigmen from spawning. The dirt and cobblestone (except that under the rails) is all temporary. We can put real windows in once there's protection. If anyone has powered rails they don't need, donations would be appreciated, otherwise I'll see if I have enough gold. Thanks nutshell for the stone!

Back