• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

minecraft: making a sprite? what's your template?

Tofurkey

Hooray!
here's mine ... somehow this is getting BIG ... but i'm gonna give it a good effort to do this one at least okay.

yoshicoindesign.jpg

i'm just being strange and filling in the yoshi design first, so don't freak out if you see me doing random-looking things ... i'll fill it all in and do the border soon-ish (hopefully)

l8r, all & have fun out there
:D

i literally found this image on google images using some kind of generic "game sprite" search, then i stuck it in paint so i could just check off the areas i'd worked on.

haha nice, if anyone has a good template do share

I typically just throw said image in photoshop, scale it to whatever size I want (so one pixel is literally one block, and I don't end up making something rediculously huge), the zoom in really far and build it pixel by pixel.

Two tricks:
Use dirt or dark gray for dark red.
Don't choose an image with lots of dark blue. There is nothing dark blue in minecraft, and thus, sonic sprites look terrible.

's cool. it'll give me something to do, and i might be able to knock it out by the end of the weekend ... provided wooty moves the sprites i'm currently working on ... soon-ish (completing a 2nd one waiting for wooty to casually show up :p )

You might want to skip the huge blue outline and just do the main section...

MS paint Ctrl+G 8x zoom

Other than that, I find most of my images from google searches.
Also, I have used at least 3 images per sprite I create, I put a lot of work into them.

My steelix for example, one I will be bragging about a lot, I used Serebii's Gen 2 sprite, Elite 2000's Sprite, and some I found on Google. It took a while before I finally got the right shade/size/quality I wanted.

A low quality one usually shows "borders" with "inside" colors, like grey instead of black. Serebii usually has the best quality, and deviantart, the lowest.

Is there any software out there than can do automatic colour replacement on images?

I.e. a way for an images colours to be replaced with the colours available in the MC colour pallet? Where the original colours are compared to the closest colour that MC can offer, and then swapped.

This would also give a preview of what the sprite will eventually look like.

I think in Photoshop there's a way to reduce the number of colors in an image to a specific/custom palette. It will pick the closest palette color to replace the originals with. I've not had to use it in a long time, though.

I think in Photoshop there's a way to reduce the number of colors in an image to a specific/custom palette. It will pick the closest palette color to replace the originals with. I've not had to use it in a long time, though.

That's exactly what I was looking for.

I use pictures like these mostly, but that really limits my options. Going to take some of your guys ideas into consideration.
3239423657_7491466b9e_b.jpg

Back