Sopa being discussed right now

Elaborate.

Its not going to make a big impact on the "social media" sites like everyone says it will. Its to target websites that are legitimately going out of their way to break copyright laws / sites that have no other purpose then to offer ways around actually purchasing copyrighted materials. I think people are much more worried then they need to be because they assume as soon as it passes the world is gunna shut down, which isnt the case.

Everyone thinks its about censoring the internet and all of a sudden websites will be told exactly what they cant do/say, Well, it will be as far as saying dont offer downloads / streaming to materials you dont have the rights too.

im tired and it wasnt a well prepared response, but i have nothing against SOPA. People are just building it up into a giant monster thats going to end the world.

This isn't about piracy, it never was. This is about Censorship. If we give the government the ability to censor the internet, we're going to end up like China.

Its not going to make a big impact on the "social media" sites like everyone says it will. Its to target websites that are legitimately going out of their way to break copyright laws / sites that have no other purpose then to offer ways around actually purchasing copyrighted materials. I think people are much more worried then they need to be because they assume as soon as it passes the world is gunna shut down, which isnt the case.

Everyone thinks its about censoring the internet and all of a sudden websites will be told exactly what they cant do/say, Well, it will be as far as saying dont offer downloads / streaming to materials you dont have the rights too.

im tired and it wasnt a well prepared response, but i have nothing against SOPA. People are just building it up into a giant monster thats going to end the world.
While you bring up some nice points, I'd like to remind you that what the bill is intended to do and what the bill allows for are two completely separate things. You forget that the control will be passed into human hands, and human hands are greedy.

The bill may act as originally intended for a few months or years, but eventually - slowly but surely - they will start to strangle the throat of American internet.

I support the ideas behind SOPA. I do NOT support SOPA, because it is poorly worded and grants far too much power to the government and the big corporations, without really doing the little artists any favors.

You realize that this bill isn't blocking ANY sites. They are ALL still accessible through their IP in the address bar. And the entertainment industry is a miniscule part of the internet as a whole which doesn't warrant this backlash, ESPECIALLY if it's not actually doing anything. So my question with this is that if what they say they're trying to do doesn't fix anything then what are their real motives?

While you bring up some nice points, I'd like to remind you that what the bill is intended to do and what the bill allows for are two completely separate things. You forget that the control will be passed into human hands, and human hands are greedy.

The bill may act as originally intended for a few months or years, but eventually - slowly but surely - they will start to strangle the throat of American internet.

I support the ideas behind SOPA. I do NOT support SOPA, because it is poorly worded and grants far too much power to the government and the big corporations, without really doing the little artists any favors.

it is that wya with any bill thats passed, how about the patriot act. dosent that give the ability for corruption aswell? Theres always oppurtunites to misuse the power that are given thats why people are spose to trust that legitimate officials are the ones in control of this power. But for anything that could become abusive to just say no because it may some day be abused is a shame. I would hope that the good of a bill (any one not just SOPA) would be denied just because people are too worried about it being abused. I would say when the time comes take care of the people abusing it and leave the benefits for everyone else.

You realize that this bill isn't blocking ANY sites. They are ALL still accessible through their IP in the address bar. And the entertainment industry is a miniscule part of the internet as a whole which doesn't warrant this backlash, ESPECIALLY if it's not actually doing anything. So my question with this is that if what they say they're trying to do doesn't fix anything then what are their real motives?

its not just about blocking sites, its also about punishing those sites for breaking the laws, and you say that because "entertainment" isnt a big part of the internet, stealing and reproducing entertainment that the creator of get no money for dosent matter? its just okay to rip everyone off and reproduce the media anyways? Like aly bill if it dosent work, dosent do anything wastes money or has a bad impact you repeal it. Nut just to say you shouldn't worry about it because its not important is a backwards way to think. and for that reason people like you would allow people to keep stealing copyrighted media. its a shame.

it is that wya with any bill thats passed, how about the patriot act. dosent that give the ability for corruption aswell? Theres always oppurtunites to misuse the power that are given thats why people are spose to trust that legitimate officials are the ones in control of this power. But for anything that could become abusive to just say no because it may some day be abused is a shame. I would hope that the good of a bill (any one not just SOPA) would be denied just because people are too worried about it being abused. I would say when the time comes take care of the people abusing it and leave the benefits for everyone else.
And you appreciate being groped at the airport? I certainly didn't.

Back