• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

T9K reunion server

My apologies, I continue to forget that it was over three years ago when that map was launched, and I'm one of the few surviving members.

I've been playing for close to 3 years (beta 1.8) and I still don't know what you're talking about :(

all but the modern version of Minetopia secret

Does the reference to "modern version" means you're going to import Minetopia from some old world(s)?

So what is the plan for Minetopia then? I assume that since one of the goals some people have is to prevent people from being split across two worlds, the plan must be that you won't be able to mine outside your plot in Minetopia, and therefore everyone will be forced to spend lots of time in the Outlands?

I'd like to address the issue of protected areas, or, more colloquially, towns.
As I understand it, there are three ways to go about this.
  1. No Protected Areas: the world is a free-for-all where trust is earned and grief is rampant.
  2. One Protected Area: consists of a single, large safe area in the middle of a free-for-all world where all admitted players mine and craft together.
  3. Multiple Protected Areas: the world consists of one or more separate protected zones, each with a handful population of players

Except this is proved wrong by Theo's server, where despite the ability to have multiple towns, just about everyone is in one town.

Do you think that if someone in the town gets pissed off and no longer wants to be in the town, it's better that they don't have the option of creating their own town, and instead leave the server?

Perhaps at a later date, when the community becomes large enough, an admin can allow a second protected zone and have it populated with at least a sizeable amount of active players. Dual citizenship should be an option for players wanting to build in both protected zones.

I still don't get why it's the admins' decision to organize people into towns and decide how many towns there should be. People can make their own decisions on Theo's server but generally still choose to hang around each other, but can leave if they want. I don't like that my choices are going to be (a) be stuck in the one town, (b) build in the Outlands where I can get griefed, or (c) leave the server.

Forcing everyone into one town seems like some kind of social experiment to me.

I have no idea what is going on but I feel like important things are happening.
Though I also feel like all this reunion stuff and things being discussed happened either well before my time or during one of my erratic hiatus'.
I guess what I'm getting at here, what exactly reuniony stuff are we talking about?

I have no idea what is going on but I feel like important things are happening.
Though I also feel like all this reunion stuff and things being discussed happened either well before my time or during one of my erratic hiatus'.
I guess what I'm getting at here, what exactly reuniony stuff are we talking about?
We're planning an unofficial official T9k server. Basically, a community server designed to the wants and desires of the community as a whole. A lot of us miss the connected feel the servers of old gave to the community, and while you'd think the community servers would scratch that particular itch, they don't, as some people still hold grudges against other members for whatever reason, and thus, avoid the servers that might be moderated by them.

How many of the T9K players that were around back then are still around?
I joined at the tail end of that server's life. Just long enough to join a city that was, at that point, just a shell of it's former self.

Not sure if that counts as putting me on that tally of oldfarts that are still here.

Ok, I'm going to be the guy who brings this up...In beta...Bed's didn't work... You died....welcome back to spawn every time.

I kind of perversely enjoyed that Risk/Reward factor cause you knew you had a long walk ahead of you. Any thoughts on if that should be incorporated?

Ok, I'm going to be the guy who brings this up...In beta...Bed's didn't work... You died....welcome back to spawn every time.

I kind of perversely enjoyed that Risk/Reward factor cause you knew you had a long walk ahead of you. Any thoughts on if that should be incorporated?
ALL of my yes

The server doesn't have to wait for 1.8, due to the fact that the stone variants (andesite, granite, and diorite) all turn to smooth stone when loaded in 1.7 and revert to their original form in 1.8. The retro-generation features of ocean temples allows them to be generated in chunks not often visited when we go to 1.8. I'm pregenerating a 16000 x 16000 block map for the outlands using one of the snapshots. It's also taking a very long time, I'm about halfway done. Unfortunately, that means that we have to have a world border to prevent 1.7 generating its own chunks.

The server doesn't have to wait for 1.8, due to the fact that the stone variants (andesite, granite, and diorite) all turn to smooth stone when loaded in 1.7 and revert to their original form in 1.8. The retro-generation features of ocean temples allows them to be generated in chunks not often visited when we go to 1.8. I'm pregenerating a 16000 x 16000 block map for the outlands using one of the snapshots. It's also taking a very long time, I'm about halfway done. Unfortunately, that means that we have to have a world border to prevent 1.7 generating its own chunks.

Will that border be removed when officially on 1.8?

I've been playing for close to 3 years (beta 1.8) and I still don't know what you're talking about :(

Does the reference to "modern version" means you're going to import Minetopia from some old world(s)?

So what is the plan for Minetopia then? I assume that since one of the goals some people have is to prevent people from being split across two worlds, the plan must be that you won't be able to mine outside your plot in Minetopia, and therefore everyone will be forced to spend lots of time in the Outlands?

Except this is proved wrong by Theo's server, where despite the ability to have multiple towns, just about everyone is in one town.

Do you think that if someone in the town gets pissed off and no longer wants to be in the town, it's better that they don't have the option of creating their own town, and instead leave the server?

I still don't get why it's the admins' decision to organize people into towns and decide how many towns there should be. People can make their own decisions on Theo's server but generally still choose to hang around each other, but can leave if they want. I don't like that my choices are going to be (a) be stuck in the one town, (b) build in the Outlands where I can get griefed, or (c) leave the server.

Forcing everyone into one town seems like some kind of social experiment to me.
People may choose to do so now, since everyone knows each other and is willing to get along. I know for a fact there are exceptions, and I also know that the majority of new players to the server, were you to have a sudden influx, would tell The Empire to buzz off (as well as any other group). I've watched it over my time here.

No, no plans to import the old cities or worlds as "building worlds." I'm simply using Minetopia as a reference for those who remember what it was like. If you don't remember it, don't worry about it.

Yes, exciting things are happening. I'll give you a little hint about one exciting thing: look at the id number for granite, andesite, and diorite.
I think I noticed this earlier when I was using a snapshot: they have the same block ID as stone, but block metadata is used to determine their type. Consequently, a newly-found bug with arrows allows them to be transmuted into one another. However, block metadata is nothing new, so I may be completely wrong in guessing this is the source of your excitement.

EDIT:
I missed this. I did not know metadata is preserved even when it is unnecessary.

In beta...Bed's didn't work... You died....welcome back to spawn every time.

Wasn't that the case in the 1.0 world too? I remember a long run back to find my stuff the 3 times I fell down from a high place in that world. I learned to avoid dying, which seems to not be a necessary art on Theo's server where you respawn at your bed with all your items and XP?!?! Also I was eating breakfast on Theo's server and saw a zombie coming towards me, and since I didn't have enough hands to defend myself I logged off, and when I logged back on I was dead. Is there a plugin that somehow allows you to be killed after you've logged off? If so I guess I'd better log off whenever I'm eating/distracted/etc., i.e. spend less time on the server.

the stone variants (andesite, granite, and diorite) all turn to smooth stone when loaded in 1.7 and revert to their original form in 1.8

I assume when you mine any of these in 1.7, you end up with cobblestone and the metadata is thrown away?

Just saying to you guys, I'd love to help in any way I can. Either by testing the server trying to find bugs or helping write plugins. I want to help this be the best thing that we can make it.

Wasn't that the case in the 1.0 world too? I remember a long run back to find my stuff the 3 times I fell down from a high place in that world. I learned to avoid dying, which seems to not be a necessary art on Theo's server where you respawn at your bed with all your items and XP?!?! Also I was eating breakfast on Theo's server and saw a zombie coming towards me, and since I didn't have enough hands to defend myself I logged off, and when I logged back on I was dead. Is there a plugin that somehow allows you to be killed after you've logged off? If so I guess I'd better log off whenever I'm eating/distracted/etc., i.e. spend less time on the server.

I assume when you mine any of these in 1.7, you end up with cobblestone and the metadata is thrown away?
It's innefficient to check data values when you know all blocks of id 1 are smooth stone, so yes.

Back