• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

T9K reunion server

I'm of the opinion that the following applies:

2. The Beta 1.8 server was the second best set-up the server ever had. Fraught with danger and excitement, with an imminent world wipe already decided before the world began, everyone acted like nomads, never getting attached to their stuff, not building fancy but hiding instead. PvP was a thing. It was good in this setting.

The reason PVP worked was that you weren't locked into a small area encouraging you to fight (we had settlements 30K out from spawn). Your buddies only knew how to find you if you told them...that being said, if trouble showed up on your doorstep, you were free to try to defend yourself.

That or if you were bored and the buddy wanted to have a go.

The reason PVP worked was that you weren't locked into a small area encouraging you to fight (we had settlements 30K out from spawn). Your buddies only knew how to find you if you told them...that being said, if trouble showed up on your doorstep, you were free to try to defend yourself.

That or if you were bored and the buddy wanted to have a go.
Well, yeah. Hence the Outlands to serve that purpose.

Is it just me that can't get onto the server? I'm getting the error 'Can't resolve hostname' when using the IP t9kcsimiami14.no-ip.info

Dude. That server was shut off months ago. Are you still in 2014?

Oh. My apologies, haven't been on here for a while, I assumed you were all talking about the server in the original post. Should have read the whole conversation.

Oh. My apologies, haven't been on here for a while, I assumed you were all talking about the server in the original post. Should have read the whole conversation.
It's ok. Here, have a cookie.
*gives cookie*

Everything sounds good, I'm waiting for it to happen. I want to kill shit, as usual.

So I think the majority of us posting here are for a main world (like the Outlands) where everything is basically no-holds-barred (pvp, raiding, grief), and a few small, "sub-worlds" that are greylisted (can enter, but not build unless you're on the list), with LWC or similar for private chests, but no plots per say. Minimal plugins, only what is needed for smooth running of the server, nothing that will interfere with the Vanilla feel of the majority of the server.

Am I correct in saying this?

So I think the majority of us posting here are for a main world (like the Outlands) where everything is basically no-holds-barred (pvp, raiding, grief), and a few small, "sub-worlds" that are greylisted (can enter, but not build unless you're on the list), with LWC or similar for private chests, but no plots per say. Minimal plugins, only what is needed for smooth running of the server, nothing that will interfere with the Vanilla feel of the majority of the server.

Yes.

Not quite sure. Define the sub-worlds part a bit more, please.

No. I joined just as that era ended.
Basically those cities were accessed from the main map by a protected portal placed somewhere in the Outlands; they had their own dimension that was limited in size (I think the biggest was 1000x1000). Other than Minetopia, if you weren't on the whitelist, you couldn't build in these worlds.

Basically those cities were accessed from the main map by a protected portal placed somewhere in the Outlands; they had their own dimension that was limited in size (I think the biggest was 1000x1000). Other than Minetopia, if you weren't on the whitelist, you couldn't build in these worlds.
The only issue I see with that is that it basically forces people to join a town, or they risk getting their shit wrecked. There's also going to be an issue with size. Say we limit ourselves to 4 of these magic portals. I can almost guarantee that more than four people are going to want to be in control of their own town. So, to counter this being a issue and making things a bit easier to handle for whomever hosts the server, I propose one of those portals leads to an area where it's essentially a safe building area, yet lacks the 'town' aspect. Basically, a more rural type of thing, with houses and other builds placed randomly throughout. If people get bored of that, they can attempt to thrive in the Outlands where things are a lot more dangerous. I feel that would cover every bit of ground that's been stated as wanted from everyone in this thread, while keeping everything else intact.

Another great thing about the town worlds was the obscurity of the portals' locations. If a user could not be bothered to look up or ask about the location of a portal, assuming he even knew about it, then he could not be bothered to live in the said town. It was as simple as that. The whitelisting was the most important feature though. I would encourage this to be implemented as a greylist so that a player could at least obtain an idea of the kind of town he would be moving into before applying.

The only issue I see with that is that it basically forces people to join a town, or they risk getting their shit wrecked. There's also going to be an issue with size. Say we limit ourselves to 4 of these magic portals. I can almost guarantee that more than four people are going to want to be in control of their own town. So, to counter this being a issue and making things a bit easier to handle for whomever hosts the server, I propose one of those portals leads to an area where it's essentially a safe building area, yet lacks the 'town' aspect. Basically, a more rural type of thing, with houses and other builds placed randomly throughout. If people get bored of that, they can attempt to thrive in the Outlands where things are a lot more dangerous. I feel that would cover every bit of ground that's been stated as wanted from everyone in this thread, while keeping everything else intact.
I think you're assuming we'd give moderation powers to just anyone. Pretty sure that's a bad idea period.

There were several settlements of over 20 players in the Outlands and the 1.8 that never suffered grief or theft. I think people can figure out how to keep stuff safe. In any case, what you're describing is how Minetopia worked. The non-greylist "safe" town. I feel like creating an unlimited safe world and an unlimited f4a world would just separate the community and we'd lose the thing that made that server work.

Back