• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

T9K reunion server

Excellent work guys.

But yes, I agree with Ekgladiator and say that we wait till 1.8
Actually, that depends, will there be any world gen changes in 1.8?
Yes; there will be the new types of stone (andesite, diorite, and granite) and the new ocean temples. (I probably forgot a bunch of things.) There will also be options to customize the terrain . . .

Now then, allow me to organize my thoughts on this and matters into one coherent thought, and not just a bunch of crap posts, as I have been doing:

First of all, let me streamline the idea that I kept hinting at, as well as throwing in a couple of improvements that I've picked up along the way:

As I've kept childishly repeating, I'd like to see one large city, however I think I've come up with a way to make this a more fun reality and less of a chaotic hell-hole.

I'd like to see this metropolis type organization divided into sectors, chiefly a residential sector and a downtown+whatever the heck else. You can start up a sector you like, let's say

Residential section would have no theme no rules, anything goes. You want to live out of a tent? Fine. Do you want your house on top of a large hill where the only way to get up or down is a waterfall? Be my guest. The only rule is you cannot create crap that will lag out the members with less powerful computers. I.E. Extremely complex redstone circuits, lava waterfalls/lava art, etc.

Then perhaps we have a business sector/downtown where there will be highrises, or a Chinatown full of oriental style buildings, maybe a Catholic sector with chapels, or a Muslim sector with intricate mosques. These sectors should not be zoned or protected. Maybe you organized and built 90% of the China town sector, but feel the sudden urge to erect a mosque, sally on down there and build a mosque. Perhaps we could construct military base, for those of you who enjoy building planes, boats, rockets and missiles.

Should you want to live out of a 10-15 chunk massive Gothic castle with a few friends, or in a laboratory type hideout with a bunch of red stone, maybe a mansion from Hell itself, with lava dripping down the sides, you can do this away from the city. Not only will this help keep the city compact and lag free, it'll also give variety to the map. The hermits can do their things, and visit the city on their own terms, not having to bother with the problems that constant contact with other members will certainly create. Note, the further you travel from the city, the more remote things are, and the harder the server difficulty becomes (assuming local difficulty becomes a thing)

I know something like this won't appeal to everyone, this is just my two cents.

(Only downside is we might have a pretty ugly city for quite the while as builds aren't happening)
This is kinda the point of the City Worlds. Outlands is for hermits, PvPers, and people who want no restrictions at all. Cities are for those who want a little more structure and protection.

I'm not saying I have a solution, but we should not split the server up into two experiences unless absolutely necessary. As people have said before, that kind of thing splits up the community. It's not likely someone is going to cross that "border" that separates them, whatever it is, very often.

How often do you think anyone will cross the "change onto a completely different server" boundary? I'm guessing never, whcih is worse than "not very often".

Don't you think that sharing the same chat, even if you never cross the boundary, creates the "community" too? Or at least, to potential new members, a sense that the server is populated and worth playing on? At least a player who is on one side of the boundary and never crosses is contributing to the player numbers on the server.

As already noted, some people don't want to be anywhere near certain other people on the server. Doesn't that also meet your definition of
"splitting up the community"?

We need to come to a general consensus through talking and compromise on all fronts.

"General consensus" seems like an unrealistic goal to me. Maybe it's easier if your definition of the "T9K community" you're trying to reunite is tighter than mine (e.g. doesn't include me - I just played the game for years, that probably doesn't make me part of the "community").

This is kinda the point of the City Worlds. Outlands is for hermits, PvPers, and people who want no restrictions at all. Cities are for those who want a little more structure and protection.

So I'll be the crazed hermit in the woods while everyone else sits in the luxury of their mansions?

"General consensus" seems like an unrealistic goal to me. Maybe it's easier if your definition of the "T9K community" you're trying to reunite is tighter than mine (e.g. doesn't include me - I just played the game for years, that probably doesn't make me part of the "community").

Uh, no. Quite the opposite.
Basically what I'm trying to do is see what the majority wants on different aspects, I don't want there to be a server where one person makes all the rules in what they thought is the best way to set up a server that was intended to please the community and have everyone join and die out.
And I'm not looking to please this tight knit "Community" (I really hate that term since I've only heard that term used in rather negative circumstances, on most fronts I wouldn't really fit that bill, I joined the servers later and I rarely played survival)
Look, lets say hypothetically, I was in a group of 6 people who were self-entitled pricks who Even if they said say... They wanted the server to play in one specific way, but the majority wanted it another way, I would go with the majority.

No one person has the same idea for the ideal server, so that's why if we want to make a community server we need to make one that want the community wants, not 3 people talking on a dead webiste, not some well-known members in a convo, but for everyone who wants to get involved that are in this community.
And by community, I mean anyone who'd be willing to join a gamesnight. That being anyone looking to play, and have fun with others.

And if we try and have a server that pleases the most people possible, we can have a server that can retain the most people possible.
Because no server unless you host it will be your perfect server, so that's why we're having a conversation. If you really want something in this server that you think will be good, convince people that it would be and get them to agree with you and be the majority decision.

There's pretty much only one overriding rule to this whole shebang, and that the server has to be done in a way it hasn't been done in awhile. We've tried doing it with excessive towns and such, but that just don't keep a hold of a good playerbase, it makes people feel too limited.

(Also just for reference if you think I just disregard your comments and thoughts, again that's the total opposite. I was immensely pleased when I saw your wall of text when I opened the thread when you made that large post.)

Yes; there will be the new types of stone (andesite, diorite, and granite) and the new ocean temples. (I probably forgot a bunch of things.) There will also be options to customize the terrain . . .
Then I guess we should wait then.

But hey, hopefully means more time for talking and finalizing an idea what everyone wants.

I should mention that those of us capable of hosting a server/have experience doing so/have written plugins or are able to are in a conversation about this as well. No timeline yet, but we are looking at a test server to hammer down plugins and work out the kinks. When it happens, everyone will be given the IP and the opportunity to voice suggestions/complaints.

In the meantime, if you've yet to voice what it is you want/don't want in the server, PLEASE DO SO. We want the server to be as enjoyable as it can be while catering to the opinions of others as much as humanly possible. It doesn't matter if someone's already stated what you want/don't want, tell us anyway. The more names we can tag as 'interested', the more precise we can make things.

And, of course, spread the word to people whom you might think would be interested.

I seem to remember some of the custom plugins on the 1.3 and 1.5 worlds being pretty buggy, which wasn't very enjoyable. I hope you guys are better at it :)

I seem to remember some of the custom plugins on the 1.3 and 1.5 worlds being pretty buggy, which wasn't very enjoyable. I hope you guys are better at it :)
The benefits of having multiple experienced server administrators and plugin authors is that we know how to use a test server before putting plugins on the main server :p

I am morally opposed to orebfuscator and mob limiting plugins, in case I'm the host.

Also, if this server actually happens, I'll be taking my current server down. I'd rather not split the community, even though I'm certain that an unofficial official server would be much more popular than my current server.

In the meantime, if you've yet to voice what it is you want/don't want in the server, PLEASE DO SO. We want the server to be as enjoyable as it can be while catering to the opinions of others as much as humanly possible. It doesn't matter if someone's already stated what you want/don't want, tell us anyway. The more names we can tag as 'interested', the more precise we can make things.

And, of course, spread the word to people whom you might think would be interested.

Pvp but only in the wilderness
MCMMO- so people would actually be willing to mine or fight mobs etc.

Not sure if this was already mentioned but mining should only be available in the wilderness. That way, there is a risk element involved in resource gathering. In the main town, there would be no ores. Only vendors.

God no. People are willing to mine for resources and people are willing to fight mobs for EXP. T9K never used MCMMO and that is why I have stuck with it for the past 3 1/2 years. It would be like if we allowed players to have command blocks so they could have more to do with redstone. Minecraft is set up so the absolute highest speed of an item is possible to obtain without any external leveling system. The levels we already gain are purely for exp and enchanting. If you want to auto break any block simply get your tool with Eff V and get a beacon with Haste II. The acceptation are shovels which don't need Eff V and Snow which cannot be broken efficiently. Completely unnecessary system.

Not sure if this was already mentioned but mining should only be available in the wilderness. That way, there is a risk element involved in resource gathering. In the main town, there would be no ores. Only vendors.
And by vendors you mean players that run shops, right?

Player shops, yes. Also, an auction house of some sort would be cool.
And by vendors you mean players that run shops, right?
Before Oxytown got reverted I ran a little auction shop. I am not quite sure that plugins are needed for such a thing, I think redstone is able to complete any security or function you could want, assuming we still have a form of block protection.

Hated the mining world concept.

I am not sure if it was TreeAssist, MCMMO, or both, but a server I used to manage had to be wiped after corrupted chunks started cropping up. (If we do implement TreeAssist, which I recommend, add a delay of at least a tick between the breaking of blocks.) Regardless of whether it caused the corrupted chunks, MCMMO is buggy.

I recomend TreeAssit because it eliminates the problem of players only partially removing trees or not replanting them. By removing a block of a tree with an axe, the entire tree is removed and the appropriate amount of durability is deducted. Used properly it is more of a benefit than a risk.

I am not sure if it was TreeAssist, MCMMO, or both, but a server I used to manage had to be wiped after corrupted chunks started cropping up. (If we do implement TreeAssist, which I recommend, add a delay of at least a tick between the breaking of blocks.) Regardless of whether it caused the corrupted chunks, MCMMO is buggy.

I recomend TreeAssit because it eliminates the problem of players only partially removing trees or not replanting them. By removing a block of a tree with an axe, the entire tree is removed and the appropriate amount of durability is deducted. Used properly it is more of a benefit than a risk.
If we can make a plugin that detects the tool used and makes the chopping of the tree take the same amount of time, and also remove durability from the tool, perhaps.
Hated the mining world concept.
More along the lines of "let's NOT carve tunnels every-fucking-where under the city worlds." I mean, 1,000x1,000 isn't very big. That's not even half the size of my mines.

Also, unlike the actual mining world, the Outlands is the main world, so that's a huge difference.

Back