• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

T9K reunion server

I am morally opposed to orebfuscator and mob limiting plugins, in case I'm the host.

orebfuscator: Well yeah, it sure sucked badly. I'd rather just have people using X-ray, particularly if it's not a me vs. them thing - i.e. if I'm not competing against other players to get the best armor so I can survive in PvP, I don't care if they have 1000x more diamonds than me.

mob limiting plugins: I can't remember this too much but I think that was annoying too. On the other hand, I guess woot was trying to avoid people with crazy-sized farms which allegedly caused problems for the server and definitely caused problems for players on slow links and/or computers. Anyone have a plan to deal with this? I'd like to think: make a rule against it, enforce the rule manually. woot's plugins really turned me off the idea of enforcing rules using plugins. Someone creates too many minecarts in creative, you ban them for a while so they learn their lesson.

Hated the mining world concept.

Same. Hated it more than anything else except:

MCMMO- so people would actually be willing to mine or fight mobs etc.

Is that the plugin that I once experienced on a server (Tsysin's?) where someone made me part of some group ("vampires"?) where I was only allowed to use weapons made of gold or something like that? I don't mind plugins that make the game more exciting for you hardcore players, but could you please let us noobs just play regular Minecraft without making it too much more complicated? See, I think Towny is okay because you can just live in the wilderness, but if you want to join a town you have to figure out a bit about it, but if you suddenly start imposing all these weird rules on people it just makes the server too complicated for noobs like me.

A plugin so I don't have to climb up into the tree to cut it down properly? Wow, can I have a plugin that harvests all my food and kills the dragon for me too? Seriously I would just like to play the game rather than have a plugin play it for me :) Okay, TreeAssist doesn't seem like it's going to ruin the game, but in the 1.0 world, there was some wilderness just northeast of spawn (I think Brighton eventually purchased it) where noobs were always doing this to trees. Solution? A few of us used to go clean it up and plant saplings there sometimes.

I remember people always wanted "shop" plugins on the official T9K server, I seem to recall woot saying things about them potentially interfering with other permissions-based plugins, e.g. I could create a shop in your town. I made plenty of money trading without having a shop plugin, or even a building with a sign on it :)

Mob limiting, I feel, could be done in moderation. If someone afks at a one-hit kill farm, there could be 100+ mobs concentrated in one area. I don't mind an extended amount compared to what it was in the servers, like 50 mobs per chunk. Something that won't drain the resources, but still allow for farms to be effective.

Mining limitations, I see no point. If ugly mines under 'cities' is the main concern, after mining, turn it into something else. Fast travel system, addition farms for surplus materials/items, something. That's the awesome thing about minecraft. See something you don't like? You can change it.

No me gusta instatree-chopping plugins. It's unneeded, and it's just going to take up more resources. Plus, the explosion of items can cause potiential lag on more toaster-like computers.

Some form of anti-xray should be implemented. Not so much to prevent someone from hoarding diamonds (I never use the bloody things anyways.), but to prevent overly aggressive 'stalking' in the outlands. Anything goes is fine, but if one person can find peoples' bases stupidly easy, raid them, and move on at an accelerated rate, it kinda kills the whole point, imo. There'd be no point in hiding, and no point in really being in the Outlands at that.

No MCMMO. Every server I've been on that had it would be bugged up the butt, and there'd be a clear disadvantage to newer players to the server.

Not a mining world, in my mind it would be one world, city at the center, outside the perimeter would be wilderness where you could mine.
Yeah, I've played on a few servers like that. The central metropolis and close suburbs were ghost towns.

I am morally opposed to orebfuscator

I'm curious about this now that the thing about Noble using x-ray came out. As I said, orebfuscator sucks. Surely you want to deal with x-ray somehow though - what is your proposal? I seem to remember there are plugins that log ores so you can tell if users seem to have an unlikely amount of luck finding them?

Also on the plugins thing, I'm willing to help with testing. It's something I do a bit at work, and I found a bug in one of woot's plugins before too. Also, I used to know Java, although haven't touched it for about 4 years.

I'm curious about this now that Surely you want to deal with x-ray somehow though - what is your proposal?

I recall that Woot used to detect X-ray by investigating the mining patterns of players who collected a certain amount of diamonds within a short amount of time. He had some program that threw a flag when a player's item acquisition history shows that quick collection of diamonds.

This method doesn't prevent x-ray altogether, but it does pinpoint the perpetrator and, depending on how quickly action is taken, could minimize damage.

I recall that Woot used to detect X-ray by investigating the mining patterns of players who collected a certain amount of diamonds within a short amount of time. He had some program that threw a flag when a player's item acquisition history shows that quick collection of diamonds.

This method doesn't prevent x-ray altogether, but it does pinpoint the perpetrator and, depending on how quickly action is taken, could minimize damage.
Except said system is flawed. For example, when I'm doing serious mining, I expose the nodes but leave them be until I feel I've scanned enough, then I harvest all of the loot at once. This would have the potential to flag that system, and yet be completely legit.

There are plenty of X-ray plugins to look into. On a technical side, I think we should avoid anything that can cancel a block breaking event - we don't want to make the player wait on whatever logic the X-ray detection plugin uses before they can see the block break.

I'm curious about this now that the thing about Noble using x-ray came out. As I said, orebfuscator sucks. Surely you want to deal with x-ray somehow though - what is your proposal? I seem to remember there are plugins that log ores so you can tell if users seem to have an unlikely amount of luck finding them?

Also on the plugins thing, I'm willing to help with testing. It's something I do a bit at work, and I found a bug in one of woot's plugins before too. Also, I used to know Java, although haven't touched it for about 4 years.
Yes. There are plenty of other ways to deal with xraying.

I really wouldn't have any objection to the Gods plug-in if it was only allowed in a particular area of the world and didn't allow cursing - i.e. if you hated it you could get away from it :)

I really wouldn't have any objection to the Gods plug-in if it was only allowed in a particular area of the world and didn't allow cursing - i.e. if you hated it you could get away from it :)
Yeah, that plugin was kinda fun, but ended up as a disaster.
I think that sort of thing would have to be a server basically based around it and not having it just thrown in for giggles.

Apparently 1.8 will have network compression - that is, chunk data is compressed when transferring from server to client. Translation: much less latency lag, slightly more CPU lag for both server and client. They've also been looking into multi-threaded worlds, so a multi-core computer could potentially handle one world per CPU.

Dinnerbone said:
...the average single packet to send a few chunks usually compresses down from ~800KB to ~30KB.
^
That is an amazing drop in network traffic. I am officially hyped.

Edit: Also 40% less draw calls per frame (higher fps).

Back