Team Fortress 2 General Thread

Audi

G'day all, Vorsprung here.

I'm sure you've all noticed that there's more than a few TF2-related threads scattered throughout the forums, and for those of you who just don't care about TF2, it's probably not very nice. I mean, we have a pony thread, so why don't we have a Pyro thread? Besides, me and my other fellow TF2 lovers found that there was no one thread that we could just generally discuss TF2 in. Instead, we sorta awkwardly posted off-topic in the trade and loadout thread.

So here we are.

This thread is for the general discussion, announcements and arrangements regarding, and / or any other sexy chatter about TF2.

GROUND RULES:​

1: This thread is for TF2 and TF2 only. I mean, sure, this is T9k, but let's have some decorum.

2: Where you can, keep the more niche discussions to the more niche threads. Want to trade? Talk in the trade thread. Want to insult fox_news? Do that anywhere else.

3: I'm the King of TF2. This is undeniable, and I want your hats.

Some useful links to other more specialized threads:

> the trade thread - for the purchase and sale of items among your Team9000 buddies

> the loadouts thread - where you can discuss the merits of different weapons, and ask questions about gameplay and item choices

> Vorsprung's TITs - a rather misleadingly titled collection of informative gameplay articles you can learn valuable advice from (Episodes 6-9 still in development)

To start things off, can I suggest that we have more TF2 game nights? TF2 game nights are fun. Especially when they involve maiming Woot, I love maiming Woot.

I need a merasmus game night, because matchmade servers are full of noobs and trolls.

I've finally gotten a hold of a Haunted Sir Hootsy, so I'm happy about that x3

I need a merasmus game night, because matchmade servers are full of noobs and trolls.
and yes, I completely agree with that. if you can't get Merasmus down to half health before the 60 sec countdown you're screwed. =.=

The other important thing about defeating Merasmus is that you need teamwork. When I managed to beat him, admins were online, so everyone was playing friendly. There was a truce, and everyone had a party on the point until Merasmus rocked up, at which time we fucked his anus violently.

We also committed ritualistic suicide in the pit. We all jumped in at once, clogged the pit, and then made a nice little pile of corpses on the point.

The other important thing about defeating Merasmus is that you need teamwork. When I managed to beat him, admins were online, so everyone was playing friendly. There was a truce, and everyone had a party on the point until Merasmus rocked up, at which time we fucked his anus violently.

We also committed ritualistic suicide in the pit. We all jumped in at once, clogged the pit, and then made a nice little pile of corpses on the point.
..... I just....have....I just have no idea how to respond to this...except for...the fucking anus violently...is hot....

Don't we technically already have one of these?
"Problem with too many TF2 threads? I know! Make moar!"

...anyway, hopefully we may finally keep our discussions concise. I too would enjoy more frequent TF2 game nights. Not the small 5v5 unofficial ones that some of us gather for multiple times a week. Indeed, those are very fun, but I'd like a larger variety of people to do battle with.
But that's not really a proper thread, and it's clogged as balls.
This one has direction!
Application!
And it's done by me so it's much better.

Also, good job Woot on adding another TF2 game night. Pity it's on during the week during the worst possible time for me.
But ah well.
We'll see.

when is the game night? I finnally got TF2 and excited to play.Vor, wonna set up our own little game night...for some tips and tricks for this newb. I do still read ur TIT's though (I love your TITS btw...they are so....hot....) i just want some pointers. :D

I need help on getting better at TF2. Any suggestions?

Take only half of Vorsprung's advice.

Also, find a single class you really love and learn from another T9ker who plays that class really well.

If that's pyro, then you'll have to talk with Vorsprung anyway.

you play the game, find a class your really good at (I am good at spy, and at demoman) and use it. Make sure you took the turtorial. It helps a lot. even if it doesn't show you how to play as heavy, sniper, medic, scout, and a couple others. Just keep training. I have little knolage because I like playing on the minecraft TF2 servers.

EDIT: what zennai said also. if you get good at spy, don't be shy to ask my some tips. I REFUSE to play as pyro always because of how over powered he is. I use sniper as my backup. :D

If you wanna get better, watch people who have more experience pla. Go to spectator mode in one of our game nights and watch how we work.

I suggest offline practice with bots to experiment with the playability of various classes. You will also want to play around with weapon loadouts this way to see what works for you.

I suggest offline practice with bots to experiment with the playability of various classes. You will also want to play around with weapon loadouts this way to see what works for you.
Bots don't have human logic, they aren't very good to train on.

No matter how bad you are at first, pick a class and grind away at it. The hardest part is getting over that hurdle, unlike a lot of shooters you can't just pick up and play well.

Edit: Also, killing bots is way too easy. A simple 'Pop and Shoot' method works stupendously well on AI.

No matter how bad you are at first, pick a class and grind away at it. The hardest part is getting over that hurdle, unlike a lot of shooters you can't just pick up and play well.

Edit: Also, killing bots is way too easy. A simple 'Pop and Shoot' method works stupendously well on AI.
Also, find a good team. Even very good players cannot "solo" another team, the game simply doesn't work that way. I'd suggest finding a group of reliable server to play on, such as one of the skial servers. For newer players, I'd suggest Payload, being as the objective is very direct and simple. King of the Hill (koth) is very fun, though often it lacks the team element and newer players can be obliterated. Control point maps are also pretty simple (Such as Gorge), but can occasionally be very confusing or difficult to play.

Also, even though it is the "classic" TF2 map, don't play 2Fort. It is not very noob-friendly.

If you wish to work on fairly basic mechanics, but not have to worry too much about another team of players to kill, you can play Mann vs. Machine (MvM). It develops many basic gameplay elements, focusing more on how to play classes and use weapons themselves rather than put them to normal use. Many people here at Team9000 are also always ready for another round of MvM.

As far as custom maps, such as surf maps or the Saxton Hale mod, they can be fun, but are not recommended to learn how to play the game.

To start with, practice makes perfect.
There are some practice modes on TF2. They aren't great, but they are a start.

Play on servers and talk to people.

Ignore Lukeperson; he is the epitome of a nub.

Read my TITs; they are largely technical, but do have decent info.

Wiki wiki wiki wiki.

Additionally, add me on Steam and I'll coach you.

In other news, I think it's worth setting down some special Halloween rules for the game night. Merasmus, the new Halloween boss is ridiculously difficult, and teamwork is important if you want to kill him.

You people are poor, and you need that killing-Merasmus-travelling-to-portals-seecret-achievement-hat.

So, here's some official-unofficial-Vorsprung-Halloween-hypenated rules, eh:

1: When playing on koth_lakeside_event (the Merasmus map) or koth_viaduct_event (the Monoculus map) let's have a truce on the point. Wait on the control point for Merasmus / Monoculus to appear, and then kill the fucker. We can have a party on the cap! Hell, I'll even hold a costume party (if I'm there), and give a prize to best dressed.

2: No killing on Skull Island. That's a cock move.

3: Mann Manor and Harvest aren't as important, so normal gameplay there.

Back