Team9000 Book Club Thread

320x469.png.bb592e8084950131f6b422000a2d0e7b.large

Now I have not read it yet but I hear that book is pretty horrid. I will sit down and read it one of these days when I feel like reading something awful again (last time this happened I read Mein Kamph). I agree with John Green on a lot of points but he invitations a politically correct haven where I look for a world where anyone and everyone can insult everyone else without restrictions so long as nobody is killed or horridly harmed. If you are interested in my point of view I would recommend reading Watchmen, V for Vendetta or spending all of 5 minutes on 4chan.org/b/. If you are more interested in his point you may want to look into the work of Victoria Summers. She is very extreme in her points but the ideals if both are quite similar. And I should probably point out she tried to kill Andy Warhol but it is still a good idea to check her out anyway.

If you haven't even read it, are you basing some of your opinion off of what other people have said about the book? Because that's faily bad to have that close-minded opinion, without having even read the book.

Also, Animal Farm by George Orwell, I love it!

If you haven't even read it, are you basing some of your opinion off of what other people have said about the book? Because that's faily bad to have that close-minded opinion, without having even read the book.

Basing my opinions off of John Greens other work. Specifically Crash Coarse and what little I have watched of him on Vlogbrothers.

Animal Farm was my favourite by George Orwell too; i totally liked it more than 1984, albeit was good book. The 1960's or so color tv version of animal farm was good as well; though the ending is different than the book; other than that the tv version kept everything exactly as it was in the book.

Bacon. please read your last sentence again. If you don't want to, then here, lemme bold it for you.
I will sit down and read it one of these days when I feel like reading something awful again.

Dude. RIGHT THERE you just showed opinion on something you have no knowledge of; and before you even say something like "oh read what i posted before blahblah" Stop being ignorant.

It's not funny, no one cares.

It only ruins your own image.

So, um. I've had no books to read for a little over a month. There is only so much that the Wall Street Journal can supplement. I'm taking book suggestions. When I find my copy of Catch 22, I'll read that (used to be my sisters, it kinda got *temporarily misplaced*, also, is it any good?) and then read books you guys suggest. I really need to read a book, I'm getting bored of newspaper reading and constant gaming.

How about...

You read the book?

Like seriously, don't form an opinion until you have some sort of practical experience.

See, this is a valid and fair point.

Bacon. please read your last sentence again. If you don't want to, then here, lemme bold it for you.

Dude. RIGHT THERE you just showed opinion on something you have no knowledge of; and before you even say something like "oh read what i posted before blahblah" Stop being ignorant.

It's not funny, no one cares.

It only ruins your own image.

This is you needlessly being an asshat when the point was already made.

C'mon guys, share some love. Quite a lot of people seem to have a stick up their ass lately, can't we just play nice? We've already got one porch we can't step on, yano? *cough* moongrandpa *cough*

C'mon guys, share some love. Quite a lot of people seem to have a stick up their ass lately, can't we just play nice? We've already got one porch we can't step on, yano? *cough* moongrandpa *cough*

The love part i agree with; i mean granted (i myself included) seem to have been on edge for a while now, but c'mon man, the post wasn't needless if he refused to acknowledge the truth Behind Vors's Post and and tried to go back to his previous statement; anyone can see doing that just leads to a roundabout. Not trying to like, disrespect or flame or whatever colour you like, but i feel it needed to be said.

Book wise the next book i think i want to read next is a book i have titled "Area 51: a novel." sounds promising so here's hoping (in the next few weeks :p)

The love part i agree with; i mean granted (i myself included) seem to have been on edge for a while now, but c'mon man, the post wasn't needless if he refused to acknowledge the truth Behind Vors's Post and and tried to go back to his previous statement; anyone can see doing that just leads to a roundabout. Not trying to like, disrespect or flame or whatever colour you like, but i feel it needed to be said.

True dat, but just chill muchacho haha.

True dat, but just chill muchacho haha.
I've apparently misplaced a whole box of tampons up my ass, so I've refrained from posting

BUT
I'm currently looking for a book to read, I like certain kinds of fantasy and any sort of nonfiction.
(If i'm not supposed to use this thread to get recommendations, please attack me)

I've apparently misplaced a whole box of tampons up my ass, so I've refrained from posting

BUT
I'm currently looking for a book to read, I like certain kinds of fantasy and any sort of nonfiction.
(If i'm not supposed to use this thread to get recommendations, please attack me)

Fantasy as in...? I mean like if it's just like fantasy/fiction; i could recommend some good ol american classics if you'd like

STAY OFF MY LAWN!!

*throws the entire Harry Potter series at ConroD*

I would suggest the Inheritance cycle if you haven't already read them. You know...the Eragon series.

So we finished reading The great Gatsby and watched the movie in class; here's my thoughts:

Storyline wise the book was really good; i mean a man who made his life to impress a girl who thought he left was impressive in itself; all the details and attitudes of the characters totally made it better; Even in the movie as far as costumes go, they went to the company that Fitzgerald himself went to buy clothing from. there's a lot of historical facts in the book which are subtle, but fun to pick up on if you're a history buff like me.

On the other side of the coin though, the book has its faults. For starters FItzgerald was horrible at grammar, which is evident at least 3 times every few pages. Along on that detail is that he jumps from character to character without a heads up, and when that character talks, either going in the past or remaining in the present, without a heads up, which not only threw me off, but legitly everyone in my class. Another issue i had along with others in my class was the chapter length.

There are only Nine chapters to the book, but the issue is that one chapter could easily be split up into at least three, and it's for that issue that i lost interest at first.

So yeah, i mean it's a good story, but book wise, i did not enjoy reading it.

So we finished reading The great Gatsby and watched the movie in class; here's my thoughts:

Storyline wise the book was really good; i mean a man who made his life to impress a girl who thought he left was impressive in itself; all the details and attitudes of the characters totally made it better; Even in the movie as far as costumes go, they went to the company that Fitzgerald himself went to buy clothing from. there's a lot of historical facts in the book which are subtle, but fun to pick up on if you're a history buff like me.

On the other side of the coin though, the book has its faults. For starters FItzgerald was horrible at grammar, which is evident at least 3 times every few pages. Along on that detail is that he jumps from character to character without a heads up, and when that character talks, either going in the past or remaining in the present, without a heads up, which not only threw me off, but legitly everyone in my class. Another issue i had along with others in my class was the chapter length.

There are only Nine chapters to the book, but the issue is that one chapter could easily be split up into at least three, and it's for that issue that i lost interest at first.

So yeah, i mean it's a good story, but book wise, i did not enjoy reading it.
I think you're missing out on the fact that it's a very stylized book. That's why it's considered great literature. Just because jumping from character to character and atypical sentence structure isn't your thing doesn't mean Fitzgerald had bad grammar or didn't know how to write.
I mean, like what you like, but I feel like you mistook his unique form for error when actually it was intentional the whole time.
nawimsayn?

Recently finished reading the "Young Samurai" series written by Chris Bradford, Jane Eyre written by Charlotte Bronte and am currently reading Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex written by Eoin Colfer.

So, I finished reading the Artemis Fowl series. I can say without a doubt that it is one of the best series I've had the pleasure of reading, and I've read a metric shit-ton of books in my relatively short existence.

It ends in such a manner that while it may leave the reader yearning for another installment, the ending itself encapsulates not only the prevalent theme of the series, that of Artemis's development as a character, but the genius of the character itself.

Thus I can state that after finishing the series I was left yearning for more, yet at the same time satisfied with the manner in which the series concluded.

It's been almost a year and a half since the last post in this thread. The forums are seemingly dead, I have no clue how mumble is doing, and there’s been a lack of substantial discussion here for a while. So without further ado, let’s get cracking.

In my last post, I described Artemis Fowl as "one of the best series I've had the pleasure of reading". In hindsight, that was a gross exaggeration on my part stemming from a condition I seem to suffer from where I over-hype any text that I've enjoyed upon its conclusion. My opinion that it left me yearning for another instalment hasn't changed, and it certainly deserves to be read by anyone interested in the genre or looking for a case of good character development. But does it belong in the category of "one of the best"? No. On that note, now we arrive at the point where the reason I necro'd a year old thread is revealed.

Worm, a serial novel written by Wildbow, is one piece of literature I can say definitely deserves to be placed in the "one of the best" category. “Worm is about "An introverted teenage girl with an unconventional superpower, Taylor goes out in costume to find escape from a deeply unhappy and frustrated civilian life. Her first attempt at taking down a supervillain sees her mistaken for one, thrusting her into the midst of the local ‘cape’ scene’s politics, unwritten rules, and ambiguous morals. As she risks life and limb, Taylor faces the dilemma of having to do the wrong things for the right reasons." (From the About Page).

Worm is many things. Massive (Approximately 1.6 Million Words) and character sprawling. Dark and gritty. Smartly written and thoroughly engaging. Unapologetic about the themes portrayed within the text. Most of all, Worm immediately grabs you by the reigns and never lets it go as it immerses you in the increasingly shitty life of Taylor Hebert. It is definitely worth reading if you have the time, and can be found Here.

Wildbow has since written a further 2 web serials, Pact and Twig, the former completed whilst the latter is currently in production. Chapter's for Twig are updated twice a week on "Mondays, some Wednesdays, and Thursday’s with chapter being uploaded at midnight est". Anyone who read and enjoyed Worm should consider reading the not as good Pact and the shaping up to be almost as good Twig.

Would highly recommend reading The Realms of the Elderlings books by Robin Hobb.

Just finished the Farseer trilogy and it's fucking brilliant, barring the somewhat mildly disappointing ending.

Back