Team9000 Minecraft (Community Reboot)

Before I start, I'd like to apologize for the semi disaster that was serpents pass. Was like my 2nd time ever using world paint and was way overdone and hope the incompatible aspect for builds that that map was doesn't deter any hope of another build of mine. With that said, I felt that since that map was obviously everything wrong I decided to see what I could come up with if it was "right". I talked to a lot of the people on the server, tsysin mostly who graciously offered to do a walk thru/test of the map and give feedback on it. I've been working slowly/passively on a map for the past week/2 weeks or so now to see what would be the most optimal map for building and the type of aspect people want from a map.

This is what I came up with.
04b5f6f3ad.png

About 1.5x the size of Serpents Pass it has pretty much something for everyone. Expansive varying biomes with something unique to every island.

When making this I kept 3 things in mind.
1. Have flat land so people can actually build on stuff.
2. Keep the trees more spaced out.
3.Variation.

With that in mind and with some critique from people on the server I went to work.
Here is a imgur album with a picture of pretty much every island excluding a few small ones. I've ordered the islands in the same pattern that I'll list them on here so it won't be too confusing/you can scroll along with it.
http://imgur.com/a/nNLNd

Fairly small island in the very middle. Small, barren, flat and perfect for a spawn. On all 4 angled sides are medium land masses plastered with the biome or attribute to the island that is in that direction so people know their direction and way around the map without getting confused.

Starting directly east is a small mesa island that connects to a red clay strip with leads into the desert biome. The desert biome has canyon type rises that are covered with a mesa and sand. The biome is surrounded by custom trees fitting to the desert/sandy setting. it continutes I bit more west onto a desert island string and onto a forest island.

Directly west of the of the desert biome you'll find a island with a extreme jungle biome with tropical plants. The highest point is barren and open for a build.

West of this is a small island that leads to the snow biome. This land mass has rolling hills with custom pine trees, high flat lands, high peaks, and icebergs piercing out the side of it. The surrounding ocean is frozen with a ice sheet connecting to the main islands snow land.

North of this is the pirates cove/tropical land mass. Surrounded by a wall and infested with tropical trees and broken islands and rivers with varying flat lands it has perfect potential for pirate ship/congo type builds and such.

East of this is the last big land mass which is a open flat land with normal generation and very little oddities. Aside from that another suggestion thrown to me by tsysin was to add caves, and thanks to worldpaints wonderful potential I combined generated ravines and chasms to create these expansive caverns under the normal island for those that like them.

After the islands there are a few small islands with some random ideas I had. One being a giant mountain surrounded by low grounds with tall trees. Another is a outback raised ground with flat trees on top and another is some flat terrain. Scattered around these islands are smaller flat islands that are natural and mostly normal generation aside from a few trees for those who are into that sort of thing.

I'm still open to suggestions on the main overlay of the map and major changes. Once I have that finalized and work on it in game/voxel I can't do much more in world painter.
With all this said, I haven't even shown this version to anyone aside from tsysin and only a early version of this to gurw who said it would be considered when SP gets boring. This might not even make it onto the server, I just wanted to post it to get some feedback on it and some ideas to see what you all think.

Also for any worries if this does become possible, all deep oceans have been either cleared or made too small for underwater whatstheycalled to spawn and I've gone thru the whole map in 1.8 and put it in a map overlay to check if any spawned and none have shown up. There are no resources and the caves are simply caves. I am open to all and any changes or suggestions

This isn't the worst map I've ever seen, but I'd much prefer stuff that actually looked like Minecraft terrain, trees, etc.

I don't understand why having PvP turned on is important because it keeps the server more "vanilla", but then vanilla terrain generation isn't good enough.

This isn't the worst map I've ever seen, but I'd much prefer stuff that actually looked like Minecraft terrain, trees, etc.

I don't understand why having PvP turned on is important because it keeps the server more "vanilla", but then vanilla terrain generation isn't good enough.
I updated it with more vanilla terrain and removed a lot of the silly terrain.

FYI there is now some prototype support for storage minecarts on the Southbridge to Serpent's Pass nether rail (in that particular direction). I haven't done anything to make sending the minecarts from SB any easier, but at the SP end, any carts that don't trip the tripwire above the track (i.e. ones that don't have a player or some other tall mob) get sent through another nether portal to a separate portal on the surface. This is in a sort of "secure" room on your right as you come out of the normal portal on the surface - I think since the door is protected with /cpublic, non-SP players shouldn't be able to get in there. I'll try to work out something at the SB end so you can queue up some carts to send. Note that I'm pretty sure the carts will stop if they go outside of the chunks that are loaded, so you have to follow them, but you probably shouldn't follow them too closely or you might end up going onto the storage minecart track, which will involve temporary suffocation.

Let me know if you have any trouble with this.

Some people had some trouble with this so I turned it off, but I've just made some changes to it (a second tripwire that is adjacent to the rail that switches) so I've re-enabled it. Let me know if you have trouble, i.e. you end up going to the wrong portal like before.

Would love to have avatar-type floating islands. Not sure if you put that in or not.

Overall, though, I like it. And it looks like a nice balanced map.

I'm obviously not active, but just to put a thought out there:

Maybe one more island that's more of a mosh pit? Nothing better than cresting a ridge and seeing something entirely new, or rounding a bend.

Basically an environment with a bit of everything,

Sorry, I seem to have broken The End. I've tried about 5 times to go into the portal and I just fall through it into the water. I guess what I did wrong was that I put some water source blocks right next to the obsidian platform where you spawn in The End in the hope that it'd stop endermen from hanging out on the platform (one hit me as soon as I spawned today). I didn't see anything at http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/End_Portal to suggest this would break teleporting to The End, I figured the running water would just be destroyed and re-created each time we went there.

Any chance an admin could fix it up please?

Since I don't feel like writing a monologue, here's a fly through of the map sped up. Added more flat islands, filled in a lot of the blank land in between islands and made it more vanilla like.
09b861e4be.png

Hope ya like it

Got any more critique or suggestions I'm all ears. If you think I'm wasting my time and hate everything about it, tell me as well.

Since I don't feel like writing a monologue, here's a fly through of the map sped up. Added more flat islands, filled in a lot of the blank land in between islands and made it more vanilla like.
09b861e4be.png

Hope ya like it

Got any more critique or suggestions I'm all ears. If you think I'm wasting my time and hate everything about it, tell me as well.
No more volcano island? :/

Back