Texas to secede from the US? More to follow? Wait... What?

Now, if you want an outsider's opinion, this will majorly screw everyone over.

Firstly, the U.S. government will lose the majority of its Republican voters, leaving a large chance of a democratic win, creating (essentially) a single-party system.

Secondly, Texas will lose the majority of its democratic voters, and become entrenched in republican beliefs, creating serious problems such as the ones we could have potentially faced if Mitt Romney was elected.

Anyway, as a warning, this is coming from a left-wing point-of-view, but I still believe the essentials are there. This is NOT a good idea in any way, shape or form.

All I keep thinking about is the Civil war. I keep wondering if we're going to repeat history. The Civil War was bad enough in the 1860's, but now our weapons are much worse. Though are medical treatments are better than a shot of whiskey or laudanum and a saw.

I sincerely hope President Obama has staffers that screen these suggestions first, or else we'll see this:

obamafacepalm.jpg

I don't know if anyone else is Canadian but:

Quebec (one of the larger/more populated provinces) nearly seceded from Canada in 1995. There was a provincial referendum and it was really close.

Separate: 49.42%
Don't Separate: 50.58%

I don't remember all the details from my history classes but basically they would have their own government and have more control over their funding and laws but would share Canadas currency and share military. You can read more about it here.

I strongly doubt Texas would ever get the support to try something like this. But then again, most of us didn't think Quebecs separation talk would lead to a referendum.
Yep.. Some people still want this to happen @_o

I don't know if anyone else is Canadian but:

Quebec (one of the larger/more populated provinces) nearly seceded from Canada in 1995. There was a provincial referendum and it was really close.

Separate: 49.42%
Don't Separate: 50.58%

I don't remember all the details from my history classes but basically they would have their own government and have more control over their funding and laws but would share Canadas currency and share military. You can read more about it here.

I strongly doubt Texas would ever get the support to try something like this. But then again, most of us didn't think Quebecs separation talk would lead to a referendum.
Interesting fact, Quebec can't actually survive without power, water, food, gas, and everything else that they currently receive from the rest of Canada - which would stop the second the paperwork was signed for secession. If they were to secede, I highly doubt they'd even get away with sharing the military - the people of Canada wouldn't stand for it. Don't get me wrong, I love Quebec, but the separatists are stupid fucks.

flagg-texas.gif

COMMON FELLOW TEXANS
WE CAN INTO OWN COUNTRY
WE HAZ ONE BIRRION NATURAL GAS WELLS
WE HAZ RICK PARRY
THAT'S A FOR AMERICA
WE CAN DO EET
WE MUST DO EET
flagg-texas.gif

side protip:
the amount of anti gay sentiments in a country is directly proportional to the amount of sex people are not getting (particularly men)

View attachment 133591
COMMON FELLOW TEXANS
WE CAN INTO OWN COUNTRY
WE HAZ ONE BIRRION NATURAL GAS WELLS
WE HAZ RICK PARRY
THAT'S A FOR AMERICA
WE CAN DO EET
WE MUST DO EET
View attachment 133591
side protip:
the amount of anti gay sentiments in a country is directly proportional to the amount of sex people are not getting (particularly men)

Mental Image:

AsianCowboy2.jpg

Well, maybe he needs to be a little fatter and older.

Hell No!
If that happens then Rocky Top will become Half a top!

It's ok man, if we secede from the Union, I'll setup a import/export business and claim a large portion of previously owned government land as my empire.

Some interesting petitions I saw earlier...
whitehouse.gov said:
Peacefully grant the City of Atlanta leave to withdraw from the State of Georgia and remain part of the United States
whitehouse.com said:
Legally recognize Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group
whitehouse.com said:
ALLOW ALASKA TO SECEDE FROM A DYSFUNCTIONAL UNION
whitehouse.com said:
have the President to attend a Fark.com party. If scheduling does not permit, at least have a beer with Drew Curtis
whitehouse.com said:
Deport Everyone That Signed a Petition To Withdraw Their State From The United States Of America
whitehouse.com said:
Strip everyone who signed a petition to secede of their citizenship and exile them
This one was up this morning, but I guess it was taken down...
whitehouse.com said:
Legalize crystal fucking weed

Back