The LGBT Thread

Moving on from theories about chemicals in water...

The idea of "Gay Marriage" is being thrown about a lot lately and I object to the the phrasing of it as a "marriage". Just to clarify, I fully support the idea of equal rights and the ideas behind the push for Gay Marriage, I think however that marriage is not the right term to be using. marriage has been used for the last 1000 years by the Church and has become a religious term to denote the union, under God, of a Man and Woman.
The term that SHOULD be used to denote the union between 2 people of the same sex is a "union" or a "partnership". This would solve a lot of issues with regard to the debate. Of course these "partnerships" must have the same legal rights as the existing marriage laws.
Yes, because Christianity is the only religion with marriage. Not to mention, not every denomination has the "only between a man and a woman" bullshit.

Really, I've heard that argument so many times. If you're gonna go with the whole civil union thing, it should be for BOTH same-sex and opposite-sex couples. Marriage should be just that, only to do with religion. And being christian myself (albeit a lot different ideals than most denominations), I take a large amount of offense to the idea that I shouldn't be able to get actually -married- because of some butthurt traditionalists.

If you're going to make one not be "marriage", then make it for both. Make everyone have civil unions that is the actual LAW side, and have marriage be religion only, nothing to do with laws at all.

Yes, because Christianity is the only religion with marriage.

Really, I've heard that argument so many times. If you're gonna go with the whole civil union thing, it should be for BOTH same-sex and opposite-sex couples. Marriage should be just that, only to do with religion. And being christian myself (albeit a lot different ideals than most denominations), I take a large amount of offense to the idea that I shouldn't be able to get actually -married- because of some butthurt traditionalists.

The problem is that they are the vocal minority and they wield a lot of influence. I only suggested what I did because there has to be some compromise.

If you're going to make one not be "marriage", then make it for both. Make everyone have civil unions that is the actual LAW side, and have marriage be religion only, nothing to do with laws at all.

This is a much better idea now that I think about it. Thank you for suggesting this and I apologise to you for causing any offense (I feel bad when I cause offense, especially to someone else who can associate to the LGBT community)

I think the argument about the definition of marriage is disingenuous. Marriage is a generic term in the English language that applies to unions irrespective of culture, creed or religion. We recognise the concept of polygamous marriage and some religious orders permit this so even the argument that marriage is between only two people is open to debate. Even the verb 'to marry' can refer to combining inanimate objects e.g. "he married jazz and pop to create a smooth but upbeat sound".

Marriage exists in law separately to religious ceremony and many people, religious and not, get married in a civil setting without the presence of religion. The religious argument against same sex marriage doesn't even apply universally. Not all religions are opposed to same sex marriage and even within the Christian faiths there are those willing to perform blessing ceremonies within a church to recognise a same sex union before God regardless of legal status.

The argument that marriage and civil union are equivalent in all but name disguises the fact that discrimination is taking place. Equivalent they may be, but equal they are not, else there would be no need for separate legislation and a different name.

Having legal distinction between marriage for heterosexuals and civil union for homosexuals is vaguely reminiscent of racial segregation. At the very least it's a legal distinction straight people are fundamentally different to each other. In practice it's likely to reinforce beliefs that one group is inferior to the other.

If marriage is marriage whether you call it marriage or civil union, then you may as well just choose one or the other and have it apply to all people equally.

This was typed on my phone with limited screen space so please excuse any errors or incoherency.

I think the argument about the definition of marriage is disingenuous. Marriage is a generic term in the English language that applies to unions irrespective of culture, creed or religion. We recognise the concept of polygamous marriage and some religious orders permit this so even the argument that marriage is between only two people is open to debate. Even the verb 'to marry' can refer to combining inanimate objects e.g. "he married jazz and pop to create a smooth but upbeat sound".

Marriage exists in law separately to religious ceremony and many people, religious and not, get married in a civil setting without the presence of religion. The religious argument against same sex marriage doesn't even apply universally. Not all religions are opposed to same sex marriage and even within the Christian faiths there are those willing to perform blessing ceremonies within a church to recognise a same sex union before God regardless of legal status.

The argument that marriage and civil union are equivalent in all but name disguises the fact that discrimination is taking place. Equivalent they may be, but equal they are not, else there would be no need for separate legislation and a different name.

Having legal distinction between marriage for heterosexuals and civil union for homosexuals is vaguely reminiscent of racial segregation. At the very least it's a legal distinction straight people are fundamentally different to each other. In practice it's likely to reinforce beliefs that one group is inferior to the other.

If marriage is marriage whether you call it marriage or civil union, then you may as well just choose one or the other and have it apply to all people equally.

This was typed on my phone with limited screen space so please excuse any errors or incoherency.
You did that with a phone?
That's pretty fabulous.

But yes, I agree with you completely.

How can people hate gays? That's like people hating people with brown hair. It just doesn't make sense. I'm really glad Obama finally said something...

This is mostly for America, even though it could change other countries thinking, but holy crap. Legalize gay marriage and provide full rights, as well as add gays to the upstanding remnants of affirmative action -_-

At this point, I could care less about any other frickin' problem in our country. Fuck the economy. Until the can uphold the so-called belief of "All men (and women) are created equal", there's no point to this country. If you can't legalize it, I'm moving to Canada.

(Sorry, this was my rage page :3)

Found this on my FB newsfeed just now,

303401_10151715620075094_848905093_23986915_1794026054_n.jpg

Thought it be relevant.
The "I am not here" sign held up by the stand just got to me...

The "I am not here" sign held up by the stand just got to me...

Me to.

At this point, I could care less about any other frickin' problem in our country. Fuck the economy. Until the can uphold the so-called belief of "All men (and women) are created equal", there's no point to this country. If you can't legalize it, I'm moving to Canada.

Off topic but... MOVE TO CANADA! :)
Then we can hang out and I'll show you why Canada is amazing. :p
Also as far as I know same sex marriage is legal here across the country.

Me to.

Off topic but... MOVE TO CANADA! :)
Then we can hang out and I'll show you why Canada is amazing. :p
Also as far as I know same sex marriage is legal here across the country.
Yep I think it is legal across the country! :D
I'd just like to say that I support Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals etc. I grew up with some in my family, so it's 'natural' for me that people of the same sex love each other. What I hate though is when they hold hands and kiss in public and some people give them death stares. They're normal people, so why do they do it? <3

I am so incredbily tired of this issue. Two conscience people decide to get married, and I see no reason why they can't, it is their private life and I have nothing to do with their private life. Their private life does not affect my life in any significant way. I used to think that social progression would sort of be like moore's law for chips, where maybe it's a bit slow at first but then as humanity acquires more experience the floodgates are opened to a better society. I have been proven wrong for about 10 years now. We are still stuck on this simple issue? But we haven't even touched climate change, population growth, education, etc. Human beings need to get laid and stop being butt frustrated with other peoples lives.

PDA in general is not exactly attractive, but people don't need to act like a demonic dick bag when gays or lesbians do it. Like fuck off and keep your eyes to yourself, k thanks.

PDA in general is not exactly attractive, but people don't need to act like a demonic dick bag when gays or lesbians do it. Like fuck off and keep your eyes to yourself, k thanks.

It's even worse when you are out with a group and 2 people just start making out and then after about 5 minutes go to the bathroom to finish making out (so that they can have some privacy)

I wonder how many homophobes are actually like that because they're suppressing their own sexualities and believe that condemning homosexuality is the best way to avoid suspicion?

I'm certain there have been a number of anti-gay activists, lawmakers and politicians who have been discovered by the media to have been visiting male prostitutes behind the backs of their wives and kids whilst publicly condemning homosexuality.

Or, as Shakespeare put it, "The Lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Sadly, here's the straight up facts. As long as politicians can get votes, they'll never fully make same sex marriage okay everywhere. This is why, even though we're "a nation of the people, for the people", we have controversy about this. Every time I hear about a place legalizing same sex marriage, my faith in humanity is slightly restored. It means someone stopped thinking of themselves and started thinking of the people who wanted to be happy, and have the papers to prove it.

This is a very sensitive subject for me, and it's taking everything I've got to not post a page long rant. I was raised in a very judgmental family. My dad acted as if being gay was a disease whenever it was brought up to him, and the rest of his side of the family was no different, until my cousin realized he was homosexual. That was the eye opener for me. Surrounded by ignorance, but still he stood up for what he felt was right and what made him happy. Now, everyone has wised up and are more accepting, but still.

Now that my life's story is over.... >_<

tl;dr: I believe everyone should be happy, no matter who they are, and people who try to stop them are assholes.

Hating on homosexuality with the argument 'If everybody would be gay, the world would end' (which I hear pretty often) is as stupid as fuck. If the whole world would be green, we couln't see anything anymore and we'd die. Do we hate green? No. So why should we hate homosexuality?

Back