The LGBT Thread

Hating on homosexuality with the argument 'If everybody would be gay, the world would end' (which I hear pretty often) is as stupid as fuck. If the whole world would be green, we couln't see anything anymore and we'd die. Do we hate green? No. So why should we hate homosexuality?

I don't even know how to reply to this post that I don't understand. Did you really just compare homosexuality to the colour green? =/

This is essentially my understanding of this thread. You either hate homosexuals with a burning passion or you are simply trying to cover up your own gay desires. This is no different than any other disagreement, so why can't it be approached with the same tact as any other argument? Sometimes it takes a devils advocate to truly understand the reasoning others have for their conclusions.

Outright discrimination usually comes from outright bad people. I'm sure the majority of people who oppose this idea will not go harm someone else for believing in this idea. Will they think differently of you for this? Yes. But take a moment and think. When someone has a difference in opinion as you, does this not change how you think of them? Everyone is critical and judgmental of everyone and everything. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Unfortunately the bad outshines the good in almost every case. This thread is a good example of that.

What do you mean by that? I'm confused...

I was speaking towards the negative and questioning posts in the thread as far as the "the bad outshines the good" is concerned. Not the creation of the thread itself. I apologize for the confusion.

Hating on homosexuality with the argument 'If everybody would be gay, the world would end' (which I hear pretty often) is as stupid as fuck. If the whole world would be green, we couln't see anything anymore and we'd die. Do we hate green? No. So why should we hate homosexuality?

I agree, and this is by far the easiest argument to pick apart. If everyone in the world were gay then yes, we'd have issues with population growth (although the same people who say this are usually also saying that gay people shouldn't be allowed to have kids through surrogacy or adoption - make of that what you will).

The fact of the matter is that we live in a world that's already vastly overpopulated and with population growth that shows no signs of slowing down. The world population has passed the 5 billion, 6 billion and 7 billion milestones in my short lifetime and it's likely that everyone here will see world population pass 8 billion and 9 billion in their lifetimes.

Millions of children around the world live in absolute poverty because resources are so scarce and families cannot afford to support them. Even in Western countries such as the USA and the UK, countless children are shoved into care facilities or foster homes because no-one really wants them.

So surely promoting homosexual relationships would have a positive effect on society by reducing population growth and therefore reducing the demand on increasingly limited natural resources? Surely same sex couples in long term relationships would be eager to foster or adopt otherwise unwanted children, seeing as it is harder for them to procreate naturally?

In short, the argument that homosexual relationships would slow population growth is probably the best argument in favour of promoting homosexuality.

I agree, and this is by far the easiest argument to pick apart. If everyone in the world were gay then yes, we'd have issues with population growth (although the same people who say this are usually also saying that gay people shouldn't be allowed to have kids through surrogacy or adoption - make of that what you will).

The fact of the matter is that we live in a world that's already vastly overpopulated and with population growth that shows no signs of slowing down. The world population has passed the 5 billion, 6 billion and 7 billion milestones in my short lifetime and it's likely that everyone here will see world population pass 8 billion and 9 billion in their lifetimes.

Millions of children around the world live in absolute poverty because resources are so scarce and families cannot afford to support them. Even in Western countries such as the USA and the UK, countless children are shoved into care facilities or foster homes because no-one really wants them.

So surely promoting homosexual relationships would have a positive effect on society by reducing population growth and therefore reducing the demand on increasingly limited natural resources? Surely same sex couples in long term relationships would be eager to foster or adopt otherwise unwanted children, seeing as it is harder for them to procreate naturally?

In short, the argument that homosexual relationships would slow population growth is probably the best argument in favour of promoting homosexuality.

All of my yes.

devil's advocate mode activate
http://tech.mit.edu/V131/N29/normandin_cp.html
I'll write a response to this later, but I already don't like the "government does not view enhanced happiness as a compelling enough interest to encourage marriage of any kind" argument.

http://www.balancedpolitics.org/same_sex_marriages.htm
I don't know the background of the site or the author so I not aware of any specific political or moral bias.

There is a ton more if you google it but just remember what you search greatly affects what you get, like if you google a question but your question sort of already has the answer in it.
Why gay marriage should be legal
Why gay marriage should not be legal
Why gay marriage should be illegal
Why gay marriage should not be illegal

I've heard persons who are LGBT referred to as "Demon Possessed", "Mentally challenged", "Hormonally inbalanced", or just plain "Retarded". I hate that. And the sad thing is, people who are in my Religion say that. :I

Essentially, to avoid a TL;DR, my thoughts on LGBT is this:

"You're (Gay/Bi/Lesbian/Transgender)? Cool. I'm straight. I don't judge you, because I'd rather be friends with you than have something silly like a personal decision on sexual orientation come between us being friends. Even though my religion is against you, I am not. You deserve your rights, and I'll actually help you fight for them, even though I won't be (Gay/Bi/Lesbian/Transgender)."

I also hate most religion's views on LGBT, especially Christianity.

Because, let's be honest here, to just make all of the religious nuts shut up,

That's what Jesus would do.

:D

I've heard persons who are LGBT referred to as "Demon Possessed", "Mentally challenged", "Hormonally inbalanced", or just plain "Retarded". I hate that. And the sad thing is, people who are in my Religion say that. :I

Essentially, to avoid a TL;DR, my thoughts on LGBT is this:

"You're (Gay/Bi/Lesbian/Transgender)? Cool. I'm straight. I don't judge you, because I'd rather be friends with you than have something silly like a personal decision on sexual orientation come between us being friends. Even though my religion is against you, I am not. You deserve your rights, and I'll actually help you fight for them, even though I won't be (Gay/Bi/Lesbian/Transgender)."

I also hate most religion's views on LGBT, especially Christianity.

Because, let's be honest here, to just make all of the religious nuts shut up,

That's what Jesus would do.

:D

There is truth to this. It's not Christianity that hates homosexuals. It's people who don't understand what they believe in. Yes, you believe it to be a sin. But it is the exact OPPOSITE for you to insult them or harm them for this belief. It's not the Christianity that is wrong. It's the people. You are to pray for them and help show them what you believe. If they still reject this idea, then that is their choice. It's your choice to believe what you want. But don't force it on someone else. This works both ways as well.

Isn't it LGBTQIA instead of just LGBT now?
QUILTBAG seems to be the newer, easier to pronounce all inclusive term.
But LGBT/GLBT is shorter to write and used often as well.
(QUILTBAG = Queer/Questioning, Undecided, Intersex, Lesbian, Transgender/Transsexual, Bisexual, Allied/Asexual, Gay/Genderqueer)

Back