What Graphics card(s) do you use?

Actually 670 and 770s are the same price and the performance of the 770 is like an overclocked 680

So you do get better value for the 770
Why would I pay 600$ for a #70, when 600$ used to be a higher end #80? That's why a 600 series is worth more per $ than a 700 series card.

Why would I pay 600$ for a #70, when 600$ used to be a higher end #80? That's why a 600 series is worth more per $ than a 700 series card.

Its $400 for a GTX 770

and if you get better performance for a cheaper price how can you consider a 680 or 670 better then a 770?

Its $400 for a GTX 770

and if you get better performance for a cheaper price how can you consider a 680 or 670 better then a 770?
400$ is low end 770. 400$ is high end 670. So for 400$ I'm getting a 4gb 670, where for 400$ also, I'd be getting a 2gb 770. So actually I'd be getting better performance with the older card.

We are on the same page now

The extra RAM comes in handy for some games like skyrim, but in games that 4GB RAM isnt necessary the 770 will still perform better.

Its all about what you want to do with it.

400$ is low end 770. 400$ is high end 670. So for 400$ I'm getting a 4gb 670, where for 400$ also, I'd be getting a 2gb 770. So actually I'd be getting better performance with the older card.
Typically 4GB VRAM isn't going to afford you an actual performance "increase" as much as it is going to simply allow you to play at higher max settings - say Skyrim at 2560x1440/1600 with 8X MSAA (who even does this?) and an asston of mods or multi-monitor games. It could also be a plus if you happen to be running 4k. Even then, I think a lot of folks tend to go with cheaper monitors where I seriously doubt you're really going to be able to discern the difference in on-screen quality with higher MSAA without pausing and taking a screenshot to compare "jaggies".

I'd much rather take a 770 (actually, I will be, as I plan on upgrading to one in another month or so). At stock speeds, it goes toe-to-toe with a 680 typically at lower temperatures, granted that's just due to the nature of the improved cooler design. Plus you get the bump to 7GHz clocked memory which gives you 224GB/s of bandwidth vs 192GB/s on the 680.

Don't get me wrong, a faster GPU isn't going to do anything for you if you hit a VRAM wall, but I tend to think it's a bit of a niche market where it's actually needed/req

Guys, keep in mind that the difference isn't just straight power improvement...You are also paying for more reliability under stress, increased refresh rates, a faster clock most of the time, faster bandwidth, lower temperatures...so on. The actual amount of VRAM does play a factor into this, and is a good place to start looking but a good thing to remember is that, barring some known issue, a newer model(ie 770 > 680) is going to just be better put together than the older versions. Also, usually, when they jump from say the 600 series to the 700 series they change something large, like reconfigure the boards or replace some pinnacle component for better optimization. Careful with the thought process that 680 == 770 cause they are NOT the same thing, they just are similar in the basics.

Back