Xbox One

For now, I think we all have to maintain an open mind and not simply cast it out after the first unveiling. There is much still to be determined.
I do believe that the saying goes something like
"The first impression always makes the largest impact on how people see you."
I know that isn't the actual way to say it, but in this case I believe that will be true. Really crappy reveal that only displayed stuff that most gamers will never even use... yeah, not looking too great.

The console looks ugly. I don't like the multi-textured, half-glossy, half-flat black/gray look. It seems unfinished and half-assed. I like the way the controller looks, although I think the should/trigger buttons might be too high up to be comfortable to grip. I won't know for sure about that until I can hold the controller myself.

Overall, I wasn't surprised by anything that was revealed. MS has been trying to push the 360 as a multi-use home entertainment device for the past several years, and so it makes sense they keep with that idea and put everything into one package and upgrade it a little. That's where I felt the presentation fell short. Everything they mentioned seems like small steps in innovation, rather than any huge leap. MS is slowly forgetting about the PC and incorporating it into a end-all, be-all unit that will also play movies, games, TV and shop for you on your TV in your living room simply by wiggling your arms and legs about. It'll be nice to have games on BluRay discs now, maybe we'll get more game for our $60, instead of a solid 8hr game on the hardest difficulty followed by buggy multiplayer games where 15yr olds are screaming obscenities at you.

And there it is.

Not always online but it does require a internet connection. http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

And if this is true, conflicting reports about this, take with grain of salt and a pinch of bullshit cause the way Microsoft is handling this PR wise is just a clusterfuck but if you want to take your game over to your friends house to play it you need to pay the price of the game to play it.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

"But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said. "

You can however play the game on another person console if you are logged in to your account.

Also before someone pulls the "Pc works the same way" card, thats basically downgrading the argument saying that the accessibility to sharing games with your friends is being more and more limited. Also at least pc games/steam have sales every 2-3 months.

This bothers me in a lot of ways. The two biggest are the music and movie industries. I can buy a CD or DVD/BluRay of a film and take it anywhere with me and watch/listen to it anyplace and I don't have to pay extra fees to play it at my friend's house or anything like that. I understand that the video game companies are trying to make the most profit possible, but the fact that they are restricting my ability to do whatever I want with MY copy of the game is disconcerting.
"But what about PC games and Steam?"
Well, the convenient thing about Steam is that I can log in to my Steam account on almost any PC, and if I feel like waiting forever and a day, I can download and play a game(s) from my library without issue. I don't have to pay for storage of the game anywhere, since I own a copy of the game and once it's downloaded, I can play it anytime.

This where I worry about what MS is doing. They already charge users for cloud storage over 5GB. Last I checked, Halo4 required about 6GB of storage, and my old 1st gen 360 doesn't have the space for the game. I had to cobble together a storage set up where I've got Halo4 saved on my console, some of my XBLA stuff in the 5GB cloud and all of my other saved game data onto an external harddrive, which is now formatted to work with the 360 and I can't use it for anything else. MS has already said they're planning on putting some of the processing power into the cloud, and that they've got several hundred thousand servers lined up to handle all of the content users will save and access. They did not indicate whether there would be a fee for a "premium" account or anything like that, but I bet there will be. How much cloud storage space will each user be given for free, and how many games will that hold? Probably not as many as you would like. So, I would have to pay $60 (maybe even $70, hooray next-gen!) for a new game, then download data onto the console when I first boot up the game, if I buy any DLC (rage) that's gets saved onto the console. If I want to access the DLC at a friend's house, I would need to be sure to save all of this info into my cloud storage, and then log into my account on my friend's console. What if the game data is larger than my cloud space? The whole thing seems like a giant mess and complicated and I just don't want to deal with it.

I can't offer too much of my opinion on most of the Xbox One's problems, as the things they are "improving" on, like the kinect and cloud storage, I have had very little experience in.
However from what I have observed, it seems that Microsoft really should have seen this coming.
From recent trends, it is obvious that no one likes the "always connected" approach, whether its online or external gadgets.
Also the fact that the authorization of using a game on another Xbox has been stated to almost be the price of a new game is increadable foolish. This completely removes the incentive to buy preowned games, and if you want to play one someone elses, they are better off buying the game themselves, which decreases the social value.
Also all of the social equipment added to the console I can see how some people would like it, but I use my console for games, and social things are just distracting during gameplay. And TV through a console which is already connected to a TV just seems like a stupid idea to me.
Overall I think that Microsoft have done very little public research and ignored most trends for reason that I can't possibly see, and that if that the entire console is moving away from actual games, and turning into a social device which, as a social shut in, has no place in my home.

What if the game data is larger than my cloud space? The whole thing seems like a giant mess and complicated and I just don't want to deal with it.

This doesn't make sense. Games do not need to be stored separately per user, and it wouldn't make sense to charge for them that way.

here is the abrided version for those interested (same people who did the ps4 abrided version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxdMQhDMIU

but yea I think i'm in the pc gamer boat at this point, I really do need more information, but currently the information provided is making me not interested in buying this console

actually edit:
let me clarify something, for years now I have become disinterested in console gaming, my last console (wii) left a sour taste in my mouth that I don't think will ever go away. As someone who is getting ready to enter the real world with a real job etc etc I probably won't have as much time to sit down and play video games and if I do it would probably be a PC game. Pc gaming/ steam is so wonderful and quite frankly I can make a better investment into a computer than a PSXboxU. this reveal didn't really say wow I want this console, I mean some of the ideas are cool but I don't fucking care about your damn sports. In my eyes right now sony had a much better reveal and if I had to choose a console it would probably be a ps4 at this point. Even then I can find a better investment in a computer verses a console at this point in time.

Now try changing your perspective and seeing the situation from Microsoft's shoes. Microsoft is a business and the number one goal of all businesses is profit maximization. Every time a friend borrows one of your games instead of buying it for him/herself, Microsoft loses money. Some people consider this stealing. In my opinion, it is in reality no different from torrenting movies, tv shows or computer games. Do you have a double standard, or do you openly support the pirating/torrenting of computer games and other media?

Now we have seen both extremes, but there is a grey area in the middle. For instance, what if you just want to bring your game to a friend's house to play a co-op game with him/her for a bit? The problem is not black and white. There are may grey areas. At the end of the day, these are all things that Microsoft has to juggle and try to find the perfect balance to make their users/target consumers happy while at the same time making as much money as possible. At the end of the day, businesses have to make judgement calls and the consumer sometimes gets the short end of the stick. According to a press release from Microsoft, nothing about the games is set in stone just yet. We will have to wait and see how it all plays out.

For now, I think we all have to maintain an open mind and not simply cast it out after the first unveiling. There is much still to be determined.
I think gamers should really stop looking at things from the big companies perspective, cause exactly that is why this shit is happening, after all we (the gamers) are the target audience and if we are unhappy with this bullshit, we should speak out not try to find the reasoning behind it :/ just my 2 cents

Wow. A lot of things are happening this year in areas I haven't been excited in for a long time that I'm suddenly very interested in. Pokemon X & Y, Minecraft is kicking up again, all sorts of fantastic Steam-release games are coming out, and now the XBox One. I can honestly say that I'm quite excited about this, especially since I have no problems personally with either the used-game restrictions or the always-online requirement of cloud processing (I don't buy used games, and my internet is quite speedy). The new hardware (while not at the level of PCs) is quite an upgrade from the level of the 360, and the complete overhaul of Kinect is something I look forward to trying out for myself. Also the design reminds me of the NES. Just saying.

I thought I was the only one. Thanks buddy. Nothing but bashing for this box so far.

I feel like you and I are going to be the only people pre-ordering this thing.

So I read some more posts here....

This is a console. This isn't a PC. Stop trying to get the two on a level playing field. It isn't going to happen (not for awhile). Since Microsoft has started development of this console, we have seen nearly two GPU generation releases. This isn't going to have bleeding edge hardware. It's just impossible. It's a console, it's primary directive is to play console games, and is optimized to do just that.

It was revealed yesterday. It still has three seasons before it's released (I'm assuming by XMas). That's PLENTY of time to tweak the design, layout, software, and any last minute hardware tweaks. While I agree that first impression leaves the most lasting, it was simply a reveal. More like a teaser reveal. Here's the xbox, here's some of what it can do, now wait until E3. PS4 did the same thing. At least we know what the Xbox looks like.

The online requirement? I'm fine with that. When masses stop pirating, then the DRM will stop. It doesn't require constant connection, and won't shut down when you're crap internet goes down.

Charging a fee when you buy a used game? That's kind of shitty, but I approve if these two conditions are met: The fee is minimal (say $5), and Microsoft passes a portion of the fees to the developers. The used game market is all profit for the stores. They pay out very little and then turn around and sell it for 200% in most cases. Now, say borrowing a game from a friend, perhaps MS can make it so that if someone on your friends list plays a game attached to your account, it will let them play it. Since you want to compare PC to console, Steam does NOT allow you to do this at all. Perhaps Xbox can allow guest passes to be handed out. :3 Now this move hurts lower class families who might have saved up enough to get a console, but can't afford new releases. Or the collector gamer who wants to go down Nostalgia Lane and find some old goodies later in the consoles life. I'm sure they will find some sort of balance, or reasonable price.

Backwards compatibility? Why is this all of a sudden some sort of requirement for consoles? N64 wasn't backwards compatible with SNES. Gamecube didn't play N64 games. Sony got you all spoiled with that illusion of grandeur, and it didn't work for them, or anyone who tried backwards compatibility. It's merely a novelty that we play with for a few days, weeks, maybe months, and then never touch again. If you have the last console, use that. Even cheap shit TVs come with multiple inputs. Hell, the Xbox one has HDMI in. Plug your XBox 360 into the XBox One and you can have a harmonious Xbox centipede.

The Kinect is a vast improvement over the last. It can see up to 7 people I last read. Has much more skeletal recognition, such as fingers, and can even see when your eyes are closed (Kinect Staring Contest Game anyone?). It can see you in near dark, has a wider angle, and better dept location. So I feel any arguments here are invalid.

It's an improvement, simply put. Stronger and faster than Xbox 360. What else was it supposed to do?

Lastly, the argument about investing into a gaming computer.... if you don't have one, sure. If you already have one, what are you going to invest in? Another one? Seems ironic, does it not?

You could perhaps... SAVE the money?
This is certainly a viable option. Not one I'll be taking, but for some, it might be the only option.

Now, riddle me this: what about those parents who want to inform themselves on the best option in the area of expensive electronics for Christmas gifts for their slightly spoiled child? Or in my case: the best option for a gift for my youngest brother? We're already building a PC together for him to use, I just got him a nice TV for his birthday, this December I want to get him something from the next generation of consoles. For myself, I'll be getting both the PS4 and the XB1, but I don't want to get him both - my parents would get seriously mad at me for outstripping their gifts.

I'm not a parent, I have no reason to concern myself with putting money aside for his education and expecting him to be happy that that's what his Christmas present is, or getting him socks (though I do recall getting my other brother underwear for Christmas...I got him a set of banana hammocks as a joke. His girlfriend thanked me. It was awkward). I make a decent coin, so I also have no reason to skimp on presents for my family. And my little brother is very much into gaming (I don't encourage him to come here because right now he's at his "extremely annoying 14-year-old" stage), so a console seems the logical next step. And I'll be honest, I just like the way the XB1 looks. It's aesthetically pleasing to my eye.

The camera and mic needs to be on at all times for the Xbox one to work.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407929/always-online-requirement-is-optional-for-xbox-one-devs/

All information from it can be disclosed and captured by Microsoft. (Blog but still covers it)

http://bigdah.gamerkage.com/new-xbo...-is-microsoft-using-kinect-to-spy-on-you.html

Good fight privacy

Microsoft collects information on how you use Kinect to interact with the XBox, such as.. do you use voice commands a lot, do you use it to navigate, etc, etc.

Microsoft isn't sitting there listening to your conversations. It means they'll look if suspected of illegal activity, or if you are doing things that are against the Terms of Use. Just the same way I'm sure Woot can see every single post, conversation, PM, and local chat both here and in all of our games hosted here.

Just the same way the government can tap your phone.

Microsoft isn't going to be watching you fap, they just want to know how you use your XBox to help improve the experience.

You want privacy? Turn off the internet, the phone, close your blinds, and go into the darkest room with no windows. There you go. However, the walls have ears so don't say a word.

The camera and mic needs to be on at all times for the Xbox one to work.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407929/always-online-requirement-is-optional-for-xbox-one-devs/

All information from it can be disclosed and captured by Microsoft. (Blog but still covers it)

http://bigdah.gamerkage.com/new-xbo...-is-microsoft-using-kinect-to-spy-on-you.html

Good fight privacy
Meh. I have nothing to hide - and if I did, I wouldn't be playing with game consoles to begin with, since activity can be recorded on any system with an internet connection - Wii, PS3, XB360, Vita, DS....

(I had a video here, but it's gone! *poof*. Hurrah for redundancy!)
Well, here's my two cents: I think that the PS4 will be better than the Xbox One. Microsoft basically took a step back in design. Xbox 360 S had a super-slim design. The Xbox One? It looks like a high-tech VCR. I also think that Microsoft focused too much on social media and television rather than games. The only thing I think is okay is the improved Kinect sensor. But, as always, PC hardware is getting better and better, and a good gaming rig can be as cheap as $500. Just my thoughts.

I suggest reading up on independent video game development.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_video_game_development

In particular, read the last section about licensing fees. All that Microsoft is doing is making mandatory middle men, which in this case are video game publishing companies. The effect that this will have on indie game development is not known. It could increase it or decrease it to be honest. Do not automatically assume that what you read is negative just because of all the clueless internet trolls who say it is the biggest disaster ever, because truthfully, they probably don't know jack shit about the subject. In my opinion, this could streamline the process for indie game developers. Nothing can be said for certain about the prices and whether it will be more difficult for indie games to be produced, but Microsoft is likely just trying to streamline processes and make them less fragmented.

Back