General Anime Discussion Thread

FUCK YOU SO HARD RIGHT NOW TOONAMI!

Don't you dare make me wait another week to see episode 9 of Hellsing Ultimate! Escipally just to show the Inyuasha movie! FUCK OFF!

You can't just dangle all the hype/scary/shocking/sad shit that happened in episode 8 and say "Guess you'll have to wait another week!" My hype levels right now can't handle it!

(I wasn't bullshitting you with my status and profile pic about how much I'm loving this show right now :D )

Off topic: What's Spice and Wolf about? You guys seem to be hyping it up a bunch and now I'm very curious.

FUCK YOU SO HARD RIGHT NOW TOONAMI!

Don't you dare make me wait another week to see episode 9 of Hellsing Ultimate! Escipally just to show the Inyuasha movie! FUCK OFF!

You can't just dangle all the hype/scary/shocking/sad shit that happened in episode 8 and say "Guess you'll have to wait another week!" My hype levels right now can't handle it!

(I wasn't bullshitting you with my status and profile pic about how much I'm loving this show right now :D )

Off topic: What's Spice and Wolf about? You guys seem to be hyping it up a bunch and now I'm very curious.

Snarky word-play between a wolf goddess and a merchant, ye-olde economics, unresolved and belligerent sexual tension that the main cast are all too aware of, and an out-fucking-standing English Dub cast. In short, brilliance.

Snarky word-play between a wolf goddess and a merchant, ye-olde economics, unresolved and belligerent sexual tension that the main cast are all too aware of, and an out-fucking-standing English Dub cast. In short, brilliance.
Also the wolf chick has her tits out ever 5 mins because the show wants to trick you into thinking it is Ecchi.

Also the wolf chick has her tits out ever 5 mins because the show wants to trick you into thinking it is Ecchi.

Holo is like nude twice onscreen, and it's not like the show is trying to trick viewer's into thinking it's an ecchi. Rather the nudity is not sexual in nature, similar to the nudity in older anime such as Ghost in The Shell; it is only in recent years that people have started to correlate nudity and sex as intricate to eachother.

Holo is like nude twice onscreen, and it's not like the show is trying to trick viewer's into thinking it's an ecchi. Rather the nudity is not sexual in nature, similar to the nudity in older anime such as Ghost in The Shell; it is only in recent years that people have started to correlate nudity and sex as intricate to eachother.
Allow me to rephrase: The series is attempting to trick the mindset of the watcher into believing what they are seeing is nonintellectual fap material. Ghost in the Shell was responsible for this as well and series such as Evangelion and Madoka Magica have been responsible for attempting to trick the watcher into watching something completely outside the comfort zone of the general audience. I love all those series and I would never attempt to devalue their name by saying that they are lesser for using this form of manipulation. And from my memory of when I first heard of Spice and Wolf, it was advertising itself as ecchi. Madoka advertised itself infamously as a cute PreCure esq. magical girl anime.

Allow me to rephrase: The series is attempting to trick the mindset of the watcher into believing what they are seeing is nonintellectual fap material. Ghost in the Shell was responsible for this as well and series such as Evangelion and Madoka Magica have been responsible for attempting to trick the watcher into watching something completely outside the comfort zone of the general audience. I love all those series and I would never attempt to devalue their name by saying that they are lesser for using this form of manipulation. And from my memory of when I first heard of Spice and Wolf, it was advertising itself as ecchi. Madoka advertised itself infamously as a cute PreCure esq. magical girl anime.

I'd still argue that the series is not attempting to trick the mindset of the viewer into perceiving nudity as sexual in nature, but rather that the viewer already has a pre-conceived notion that nudity and sex are always intricately linked with the other. For example, the opening sequence of Ghost in the Shell in no way tries to depict the nudity of the major as sexual, however people of my age that I've showed the film too have perceived the scene as sexual in nature, while when showing the film to those that are either; older mentally than their physical age or adults themsleves have not immediately labelled the scene as sexual.

Madoka Magika though is definitely Grade A trolling though, especially considering people failed to realize it was from the UroButcher.

I'd still argue that the series is not attempting to trick the mindset of the viewer into perceiving nudity as sexual in nature, but rather that the viewer already has a pre-conceived notion that nudity and sex are always intricately linked with the other. For example, the opening sequence of Ghost in the Shell in no way tries to depict the nudity of the major as sexual, however people of my age that I've showed the film too have perceived the scene as sexual in nature, while when showing the film to those that are either; older mentally than their physical age or adults themsleves have not immediately labelled the scene as sexual.

Madoka Magika though is definitely Grade A trolling though, especially considering people failed to realize it was from the UroButcher.
I think it isn't on the same level of trolling as Madoka but I think the attempt is there. I think what may have happened is that the series advertised itself as an overly sexual furry fest when in reality it wasn't connected at all to such a thing. Madoka was being the reverse of what it advertised as was Evangelion. For works like Ghost in the Shell and Spice and Wolf the sexual nature ends at the advertisement. Spice and Wolf was about economics and Ghost in the Shell was about the definition of humanity, both messages are completely unconnected from: oversexualization for exploitation is degrading and annoying or that society viewing nudity as inherently sexual is moronic. Imagine being told you had purchased a computer but instead attained a shoe.

I think it isn't on the same level of trolling as Madoka but I think the attempt is there. I think what may have happened is that the series advertised itself as an overly sexual furry fest when in reality it wasn't connected at all to such a thing. Madoka was being the reverse of what it advertised as was Evangelion. For works like Ghost in the Shell and Spice and Wolf the sexual nature ends at the advertisement. Spice and Wolf was about economics and Ghost in the Shell was about the definition of humanity, both messages are completely unconnected from: oversexualization for exploitation is degrading and annoying or that society viewing nudity as inherently sexual is moronic. Imagine being told you had purchased a computer but instead attained a shoe.

I don't think that either Ghost in the Shell or Spice and Wolf were advertised in a manner that depicted either series as sexual in nature, rather the viewer assumed they were, in the case of spice and wolf, "an overly sexual furry fest" because society has progressed to a stage where society so intractely links nudity and sex. You're right, the perceived sexual nature of the series generally ends at the advertisement, but that still doesn't change the fact that people have perceived the series as sexual due to either; nudity potentially existing within advertisements being perceived as sexual; the pre-conceived notion that nudity and sexual is inheritly linked (Geez, I sound like a broken track record, don't I?)

As I previously stated, a social experiment I carried out showed that members of my generation perceived the nudity in Ghost in the Shell as seuxal while members of older generations perceived the nudity as Non-Sexual. While I may be heavily generalizing here, it goes towards saying that society viewing nudity as inherently sexual is not moronic, rather it's an example of how society and it's views on nudity and sex have progressed and changed over the years into how we percieve the various facets of sexuality today.

I don't think that either Ghost in the Shell or Spice and Wolf were advertised in a manner that depicted either series as sexual in nature, rather the viewer assumed they were, in the case of spice and wolf, "an overly sexual furry fest" because society has progressed to a stage where society so intractely links nudity and sex. You're right, the perceived sexual nature of the series generally ends at the advertisement, but that still doesn't change the fact that people have perceived the series as sexual due to either; nudity potentially existing within advertisements being perceived as sexual; the pre-conceived notion that nudity and sexual is inheritly linked (Geez, I sound like a broken track record, don't I?)

As I previously stated, a social experiment I carried out showed that members of my generation perceived the nudity in Ghost in the Shell as seuxal while members of older generations perceived the nudity as Non-Sexual. While I may be heavily generalizing here, it goes towards saying that society viewing nudity as inherently sexual is not moronic, rather it's an example of how society and it's views on nudity and sex have progressed and changed over the years into how we percieve the various facets of sexuality today.
I understand this point but, it should be noted that anime in the west in marketed at the younger generation who, according to your study, view nudity as sexual in nature. If Spice and Wolf was aimed at say a middle aged demographic what your saying would be correct, but Spice and Wolf isn't. "Sex sells" as the old saying goes and they sold a wonderful series off of sex when in reality it had little to do with sex at all. Nudity isn't sexual to some people but, not the target audience of Spice and Wolf/ Anime in the west. For a better idea of what I mean see this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx1EW7uolpU . It is talking about Ghost in the Shell in general however the reviewer mentions his personal discovery of the film.
Anyways does anyone want to discuss the content of the anime instead of the advertisement in the west?

I understand this point but, it should be noted that anime in the west in marketed at the younger generation who, according to your study, view nudity as sexual in nature. If Spice and Wolf was aimed at say a middle aged demographic what your saying would be correct, but Spice and Wolf isn't. "Sex sells" as the old saying goes and they sold a wonderful series off of sex when in reality it had little to do with sex at all. Nudity isn't sexual to some people but, not the target audience of Spice and Wolf/ Anime in the west. For a better idea of what I mean see this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx1EW7uolpU . It is talking about Ghost in the Shell in general however the reviewer mentions his personal discovery of the film.
Anyways does anyone want to discuss the content of the anime instead of the advertisement in the west?

I'll give you that on Ghost in the Shell, I can see where you're coming from there. However I still disagree regarding about the target audience of Spice and Wolf, considering it's; Not aimed at a younger audience (especially so when you consider the subject matter and material of the Novel/Manga/Anime itself), Fan Outcry In The West of Yen Press's changing of the Volume 1 cover of the Light Novel from it's traditional Japanese Artwork to a nude image of Holo ultimately forced the publisher's hand into revoking it's changes, which say's something about how the target audience of Spice and Wolf perceive's nudity (though that's beside the point).

As you stated, I'd rather discuss the content of the anime rather than advertisement standards in the west. Speaking of Spice and Wolf, the ending of the second season was a tad annoying considering it ends on a giant cliff hanger that screams; Watch the Third Season that'll never come out or; Buy the Source Material. I'd rather it have ended akin to that of Season 1, in which it felt like a complete story rather than one incomplete.

I think it's also important to note that very rarely do the producers of anime think about the viewers in the West when making their series. That's why many anime contain references that westerners wouldn't understand.

Like I said, due to my steadily increasing proficiency in the Japanese language, I watch most of my anime raw nowadays, and sometimes am lost with the things they say, not due to the language barrier but more due to the cultural differences.

I'd also like to point out that sex and nudity are not nearly as taboo in Japan as we perceive them to be in more Westernized nations, (and from what I can tell, there's less teen pregnancy too, go figure), so I don't think the nudity in Spice and Wolf was sexual, but there certainly was sexual tension in that anime. That much can't really be disputed.

This is a mistake some people i know have made a mistake of. (People thinking they are trained to do sexual things to there customers.)
If its related or not you decide.

"Geisha were forbidden to sell sex but have mistakenly become a symbol of Japanese sexuality in the West because prostitutes in Japan marketed themselves as "geisha girls" to American military men."

"A frequent locus of misconceptions in regard to Japanese sexuality is the institution of the geisha. Rather than a prostitute, a geisha was a woman trained in arts such as music and cultured conversation, who was available for non-sexual interactions with her male clientele. Geisha differed from their patrons' wives because, except for the geisha, women were ordinarily not prepared for activity other than household duties. This social limitation was imposed on the majority of women in traditional society and produced a diminution in the pursuits that women could enjoy. This limitation also impacted the ways that a man could enjoy the company of his wife. The geisha fulfilled the non-sexual social roles that ordinary women were prevented from fulfilling, and for this service they were well paid. That being said, the geisha were not deprived of opportunities to express themselves sexually and in other erotic ways. A geisha might have a patron with whom she enjoyed sexual intimacy, but this sexual role was not part of her role or responsibility as a geisha."
From Wikipedia​

so, I've been watching Kill la Kill recently, and had an epiphany:

the Japanese title, キルラキル (Kiru Ra Kiru), can easily be romanized to say Kill la Kill, but in reality is an even funnier play on words, as "キル" can be "着る". Kiru is also the verb equivalent of "putting on (non-accessory clothing)".
*mindsplosion*

huehue. Bilingual brilliance.

and in case this was already addressed in a post I didn't read:
079___slowpoke_by_winter_freak-d279i01.png

Finished Durarara - I love how it all comes together in the last few episodes, similarly to Baccano! The entire story is actually really original and creative, too, which is always nice in a saturated market.

Annnnd. I'm immediately hooked on Spice and Wolf. Economics and silver coins? Econ was one of my favorite subjects ever, and I also collect silver bullion coins and silver U.S. currency. Weird reasons to like an anime, perhaps. Awesome voice acting so far, as well.

If you like Economy, if i remember correctly Maoyuu Maou Yuusha has some of that in it.
They talk alot about economical stuff through most of it.

Skryter, thank you for insisting that I watch Spice and Wolf - it's definitely going on my favorites list, I just wish it wasn't so short! I really want to read the novels and continue the story. Of course some fans tried to petition for a 3rd season, but let's be honest, that's really unlikely to happen.

Aaaannnd then there's Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I'm 4 episodes in and God this anime is weird. It's so... Japanese. Definitely the oddest pacing, weirdest animations, and most unrealistic characters I've seen yet. There's never a moment that isn't dramatic and some of the writing is hilarious (for instance "The pain is mostly gone, I can even lift this rock!" that literally made me laugh out loud) Just a totally different style of anime I guess; is this a show that's supposed to be so bad and outlandish that it's funny and entertaining?

Okay, I'm probably annoying you guys with the constant updates xD

Back