General Anime Discussion Thread

Attack on Titan is even worse about this.

Attack on Titan is a decent concept, (read: not very good), with no likeable characters (read: No characters, just zombies riding horses), brought to it's fame by good animation, and decent fights.

Manga is even worse because there is no good animation to bring it up, it's just watching the lifeless entities interact with bigger lifeless entities.

Heck, the titans had more personality than all of the main characters combined... The way they ran was so expressive...
67bcb24298680b9216ba6754562f900a-d64zoj0.gif
Mostly agree, except Jean Kirstein was one character that I was able to get behind. Strictly for the reason that he was the only character went through any kind of character development, like I said in my small rant a few posts above, if he dies I'm done with the series. The main characters though (Eren, Mikasa and Armen) can go fornicate themselves with an iron stick. One's a pissed off little shit who only cares about revenge and doesn't understand the discipline that comes with joining the military, the other's a Mary Sue who has never been in any real danger because of how perfect she is and the third makes me want to punch him in the face everytime I hear him open his annoying mouth (If he was the main character and badass one man army characters didn't exist in this universe, I might've been able to get behind him but that is not the case).

To be honest the only reason I'm still watching the show is because by the time I was sick of it, I was already 20 episodes in and I mine as well just finish it. When season 2 drops next year I can assure you I'm only going to watch for Jean Kirstein and NOTHING else.

A friend of mine has been practically begging me to watch the anime "Sword Art Online", as it's apprently one of his favorites. The reviews on it are pretty good, so I figured "Why not?".

I decided to compile my own pros/cons list.

HUGE SPOILERS FOR SWORD ART ONLINE YO.

Pros
- Good art/animation
- Most of the voice acting was pretty good in the English dub.

Cons
1. TONS of cliches
*The entire basis of the game being players trapped inside a game where they can die irl.
*Sheer will/love can overcome something impossible. (This isn't always a bad thing, Gurren Lagaan did this perfectly)
*Didn't record any others, I just know there were quite a few cringe moments.
2. Most characters are incredibly one sided with little to no depth.
3. Plenty of bad writing, awkward and repetitive wording / cringeworthy lines.
4. Kirito beating Radcliffe was lame, I feel the story would've been VASTLY superior if the characters stayed in SAO until they beat level 100.
* After the danger of everyone actually dying went away, it just wasn't as suspenseful.
5. The story didn't have enough interesting characters - or enough distinct characters at all especially in ALO
6. Virtually every girl that Kirito meets falls in love with him (pun intended)
7. Too much fan service. Bouncing boobies, ladies in their undergarments, upskirts, boob grabs, and rape.
8. Alfheim was generally just not that interesting.
*How many people played Alfheim... like 50? You hardly see any characters in this world.
*Once again - the lack of risk in dying took away from it.

Overall, I give this anime a 6/10
It was watchable, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. From what the ratings are from some people - it seems to me was overrated. On the bright side, I get to add another anime to my ever growing list.

This isent ever going to be animated i bet but have anyone read Tower of God?
I've heard of it, but I have not read it.

Give me a basic plot summery, if it sounds interesting I'll give it shot (It's on my manga app so that's a good start for it)

I've heard of it, but I have not read it.

Give me a basic plot summery, if it sounds interesting I'll give it shot (It's on my manga app so that's a good start for it)

This is the Summary from Wikipedia:
The story centers around a boy called Twenty-Fifth Baam, who has spent his life trapped beneath a mysterious tower. Chasing after his only friend, he manages to open a door into the Tower, and must now face challenges at each floor of this mysterious tower as he tries to find his companion.

(It is a story about Betrayals, Friendship, Trust and Survival.)

And this is from the start.

What do you desire? Fortune? Glory? Power? Revenge? Or something that surpasses all others? Whatever you desire, 'that' is here. Tower of God.
---------------------------------------------------
I like Androssi Zahard's character specialy the small horn on her forehead.
tower_of_god_by_aisco-d6w6n3p.jpg
Its just a picture, i wanted a picture with everyone on but its hard.

(Just going to say this right now that if it says "Night" they might mean Baam as Baam means Night.)

And 2 quotes i really like, read if you want 1 big spoiler. (I dident include who said what tho.)
"If you're going to come back, the sooner the better. If you're too late we might not get a chance. To date."
"Your god... is just a fragment of your imagination from your weakness."

EDIT: If you get scared of because i write to much well.... am sowwy!!

A friend of mine has been practically begging me to watch the anime "Sword Art Online", as it's apprently one of his favorites. The reviews on it are pretty good, so I figured "Why not?".

I decided to compile my own pros/cons list.

HUGE SPOILERS FOR SWORD ART ONLINE YO.

Pros
- Good art/animation
- Most of the voice acting was pretty good in the English dub.

Cons
1. TONS of cliches
*The entire basis of the game being players trapped inside a game where they can die irl.
*Sheer will/love can overcome something impossible. (This isn't always a bad thing, Gurren Lagaan did this perfectly)
*Didn't record any others, I just know there were quite a few cringe moments.
2. Most characters are incredibly one sided with little to no depth.
3. Plenty of bad writing, awkward and repetitive wording / cringeworthy lines.
4. Kirito beating Radcliffe was lame, I feel the story would've been VASTLY superior if the characters stayed in SAO until they beat level 100.
* After the danger of everyone actually dying went away, it just wasn't as suspenseful.
5. The story didn't have enough interesting characters - or enough distinct characters at all especially in ALO
6. Virtually every girl that Kirito meets falls in love with him (pun intended)
7. Too much fan service. Bouncing boobies, ladies in their undergarments, upskirts, boob grabs, and rape.
8. Alfheim was generally just not that interesting.
*How many people played Alfheim... like 50? You hardly see any characters in this world.
*Once again - the lack of risk in dying took away from it.

Overall, I give this anime a 6/10
It was watchable, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. From what the ratings are from some people - it seems to me was overrated. On the bright side, I get to add another anime to my ever growing list.

To be fair, while it is incredibly flawed as a series, I was still entertained by SAO.

Also, It is impossible to avoid invoking a trope or cliche in any show, ever. Just because a show is riddled with the cliche it doesn't mean that the show is necessarily bad. The problem with Cliche is not the abundance of tropes, but rather the bad writing and characters (as you've stated). For example, Tenga Toppen Gurren Laggann thrives of the amount of tropes present within the show, yet it is highly praised by many. It is how the author uses and adapts upon the cliche that determines whether a text is crap or not.

To be fair, while it is incredibly flawed as a series, I was still entertained by SAO.

Also, It is impossible to avoid invoking a trope or cliche in any show, ever. Just because a show is riddled with the cliche it doesn't mean that the show is necessarily bad. The problem with Cliche is not the abundance of tropes, but rather the bad writing and characters (as you've stated). For example, Tenga Toppen Gurren Laggann thrives of the amount of tropes present within the show, yet it is highly praised by many. It is how the author uses and adapts upon the cliche that determines whether a text is crap or not.
I absolutely agree! That's precisely why I included Gurren Lagaan as a good example - it was over the top and yet was amazing. SAO still had some enjoyable moments; but all in all, it's near the bottom of all the anime that I've watched.

I absolutely agree! That's precisely why I included Gurren Lagaan as a good example - it was over the top and yet was amazing. SAO still had some enjoyable moments; but all in all, it's near the bottom of all the anime that I've watched.
You haven't watched much bad anime have you seeing as how SAO is near the bottom of your list.

This is the Summary from Wikipedia:
The story centers around a boy called Twenty-Fifth Baam, who has spent his life trapped beneath a mysterious tower. Chasing after his only friend, he manages to open a door into the Tower, and must now face challenges at each floor of this mysterious tower as he tries to find his companion.

(It is a story about Betrayals, Friendship, Trust and Survival.)

And this is from the start.

What do you desire? Fortune? Glory? Power? Revenge? Or something that surpasses all others? Whatever you desire, 'that' is here. Tower of God.
---------------------------------------------------
I like Androssi Zahard's character specialy the small horn on her forehead.
tower_of_god_by_aisco-d6w6n3p.jpg
Its just a picture, i wanted a picture with everyone on but its hard.

(Just going to say this right now that if it says "Night" they might mean Baam as Baam means Night.)

And 2 quotes i really like, read if you want 1 big spoiler. (I dident include who said what tho.)
"If you're going to come back, the sooner the better. If you're too late we might not get a chance. To date."
"Your god... is just a fragment of your imagination from your weakness."

EDIT: If you get scared of because i write to much well.... am sowwy!!
Well guess who just started reading it?

Hint: It's not Sean Bean.

You haven't watched much bad anime have you seeing as how SAO is near the bottom of your list.
At least bad anime has a lot of charm because it's bad, and everyone knows it's bad.

The fact that people appreciate SAO to such a great extent, same with AoT, makes it MUCH MUCH worse.

When you watch anime for the sole purpose of discussing it, fanbase is 90% of the anime.

At least bad anime has a lot of charm because it's bad, and everyone knows it's bad.

The fact that people appreciate SAO to such a great extent, same with AoT, makes it MUCH MUCH worse.

When you watch anime for the sole purpose of discussing it, fanbase is 90% of the anime.

Still, at least its not school days.

This.
This is the reason.
Kris figured it out.

Good job.

Well I'm not that far in yet, Baam just got Black March from Yuri, but much like Shulk, "I'm really feeling it."

I wanna see more of Black March actually. She's sexist she don't like females. xD

EDIT: there is 202 chapters so far and it should still be going.

I wanna see more of Black March actually. She's sexist she don't like females. xD

EDIT: there is 202 chapters so far and it should still be going.
Yeah I noticed there was close to 195 chapters for Tower of God, but then there was a Tower of God season 2, that would bump the total amount up into the 200s.

I'm actually glad you recommended a manga (of sorts) because I needed something to read since I wrapped up all of Jojo and am reading and watching Hellsing at the same time (so I only get to read like 5 chapters of it every week).

Back