._. School...

The only time grades matter is somewhat in high school and all of college. No one will look at your middle school grades except idiots and stuck up morons. The only people middle school grades count for is you, as they have some say over what you want to do in high school.

Wooty said:
Eighth grade may well be important to 9th grade, but in the whole scheme of things, it's certainly not a show stopper. If you want my advice at getting a nice job, here is the fool-proof plan:

1. Take computer science classes -- as many as your school offers
2. Learn Java, PHP, HTML, CSS, Javascript (in that order of importance)
3. Go to college for computer science, and make at least a 3.0 GPA
4. Make sure you continue to learn about new technologies -- you won't be in the job market for at least nine years, and a lot can change in that time.

I know a lot of people just exiting college, and those without Computer Science degrees are struggling to find work. Those who graduated in Computer Science received internships during and immediately after school, and were usually offered full time jobs basically instantly.

Computer science is the only continuously, constantly expanding industry, and there is always room for growth. If you go to school for art, theater, architecture, finance, law, or anything else, prepare for a long job hunt.

Dude. That is the best advice I have received so far. I was looking for something that deals with computers... As my attention span won't read it unless it has to do with computers.

I also had thoughts of being an engineer. I always have been wondering how stuff works. (I am a very hands-on person)

Engineering is probably the second hottest market, but at the moment it is VERY flooded. I see engineering openings at job fairs, but there's always more kids looking for jobs than companies providing them. If you don't go into computer science, at least learn java in your spare time ;)

Casey said:
I slept through most of high school and I will tell you what really matters. This is the most important lesson that you could use and it will apply for the rest if your life. People don't care what you know, as long as you sound like you know it. Don't worry about actually learning stuff, learn how to bs because that is the best way to get any where. Even if you actually know your stuff, you can get so much further with it by bsing. I am not condoning cheating, simply use your time wisely and learn that its not quite what you know, but how you present what you know.

That doesn't work with my family. If they find out I fell asleep of something in class, they would punish me... Alot. They're always talking about how much my teachers like me, and potential and that stuff. My dad gets pissed that I play videogames instead of playing an instrument or something. Sometimes I wish I didn't have all this stuff

Wooty said:
Engineering is probably the second hottest market, but at the moment it is VERY flooded. I see engineering openings at job fairs, but there's always more kids looking for jobs than companies providing them. If you don't go into computer science, at least learn java in your spare time ;)

Hmmm, but what do I do in computer science, I hope it involves computers.... ;)

Oh! I also like chemistry- I want to make stuff like Jimmy neutron!

Eighth grade may well be important to 9th grade, but in the whole scheme of things, it's certainly not a show stopper. If you want my advice at getting a nice job, here is the fool-proof plan:

4. Make sure you continue to learn about new technologies -- you won't be in the job market for at least nine years, and a lot can change in that time.

I know a lot of people just exiting college, and those without Computer Science degrees are struggling to find work. Those who graduated in Computer Science received internships during and immediately after school, and are usually offered full time jobs basically instantly.

Computer science is the only continuously, constantly expanding industry, and there is always room for growth. If you go to school for art, theater, architecture, finance, law, or anything else, prepare for a long job hunt.

*disclaimer* Make sure you like what you do. That's important.
BEST ADVICE EVER!

I know a lot of people just exiting college, and those without Computer Science degrees are struggling to find work. Those who graduated in Computer Science received internships during and immediately after school, and are usually offered full time jobs basically instantly.

I've basically been doing that. Looks like I'm set for life. Thanks woot! :mays:

That doesn't work with my family. If they find out I fell asleep of something in class, they would punish me... Alot. They're always talking about how much my teachers like me, and potential and that stuff. My dad gets pissed that I play videogames instead of playing an instrument or something. Sometimes I wish I didn't have all this stuff
Wow, all parents on the face of the planet must be biased against creative learning. Sure, I could study for a uninteresting history class about the Cold War...or I could play Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker and learn about intelligent AI and the principles of nuclear deterrence while having fun at the same time! Many video games now usually deal with valuable life lessons and morals, or just things that involve a "bigger picture" than just learning things like statistics and trigonometry in a math class. I actually feel like I've learned quite a lot of things from playing video games rather than just studying in school.

CaptainGinyu said:
Wow, all parents on the face of the planet must be biased against creative learning. Sure, I could study for a uninteresting history class about the Cold War...or I could play Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker and learn about intelligent AI and the principles of nuclear deterrence while having fun at the same time! Many video games now usually deal with valuable life lessons and morals, or just things that involve a "bigger picture" than just learning things like statistics and trigonometry in a math class. I actually feel like I've learned quite a lot of things from playing video games rather than just studying in school.

My dad still wants me to do stuff, he's always like man! Tons of kids at the pool!
When I go up there, what do you see? Noone but the smokin hot lifeguard. He's that kind if parent

My dad still wants me to do stuff, he's always like man! Tons of kids at the pool!
When I go up there, what do you see? Noone but the smokin hot lifeguard. He's that kind if parent

Sounds like he really cares. You'll get it eventually.

This. It's what I'm in the process of doing minus a few things, because my highschool sucked + i'm lazy, and substitute computer science for computer engineering.

Dude - I play guitar and TF2. Problem solved.

I was going to voice the importance of learning about computers, technology and engineering, but I see Sonic beat me to it :thumbsup:

You're following the same year pattern I did, and what I found was that 8th grade wasn't too bad. The exception of course is if you're taking classes that somehow give you highschool credit, then those become difficult (and honors Spanish, wish I had that lol).

But yeah once you're in highschool you can hopefully take classes that interest you more. And as Woot said, the job market for computer science or related professions is huge right now (particularly software, for example Microsoft has hundreds of openings even in this bad economy).

Ok I'm done rambling.

I forgot to mention. Take as many AP classes and correspondence as you can. They get you college credit and are much easier than the real thing.

I forgot to mention. Take as many AP classes and correspondence as you can. They get you college credit and are much easier than the real thing.
This. By god this. I wish I would have been able to take more than 2 AP classes, but being in california, and in a small school those were the first thing to go when the budget went to hell here.

1. My school is tight that we need to have enough people to actually run courses
2. Profit
3. We aren't all super genius's
4. ............

Back