• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Is a creative server possible?

Why on earth would you quote me and then say exactly the same thing? I'm putting you back on my ignore list, you're just too immature for me to be reading your posts.
Whaaaaa? I-I..... What the hell?! I thought you were worried about the wilderness getting griefed, so I just showed a solution! What is wrong with you?!

I've always been a bit torn when it comes to creative versus survival. While I've hated to see new maps generated and all that was, is now gone and the chagrin of once again having to dig down into the world to harvest it's riches to build again, I have grown akin to actually having to work in order to build. On the flip-side though, creative holds a certain appeal as one is no longer bound to spending hours on end miles below the surface in search of rare minerals with which to build grand structures. No longer does a design have to be put on hold for weeks while one waits for the procuring of needed materials, it can all be realized in real-time. My only concern with a creative server would be whether or not it would be something akin to Classic where worlds are generated on a rather consistent basis. True, with Creative it's not as big of a deal because you're not spending all that time gathering resources, but rather being able to just build, but it's still no less depressing to see work gone - especially when coupled with how nearly limitless the game is.

Freebuild is not impossible on MC Servers. Many anti-grief plugins (i.e. Watchblock) allow for freebuilds without a lot of monitoring.

I've always been a bit torn when it comes to creative versus survival. While I've hated to see new maps generated and all that was, is now gone and the chagrin of once again having to dig down into the world to harvest it's riches to build again, I have grown akin to actually having to work in order to build. On the flip-side though, creative holds a certain appeal as one is no longer bound to spending hours on end miles below the surface in search of rare minerals with which to build grand structures. No longer does a design have to be put on hold for weeks while one waits for the procuring of needed materials, it can all be realized in real-time. My only concern with a creative server would be whether or not it would be something akin to Classic where worlds are generated on a rather consistent basis. True, with Creative it's not as big of a deal because you're not spending all that time gathering resources, but rather being able to just build, but it's still no less depressing to see work gone - especially when coupled with how nearly limitless the game is.

There is a considerable trade-off to this, indeed. One thing worth pointing out that has already been mentioned is that a Creative server wouldn't necessarily have to be wiped and regenerated every so often, it could be limitless. The only issue to this would be space on the server that hosts the map, and the amount of stress this may cause on said server. I think given the current size of MC players on T9k, that a world with limits would have to be in place, but the size of such world is something I wouldn't know.

But, I think going along with what you said, kagato, I would feel slightly less...satisfied with my builds on a creative server. There is something rewarding with going out and having to mine everything you need to build. We have a lot of amazing builders and I think initially it will be amazing to see what you guys could do without any restrictions, but even that may eventually lose its awe if there are incredible builds everywhere.

If there was a way to have a permanent Creative server that didn't need to be regularly dumped and regenerated like Classic (with exception to major updates, of course) I think I would be in favor of a Creative server.

One way we could have a creative server could be plots of 50x50 or 100x100. theres a plugin which allows a world to generate these plots automaticly and a command with the plugin to automaticly assign someone to a new plot. I've encountered it a lot. I think it is called PlotMe, but i'm not sure, thats just the command. Also, with the plugin, you can add or remove certain permissions on your own plot. Thats what i think would be a soloution to the grief problem.

One way we could have a creative server could be plots of 50x50 or 100x100. theres a plugin which allows a world to generate these plots automaticly and a command with the plugin to automaticly assign someone to a new plot. I've encountered it a lot. I think it is called PlotMe, but i'm not sure, thats just the command. Also, with the plugin, you can add or remove certain permissions on your own plot. Thats what i think would be a soloution to the grief problem.

I really do not like plot worlds. Freebuild would allow people who migrate from T9K Classic some familiarity, and also allow for super-epic builds. :D

Would running two separate servers be necessary though? Easy enough to have a creative map accessed via portal from the survival map. It has an added bonus of not splitting the chat and players into two.

This really doesn't need to turn into a "how do we do it" thread, as I've already mentioned before that I have a way for it to be done. People just need to be on board.

I would be on board for a Creative server whether it be plot or freebuild based. I don't like Survival so I've stuck to Classic. This would really be the ideal place for me to play. I get the unlimited block amount that I have in Classic plus the crap load of new blocks, larger worlds, improved chat plugins, and improved plugins in general that we have in Survival. I would be fine with Classic and or Survival just being scrapped frankly.

This really doesn't need to turn into a "how do we do it" thread, as I've already mentioned before that I have a way for it to be done. People just need to be on board.
Honestly, I'd like it, but I wouldn't play it too much. Creative servers lose a lot of the dynamics of a Survival server, such as the economy. I enjoy haggling prices, etc.

Guys,
You are all missing the point!

Woot knows how to do it,

He's just asking if you guys want it.

No sacrifices
No losses
Just having one, is all.

It's as simple as saying yes.
Foath

Look, it would work fine, just like the current classic server does. All you need to do is mod it well (updates would be handled by the Mod API if they ever implement it), and all that.

The real problem here is that no-one wants to move off classic, which is free, to premium, which isn't.

I'm sure it also wouldn't be too hard to convert the classic saves into something the current version could run just fine. Maybe you should look into it, woot.

Back