Magic: The Gathering Thread

The types of decks that run absurd cards like the colossus and the eldrazi are called reanimator decks. They use cards like Reanimator, Exhume and Animate Dead to toss them onto the field from the graveyard. I could pop any creature in the game onto the field on turn 2 with my reanimator deck, given the right hand.
And that, my friend is why I don't play legacy or modern.

And that, my friend is why I don't play legacy or modern.

You think that the cards are too overpowered in legacy? That is what I enjoy most about it. Everyone can devise decks equally epic so the playing field is balanced out. Part of playing legacy or any game of magic is being able to deal with your opponents insane combos through counters or creature removal. Every deck, no matter what, has some counter or weakness, and part of building a good deck is having a wide enough range of control cards to deal with any number of different decks and combos while still being able to present a win-condition for yourself.

You think that the cards are too overpowered in legacy? That is what I enjoy most about it. Everyone can devise decks equally epic so the playing field is balanced out. Part of playing legacy or any game of magic is being able to deal with your opponents insane combos through counters or creature removal. Every deck, no matter what, has some counter or weakness, and part of building a good deck is having a wide enough range of control cards to deal with any number of different decks and combos while still being able to present a win-condition for yourself.
It's more because I don't really like shelling out that much money all at once right now since I'm starting up. I will probably eventually start playing modern when I've been back in the game for a while.

Also: Placed 3rd in FNM last night. :)

/bump

Bought a couple of Magic booster packs, I'm so excited, I've never had any Magic cards in my life.
image.jpg

I'll post if I open something cool :3!

/bump

Bought a couple of Magic booster packs, I'm so excited, I've never had any Magic cards in my life.
View attachment 141442
I'll post if I open something cool :3!

Theros decks are cool.. they are inspired by ancient Greek folklore and culture. I won't say that they are the strongest though... in terms of maximum efficiency.

Half the fun I get out of MTG is from the games I play against random folk. The other half is making your deck.. which can be very time consuming but is better on your eyes than computers.

Try getting second hand stuff from people. They are usually priced alot lower and if you can get like 300 then you're set to have a potentially good/functional deck.

I've pulled 2 elspeth, the sun's champions so far. One foiled (pulled on launch weekend), one nonfoiled (pulled last saturday). I currently have an Azorius detain, Izzet control/burn, and Boros Aggro deck, and I'm planning on mixing the three together to make a RWU Control/Burn/Aggro deck

Image.ashx

Currently running mono black devotion... Aka my emo deck. Because it keeps cutting its self. (Thoughtsieze... Read the bones.)

I find it amusing that I only seem to pull the two colors I currently don't want out of booster packs (Black and green). I'm thinking of turning those into decks. Should build a Black/Green Gorgon deck? or a Green/White token/heal deck, and a Black/Blue deck?

So it's my birthday :rofl:
I went to my card store and bought a deck of cards, it was like $4. I also got a 2014 fat pack as a gift, so I'm really loving Magic the Gathering. I've already seen a lot of "how to play" videos and etc, but it would be pretty cool if you guys could explain :3 I get how to make decks and type of cards etc. Just not so sure on how to setup a game and how you decide if the game is done or not. :D

I went to my card store and bought a deck of cards, it was like $4. I also got a 2014 phat pack as a gift, so I'm really loving Magic the Gathering. I've already seen a lot of "how to play" videos and etc, but it would be pretty cool if you guys could explain :3 I get how to make decks and type of cards etc. Just not so sure on how to setup a game and how you decide if the game is done or not. :D

Wish I could help you but that is only something that can be done in real life rather than asking for help on the internet.

You could install the demo version of MTG 2014 on steam and it should help out.

I went to my card store and bought a deck of cards, it was like $4. I also got a 2014 phat pack as a gift, so I'm really loving Magic the Gathering. I've already seen a lot of "how to play" videos and etc, but it would be pretty cool if you guys could explain :3 I get how to make decks and type of cards etc. Just not so sure on how to setup a game and how you decide if the game is done or not. :D

I have to leave for class right now, but I will type out a lengthy description when I have a moment today. Keep reading about the game. I would start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_rules

That wiki covers all of the basics. As you delve into more competitive playing, rules get more and more obscure around specific cards, their effects, and how they interact with other cards. With such an immense number of magic cards, things such as infinite combos were bound to happen at some point, and countless other very interesting ways to use cards in combination. Learning to play magic, in my opinion, is more about learning how to abuse cards in combination to get an advantage, no matter how small, over your opponent. These do not have to be dumb 4 card infinite combos, but small things like getting an extra mana for each time you do something, or drawing a card each time you do something to give you a card advantage. I will explain more about this later. Also, I suggest looking up tournament standard decks recently used. Analyze them and try to figure out how the cards interact that makes it a high ranking tournament deck.

Suppose I should read up on what all has changed since I played, had been thinking about picking it back up. Believe the last expansion I purchased was Urza's Legacy, having played since Beta. Kind of miss having my 'ol Moxes and Black Lotus - especially looking at how much they sell for nowadays versus how much I sold mind for. Fortunately everybody I played with let me use proxy cards for them so I didn't have to worry about them getting damaged/worn.

1396046_10151907657446358_2017643206_n.jpg

1402917_10151907657446358_2017643206_o.jpg

Here's mah deck. It's got souljas :D

Lots of nasty ways to stop guys from blocking and some exalted things to boost the damage.

I wish I had more oblivion rings and other soldiers (preferably with exalted) to replace some knights.

In any case, this is my go-to deck at Friday Night Magic.

It's cheap and functional. While other guys may run various mythics and/or planeswalkers my deck runs out swinging fast and hard without breaking a sweat... unless I draw like 4 lands in a row.. then I'm screwed.

1396046_10151907657446358_2017643206_n.jpg

Here's mah deck. It's got souljas :D

Lots of nasty ways to stop guys from blocking and some exalted things to boost the damage.

I wish I had more oblivion rings and other soldiers (preferably with exalted) to replace some knights.

In any case, this is my go-to deck at Friday Night Magic.

It's cheap and functional. While other guys may run various mythics and/or planeswalkers my deck runs out swinging fast and hard without breaking a sweat... unless I draw like 4 lands in a row.. then I'm screwed.

That is a pretty nice white weenie exalted deck. I ran a bant exalted deck for a while. Exalted decks are extremely powerful when played for speed. They will beat any slow moving control deck or late game aggro.

Follow-Up Post On Magic the Gathering Rules and Play:

Game Set-Up:

To set up a 1v1 game, each player places his or her deck in front of them on the right, facing their opponent. Usually a dice is rolled to decide which player goes first. At this point, each player draws a starting hand of 7 cards. Playing casually, it is common for friends to let other friends reshuffle and redraw a hand of 7 if they got a crappy hand of all mana or have no mana in their starting hand. If you want to know the rules of tournament play regarding drawing your first hand and what is allowed, feel free to ask. If you are the player to go first, you DO NOT draw a card at the beginning of your first turn. For this reason, when asked if you want to go first or second, you can respond with "play" or "draw". If you choose play, that means you want to go first and be able to play first, whereas if you go second, you are the first player to draw at the beginning of his or her turn. That is the fundamentals of setting up your game. In terms of the board, directly to the right of your library is your graveyard, where spells go when they resolve and where creatures and other permanents go when they die, assuming no other spells of abilities come into effect. This is also where you place cards that must be discarded. Note that you may never have more than 7 cards in your hand at the beginning of your upkeep unless you have an ability that says you may. If you do have more than 7, before your turn you have to discard cards until you have 7. To the left of your library is where you play lands. Some players stack lands of the same type, but each player sorts them differently. FInd a way that is neat, organized, and works for you. Make sure your opponent can clearly see what lands you have both tapped AND untapped. In front of your library, graveyard and lands is called the battlefield. This is where you play all non-land permanents like enchantments (assuming they do not target lands) creatures, artifacts and planeswalkers.

To begin the topic of gameplay, lets first look at the most important part of gameplay -- How you win.

In order to win a game of magic, 1 of 4 criteria must be met:
  1. A players life total is reduced to 0 or less
  2. A player is required to draw a card but can't due to having no cards in his/her library
  3. A player has 10 or more poison counters
  4. A card or ability states that a player wins or loses the game is resolved successfully

The most common of these criteria, obviously, is the first. Straight up damage. In a standard 1v1, each player begins the game with 20 life points, and at the end of the game, one of the players has 0. It is, of course, possible for both players' life totals to reach 0 at the same time, resulting in a draw.

The other criteria are pretty straightforward as well. Most games will never reach the point where a player runs out of cards in his or her library except in rare cases of combos that cycle through your deck, or playing against a mill deck that's purpose is to send cards from your library to your graveyard in large numbers very quickly. As for poison counters, there are some cards that have an effect called infect. These cards do not deal regular combat damage. Instead, they deal damage in the form of poison counters to whatever target is hit. If a creature blocks something with infect, it takes damage in the form of poison counters. Each poison counter on a creature gives it -1/-1, which stack until the creature dies. If a creature with infect hits a player, that player receives poison counters equal to damage that would have been dealt. Poison counters stack up until they reach 10, at which point any player with 10 or more poison counters loses the game. Until that point, however, they do nothing. Other than milling, poison, and standard combat, the only other way to lose is from card abilities, such as Door to Nothingness, that has the ability "tap, pay 2 mana of each color and sacrifice Door to Nothingness, target player loses the game". The other most common one is Phage the Untouchable, that has the ability "whenever phage deals combat damage to a player, that player loses the game".

Now, lets look at a standard turn in Magic the Gathering:

This will be continued when I have additional free time later today. Back to class! Feel free to ask questions as you have them. I have a very extensive knowledge of the rules and conduct of magic.

Thank you everyone for helping me out with the basics <3
I appreciate it.

I was unboxing a fat pack with my friend, and he pulled a
image.jpg
:D

lol not even standard bro :p. good draw, great in modern with a good black deck.

I don't think he should be very concerned about standard. Wootwoo, I will eventually include the different types of game play and the cards allowed in them. For now, disregard what pyro said. You have no need to worry about that xD too much information to think about when you are just starting to wrap your head around the game.

Back