Magic: The Gathering Thread

I don't think he should be very concerned about standard. Wootwoo, I will eventually include the different types of game play and the cards allowed in them. For now, disregard what pyro said. You have no need to worry about that xD too much information to think about when you are just starting to wrap your head around the game.
I was joking when i mentioned standard. I actually prefer modern over standard as it allows for more types of cards (Modern Illusions OP). I am only forced to run a coupole standard decks due to FNM.

EDIT: Just got:
Image.ashx

Image.ashx

NivMizzetDracogenius.jpg

Perfect in my Azorius/Boros/Izzet deck.

I was joking when i mentioned standard. I actually prefer modern over standard as it allows for more types of cards (Modern Illusions OP). I am only forced to run a coupole standard decks due to FNM.\

EDIT: Just got:
Image.ashx

Image.ashx

NivMizzetDracogenius.jpg

Perfect in my Azorius/Boros/Izzet deck.

Izzet/Gelectrode decks are my arch nemesis. I can't stand them.

hi team9000,
so i learned a lot more on how to play MTG and i'm getting the hang of this lol.
well i've been trying to make a red/green deck and here it is, I would like help on what cards i should take out and add etc well here.

12x Basic Mountain
12x Basic Forrest
2x Plummet
3x Academy Raider
2x Elvish Mystic
2x Giant Spider
3x Pitchburn Devils
3x Canyon Minotaur
1x Pyromancer's Gauntlet
1x Elixir of Immortality
1x Thorncaster Silver
1x Marauding Maulhorn
1x Flames of the Firebrand
1x Chandra's Outrage
1x Lava Axe
1x Shock
1x Punish the Enemy
2x Naturalize
1x Boros Cluestone
1x Gruul Guildgate
1x Lay of the Land
1x Rumbling Baloth
1x Sedge Scorpion
1x Giant Growth
1x Burning Earth
1x Rumbling Baloth
1x Fog
1x Rootwalla

Thats my red/green deck,
should i add more lands? get rid of a certain card and replace it?
here are some rares that are not in my deck but i have, just wondering if it would be more of use.
Awaken the Ancient
Chandra's Phoenix
Wild Riochet

and now for green​
Megantic Silver

then artifact and land rares​
Silver Construct
Mutavault

so any feedback or advice would be great thx​

I have many decks but the one I use most often and I built for tournament:

Dimir Mill

LAND :
4 Dimir Guildgate
9 Island
9 Swamp

CREATURES:
4 Consuming Abberation
4 Deathcult Rogue
4 Duskmantle Guildmage
1 Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
1 Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker
1 Sepulchral Primordial

INSTANTS/SORCERIES:
4 Paranoid Delusions
2 Undercity Plague
2 Dimir charm
4 Psychic Strike
2 Mind Grind
2 Traumatize

OTHER:
2 Dimir Keyrune
2 Jace, Memory Adept
1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Way of the Thief

I'm getting ready to make some changes to it, however, as it is far too slow. I will most likely be taking out my primordial in favor of Liliana (M14) as the mana cost is too high for the speed I want the deck to be at, and Liliana's +1 and final ability allow my mind grinds to be devastating. I'm also planning to take out my remaining Undercity Plagues due to their high mana cost (6) in favor of 2 more Jace, Memory Adepts. The reason for this is a turn 6 instant win combo. Duskmantle Guildmage's first ability (whenever a card enters a graveyard from anywhere this turn, that player loses 1 life. Cost: 3 mana) can be used as many times as you have mana for. Assuming you don't miss a keyrune, play a guildmage on turn 4 or before, and play jace on turn 5. On turn 6 you'll have the mana to use Jace's passive 10 card mill twice, allowing you to do a total of 20 damage.

I'm also soon going to get a modern Monoblue Illusions Control deck
Decklist:

20 Islands

4 Lord of the Unreal
4 Phantasmal Image
4 Phantasmal Bear
4 Krovikan Mist
4 Phantasmal Abomination

4 Cancel
4 Unsummon
4 Dissolve
4 Voyage’s End
4 Dissipate

I also run Athreos, although my deck isn't standard :/ I have Sorin, Lord of Innistrad, and Ajani Vengant (Shows how long I've been playing) and my favorite cards in my deck are Devout Invocation (tap any number of untapped creatures you control and put a 4/4 flying angel token on the feild for each creature tapped this way) and Ordic, Master Tactitian (if you attack wiith three creatures and him, you can choose which creatures block which of if anyone blocks in general)

EDIT: just read the article. THEY ARE BRINGING BACK AN ELDRAZI SET PLANESWALKER IT SEEMS! Although I saw no Eldrazi, the planeswalker gets my hopes up a bit. Everyone I meet agrees that the Eldrazi are the most overpowered group of creatures in the game.

Holy thread revival batman.
I have not played MTG since highschool, so I definitely don't have a substantial deck. But I can say right now, my most favourite deck to use was a friend's deck that he had nicknamed 'Gabriel'. Mostly because it was an all out ass-hander Angel deck. Complete and absolute thrasher.
I have some pretty basic decks sitting in a box somewhere that I think are pretty rad, but I have no one to really play with since the Magic nights in town were cancelled [and my ex was still a freaking weirdo there] and I am an adult[ish]. I have a bit of everything in my decks including a couple of rares from the ex', which is pretty rad. Though what I find rad about them is the shiny. sucker for shinies.
thinking about it kinda makes me want to go back to highschool just to play MTG.

This:
zurgohelmsmasher1.jpg

This is Zurgo Helmsmasher, Khan of the Mardu Horde. The watermark and expansion symbol is for Speed and Cunning, if any were curious.
Khans of Tarkir is confirmed enemy wedge and is split into 5 warring factions.
The factions and color combinations are as followed:

Abzan: WBG
Jeskai: URW
Sultai: BGU
Mardu: RWB
Temur: GUR

As you can tell, the center color is the primary color, and the other two are the enemy colors. However, the factions seem to embody the first of the listed colors, given the descriptions below.

The returning mechanic is also revealed as:
Morph!

For those curious about the source, the announcement was from SDCC, during their panel. Some of the tweets, which include more information:

KHANS OF TARKIR TEASER TRAILER IS PLAYING NOW! Who's ready for some KHANS INFO??? #MTGSDCC

This is a LARGE-SMALL-LARGE set with a unique draft structure and time travel element.

Tarkir is a plane of five warring clans! Each worships one aspect of the (now extinct) dragons.

(Alison) ENEMY WEDGE COLORS! #MTGSDCC

The ABZAN value endurance...

Abzan is white black green! #MTGSDCC

The JESKAI admire the cunning of dragons!
Jeskai are blue red white aligned!

The SULTAI respect the ruthlessness of dragons!
The Sultai are black green blue aligned.

(Alison) The MARDU value the speed of the dragon!
The Mardu's Khan is Zorgo Helmsmasher. Recognize him from the Speed vs Cunning Duel Deck earlier...?

Temur is green blue red aligned!

Apologies to Khan Zurgo Helmsmasher for misspelling his name earlier. He may smash the autocorrect I'm using.

(Alison) FORTY POSSIBLE PRERELEASE CARDS AT THE KHANS PRERELEASE

(Alison) That's eight possible prerelease rares per color! #MTGSDCC

(Alison) question time! Will we see a three color Planeswalker? Probably!

(Alison) Each clan gets their own mechanic, plus morph is back! #MTGSDCC

(Alison) TEMUR praise the dragons' savagery! #MTGSDCC

(Alison) One more thing! Curious about mechanics? We're happy to announce the return of MORPH! #MTGSDCC

(Alison) Conspiracy was a big success, and it has definitely impacted what we'll do in the future

It's actually quite amusing to see popular color combinations such as american and bug change their deck names to the Tarkir faction names already.

Edit: Also time travel :confused:

I feel that the font change and big black borders are a huge turnoff for me. But like all new Youtube layouts, I guess i'll grow to accept them in mah collection.
You know what i think would be really cool? is if mtg made their cards like alpha styled. i think it would be so cool to see.
i just think the layout was so cool. it might not be cool to other mtg players, at least i think.

Just got back from FNM, and placed 2-2 (11th) with a very experimental deck.

Decklist:
9x Island
15x Plains
2x Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3x Jace, Architect of Thought
3x Detention Sphere
1x Spear of Heliod
3x Triplicate Spirits
3x Raise the Alarm
2x Congregate
3x Azorius Charm
2x Sphinx's Revelation
3x Seraph of the Masses
4x Hopeful Eidolon
3x Ghostblade Eidolon
2x Ephara, God of the Polis
1x Heliod, God of the Sun

Sideboard:
3x Dissolve
3x Ajani's Presence
2x Deicide
2x Rootborn Defense
2x Elixir of Immortality
1x Akroan Horse
2x Syncopate

The deck is supposed to try to hold out until you can get a large amount of creatures out, and then drop down a Seraph of the Masses (Power an Toughness equal to amount of creatures you control) and win. Thoughts?

So if you guys didn't see it already, these two words have magically turned my money into booster box preorders.
Onslaught Fetches

That's good news for my Grimgrin EDH.

You guys probably already know about this, but a technique some of my friends showed me when I was getting into magic a bit ago was mana shuffling. You spread out your deck and put 1 or 2 land of whatever 2 types you are using with a few regular cards, so whenever you shuffle you will still probably have a fairly even proportion of cards and land.

I have 3 decks that I use. I have a Black and Green deathtouch deck with a Lichlord legendary in it, a full red deck featuring 4 guttersnipes and no card with more than 3 mana total cost, and a white and blue deck where almost every card taps one of yours. The white and blue one is a modified version of the pack you can buy (Azorius Authority), the other 2 I created from a mix of the 2014 starter kit and trading with my friends. I don't have any planeswalkers though, but honestly I feel they mess with the balance of the game quite a bit. However I might just be saying that because I don't have any...

Managed to go 4-0 and take 1st place at FNM last friday using my new mono-blue aggro. I opened a box afterwards and pulled 2 fetches, but no walkers. I'm also looking into zendikar lands for my mono-blue. Which art is the best? I'm leaning towards 236 but I'm still deciding. Any opinions are accepted!

Managed to go 4-0 and take 1st place at FNM last friday using my new mono-blue aggro. I opened a box afterwards and pulled 2 fetches, but no walkers. I'm also looking into zendikar lands for my mono-blue. Which art is the best? I'm leaning towards 236 but I'm still deciding. Any opinions are accepted!

Are your decks super secret, or can you share the lists for purely intelectual purposes? :p
Also, mtgvault is a very nice place to organize decks and play around if you are interested.

I still have (sort of) the same 3 decks I previously mentioned. Here is the link to my red deck that I still have yet to fully test out, as I don't have Satyr's yet.

But what I really wanted to mention was this deck that I found. I'm no where near rich or invested enough to create something exactly like that, but it did inspire another deck I recently thought of.

My "Landblast" deck, with proper shuffling and good luck will hopefully be able to 1 shot people on turn 3. It is arguably more silly and ridiculous than what inspired me, but if it worked it would be hella fun!

I'm just curious if anyone else has other crazy/fun decks they like playing, or even any really interesting cards that they've come across.

Are your decks super secret, or can you share the lists for purely intelectual purposes? :p
Also, mtgvault is a very nice place to organize decks and play around if you are interested.

I still have (sort of) the same 3 decks I previously mentioned. Here is the link to my red deck that I still have yet to fully test out, as I don't have Satyr's yet.

But what I really wanted to mention was this deck that I found. I'm no where near rich or invested enough to create something exactly like that, but it did inspire another deck I recently thought of.

My "Landblast" deck, with proper shuffling and good luck will hopefully be able to 1 shot people on turn 3. It is arguably more silly and ridiculous than what inspired me, but if it worked it would be hella fun!

I'm just curious if anyone else has other crazy/fun decks they like playing, or even any really interesting cards that they've come across.
Here's the mono-blue list I played: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/monoblue-aggro-thingy/
As you also probably noticed, I use tappedout.net to manage all of my decks and deck ideas.
I'm looking into replacing the Dakra Mystics with Triton Shorestalkers for more aggression.

If you're at all curious as to the matchups I faced during fnm:
Game 1 (2/1) - Abzan aggro/midrange (Their deck was still in progress, it was mainly orzhov with a small green splash)
Game 2 (2/0) - White weenie (This was my friend who normally takes 4-0 at fnm, however his deck took a huge hit with rotation)
Game 3 (2/1) - Monoblack Hand Attack (Singing Bell Strike + their Master of the Feasts = Win)
Game 4 (2/1) - Jeskai Control (Negates and Quicklings + Sideboard protection wins)

As for the land-based deck, it's unreliable in my opinion, as counterspells and such can delay your assault while your opponent tears apart your strategy. An aetherize or Armageddon could decimate your win-con by returning all of your lands back to your hand, or by destroying your lands. Of course, every deck has its own flaws and you'll have to play around it. Anger of the Gods and Drown and Sorrow will decimate my deck if I'm not careful with it.

Here's the mono-blue list I played: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/monoblue-aggro-thingy/
As you also probably noticed, I use tappedout.net to manage all of my decks and deck ideas.
I'm looking into replacing the Dakra Mystics with Triton Shorestalkers for more aggression.

If you're at all curious as to the matchups I faced during fnm:
Game 1 (2/1) - Abzan aggro/midrange (Their deck was still in progress, it was mainly orzhov with a small green splash)
Game 2 (2/0) - White weenie (This was my friend who normally takes 4-0 at fnm, however his deck took a huge hit with rotation)
Game 3 (2/1) - Monoblack Hand Attack (Singing Bell Strike + their Master of the Feasts = Win)
Game 4 (2/1) - Jeskai Control (Negates and Quicklings + Sideboard protection wins)

As for the land-based deck, it's unreliable in my opinion, as counterspells and such can delay your assault while your opponent tears apart your strategy. An aetherize or Armageddon could decimate your win-con by returning all of your lands back to your hand, or by destroying your lands. Of course, every deck has its own flaws and you'll have to play around it. Anger of the Gods and Drown and Sorrow will decimate my deck if I'm not careful with it.

It seems like you face a decent variety of opponents. Better than all aggro, although you seemed to do well against them. As for the land deck, besides it's obvious unreliability, I spent some time looking up counters to banefire. There are many cards that can dissalow the use of certain spells, or make a player untargetable, and those would completely destroy my plan. I would have to make it an "actual" deck to go against people who were expecting it. It was more of an idea for the surprise factor. As well as the hope that by the time I get Manabond out and then play Treasure Hunt, they'll either ignore it, or have not had time to prepare. :D

As for your blue deck, it is deceptively simple, yet also very strong! Aggrodecks can be fun, but even if it isn't technically "aggro", I do love decks with lots of low mana cost cards.

I never did comment about your mono-red deck. I strongly recommend the new Monastery Swiftspear from Khans of Tarkir. It is starting to take Goblin Guide's place in modern and legacy so grab it now while the price is still relatively low. It works very well with burn as each of your burn spells will boost its power allowing you to quickly pile on damage, should you cast some burn in response to combat damage after the defending player decides not to block it. I would use it to replace Viashino Racketeer. Also note that the deck is not Standard, and there are better cards available if it's suited for modern or casual. 26 lands is also way too high for an aggro deck. You should only go for 26 if it' s a control deck in my opinion. 24 is even pushing it a bit. I would go for 21-23 depending on how fast your cards are. I also strongly recommend you add in some Firedrinker Satyrs, as they're amazing for their large damage at a cheap cost. You're playing mono red as well, so you shouldn't worry about the life loss from firedrinker as your opponent should die long before it matters.

Back