RPG Maker

Patchouli

This thing: http://store.steampowered.com/app/220700

header_292x136.jpg

I need people to talk me out of or into getting this and making a motherfoopin' RPG.
If anyone has this already, please share your experience with it (And stuff about your game).

You should write a team9000 rpg wherein our young hero, Snesalyzer, is forced to leave home in a journey to defeat the evil "Planet Pinecraft" from destroying his home, country, and even world.
I would, but I don't think I could handle the responsibility of making such an epic adventure.

You should write a team9000 rpg wherein our young hero, Snesalyzer, is forced to leave home in a journey to defeat the evil "Planet Pinecraft" from destroying his home, country, and even world.

Something like this. Except he LIVES on Pinecraft, and the world is being changed by the evil Moe Jang into a cuboid landscape. He must travel the world and form a team of 9000 to defeat the sinister overlord and restore the world back to its once splendid 2D landscape.

Something like this. Except he LIVES on Pinecraft, and the world is being changed by the evil Moe Jang into a cuboid landscape. He must travel the world and form a team of 9000 to defeat the sinister overlord and restore the world back to its once splendid 2D landscape.
On the way, he must defeat his foes such as Treeper, a 50 foot tall green monster which can explode things with it's mind, a Zombie apocalypse, and even the dead rising from their graves as day turns tonight. If Snesalyzer can defeat all of these foes he can challenge Moe Jang to one final battle. Snesalyzer, armed with his trusty green sword "Guac", takes on Moe Jang, and his most trusted adviser "Nortch".

Rated E, for Epic.

On the way, he must defeat his foes such as Treeper, a 50 foot tall green monster which can explode things with it's mind, a Zombie apocalypse, and even the dead rising from their graves as day turns tonight. If Snesalyzer can defeat all of these foes he can challenge Moe Jang to one final battle. Snesalyzer, armed with his trusty green sword "Guac", takes on Moe Jang, and his most trusted adviser "Nortch".

Rated E, for Epic.
You can get him to have a hobby of breaking everything too....

Rated E, for Epic.

And rather than recruiting each of the 9000 members of his army individually, he will recruit generals who will assist him with the battles. Such great heroes as Conrad, the impressive pugulist with a knack for fashion; Kashim, the oddly-named Australian who has an equally odd ability over coconuts and women; Ahllee, the man with 88 deadly hat combat techniques (and a splendid chain of restaurants); Tommy Ox, the Zen Buddhist Martial Artist Pacifist who owns an impressive ox doll collection...

I could go on forever making those up...I'm tempted to...

You can get him to have a hobby of breaking everything too....
That comes in the course of every RPG. You work really hard to save a group of people, or make life better for those around you, but inevitably you only make things worse for them in the end, only to fix everything in the end!

And rather than recruiting each of the 9000 members of his army individually, he will recruit generals who will assist him with the battles. Such great heroes as Conrad, the impressive pugulist with a knack for fashion; Kashim, the oddly-named Australian who has an equally odd ability over coconuts and women; Ahllee, the man with 88 deadly hat combat techniques (and a splendid chain of restaurants); Tommy Ox, the Zen Buddhist Martial Artist Pacifist who owns an impressive ox doll collection...

I could go on forever making those up...I'm tempted to...
Please do. I would, but I have to get to work..

Edit: Conrad has a flair for fashion. <3

Please do. I would, but I have to get to work..

Edit: Conrad has a flair for fashion. <3
You can create a gigantic ballistic motorkitteh powered gun that fires coconut headed yucky duckies and breaks everything and then fixes everything again! :D

.....ok that's a bit extreme....

I honestly don't recommend using RPG maker vx. It's a gimped version of xp. But I also wouldn't recommend using xp for beginners. I'm making a top-down game using Game Maker 8 pro and it's much better than what I could do with RPG maker. And the art style is terrible on RPG maker Imo. Just learn a little bit of GML and you'll be fine

(I think Game Maker is the same price.)

I honestly don't recommend using RPG maker vx. It's a gimped version of xp. But I also wouldn't recommend using xp for beginners. I'm making a top-down game using Game Maker 8 pro and it's much better than what I could do with RPG maker. And the art style is terrible on RPG maker Imo. Just learn a little bit of GML and you'll be fine

(I think Game Maker is the same price.)
I don't exactly want to have to learn a language. RPG maker's art doesn't bother me, but what do you mean by the other thing being much better than what you could do with RPG maker?

I actually think it's pretty cool once you get to grips with it. I'm sure you'll be able to find starter tutorials about on the internet so that you know what you're doing. I've seen a lot of great stuff come out of RPGMaker.

I don't actually have it, But a friend of mine does so that's where I got the above from. ^^

I had RPG Maker 2000 back in the day and it was awesome. I can't even imagine what they've added to the program in the last decade. I used it to create a video game for the book Watership Down for my english class one year and to play a scene from Macbeth the year after. 10 years ago everyone thought I had spent months making those. High grades.

I've used it, it's just ehh.

Btw, you have to learn some basic scripting in order to do different events ingame. Like opening a door does what? Or stepping on this title with such-and-such item in your inventory triggers which cutscene?

But I suppose it could be fun if you stuck with it.

Learning curve: Steep.
Time needed: A lot
Patience needed: A lot
Overall outcome once you get the hang of everything: Worth every single penny, and drops of sweat, tears and blood put into it.

:) As long as you have the will to see it through, and the imagination to make it happen, you can create a game where anything is possible. <3

And halfway through the game, the beloved female protagonist you put hours of work into, Casham-aerith dies, leaving you devastated.

And halfway through the game, the beloved female protagonist you put hours of work into, Casham-aerith dies, leaving you devastated.
Progress in the game is measured by to what extent you break everything.

You restore health by eating Oxyburgers and drinking coconut milk potions.

So, I actually did get this, and I've been working on this game the last few days.

I haven't got too much done, basically just getting up, going to someplace, and having a cutscene there. I still need to add a lot of random villagers and such. But next actual game plot thing will lead the player to the first dungeon.

I'm debating adding some serious additions later on, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to deal with the hassle. Basically, the main character is an inventor, she's made guns before any exist otherwise. I kind of want to give her a workshop somewhere that would start out empty, and after getting certain items, she would be able to make different parts of it, which would allow her to make even more things, such as better weapons, technological accessories, and get skills.

Would also like to do the same thing with the second character, which is a mage. I want to make her be able to take magical items and use them to create new spells. Like if she has Spell A, and Spell B, and uses <item>, she gets Spell C.

Though this would be complex as fuck to do and I'm not sure if I'm prepared to implement it.

Back