Star Citizen

Anyone down for a Star Citizen game night? Once the servers stabilize, of course. XD

I'm down for this coming Saturday night. I work full time and go to uni, so that's the only time I know I will have to play. Hopefully they have the server issues fixed by then, although it sounds like they already know what the problem is so they might even be fixed by the end of tomorrow.

Arena Commander is what is out now. There are 20+ ships flyable with 6 multiplayer game modes and 3 single player game modes available. FPS will be out in less than a month.
I don't know what any of those things mean. What's arena commander?

I don't know what any of those things mean. What's arena commander?

Arena Commander is a VR game within the game that basically sets up matches and allows you to fly against/with other people without the fear of losing your ship permanently. It was originally the test bed for their physics engine they developed and the easiest way to give people a piece of what the core gameplay is going to be about.

Just a heads up that the MISC Hul series of ships are up for sale. I have already melted my Reclaimer for the Hull D.

Just a heads up that the MISC Hul series of ships are up for sale. I have already melted my Reclaimer for the Hull D.
Kinda surprised you went for the D. Even that would require a stupid amount of guarding for transportation with its load and size.

Giggty

Is it bigger or smaller than the reclaimer?and what was the step below the D?

Hull_scale.jpg

My CH Products Pro Pedals arrived today. I'm still pretty clunky with them; however, I quite like my new control scheme. As the 325a's primary weapons, Omnisky VIs, are fixed, and I rarely use the Sledge II, I see no reason to have separate axes for controlling the ship's orientation and for aiming. Therefore, I control pitch and yaw with the mouse in my right hand, heave and sway with the joystick in my left, roll with the pedal's rudder axis, backwards longitudinal motion with my left foot, and throttle with my right. What kind of control setups do you all use?

Be warned that "Excessive heave on a ship can result in a phenomenon known as 'sinking'" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_motions).

My CH Products Pro Pedals arrived today. I'm still pretty clunky with them; however, I quite like my new control scheme. As the 325a's primary weapons, Omnisky VIs, are fixed, and I rarely use the Sledge II, I see no reason to have separate axes for controlling the ship's orientation and for aiming. Therefore, I control pitch and yaw with the mouse in my right hand, heave and sway with the joystick in my left, roll with the pedal's rudder axis, backwards longitudinal motion with my left foot, and throttle with my right. What kind of control setups do you all use?

Be warned that "Excessive heave on a ship can result in a phenomenon known as 'sinking'" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_motions).

M + K

Sometime a joystick, but its a crappy joystick so not often.

If we are talking about leaked spoiler stuff, anyone else check out the old Bengal models? Dey look niiiiice...

This demo would have been so much better if they had dropped the dramatic music and replaced it with crew communication or at least developer commentary. The graphics look good, the dogfight mechanics look interesting, and I'm impressed with the work done to the physics engine to have players move independently of the ship, but it's completely lacking in the human department. What I'm interested in is, given these graphics and mechanics, how can gamers interact with each other to improve the experience? Sure, we see a bunch of players (or AI? Can't tell the difference :s ) get on a ship and proceed with a mission in a asteroid field, but why would they do that? How did the decision-making process go? What did they talk about on the way there? How did they react to a new contact? How did they coordinate to deal with a new threat? How did they celebrate their victory? And above all, what kind of player drama happened in between everything.

Adding some people to this demo would have increased the hype 100-fold.

This demo would have been so much better if they had dropped the dramatic music and replaced it with crew communication or at least developer commentary. The graphics look good, the dogfight mechanics look interesting, and I'm impressed with the work done to the physics engine to have players move independently of the ship, but it's completely lacking in the human department. What I'm interested in is, given these graphics and mechanics, how can gamers interact with each other to improve the experience? Sure, we see a bunch of players (or AI? Can't tell the difference :s ) get on a ship and proceed with a mission in a asteroid field, but why would they do that? How did the decision-making process go? What did they talk about on the way there? How did they react to a new contact? How did they coordinate to deal with a new threat? How did they celebrate their victory? And above all, what kind of player drama happened in between everything.

Thing is they did do one a while back with the fps showcase and it was just pure cringe worthy material. I HEAVILY prefer this with some great music from the soundtrack and a nice presentation without some scripted forced dialogue to fit the scenario cause it will work about as well as the live streamed version of this. The only way you're gonna get a good showcase of this type of stuff with constant human interaction and commentary and planning from the players is when this comes out or some early bird version of it does. Also, if you want a developer commentary version the live stream version can be found here with Chris Roberts:

Multicrew demo at 2:30:00

What RSMV said. Also, have you seen any of The Divisions demonstration gameplay video's shown at conventiones, i.e E3. The level of cringe and sense of disconnect viewers feel when subjected to obviously fake dialogue and interplay between people does the exact opposite of what you are suggesting and ultimately turns people off of the product.

have you seen any of The Divisions demonstration gameplay video's shown at conventiones

I haven't. YouTube search returns unclear hits. Could you provide a link, please?

I do agree that scripted dialogue is a turn off, but that's not what I'm asking for either. I was looking for something like a "let's play" video, where a "guild" of players are first exposed to the content. No advance planning on what they're going to do (except maybe "ok, we're going over there. Let's see what happens"), just pure on-the-spot decision making and reactions. Unless that's exactly what those bad demos you're talking about did. Links, pls.

I haven't. YouTube search returns unclear hits. Could you provide a link, please?

I do agree that scripted dialogue is a turn off, but that's not what I'm asking for either. I was looking for something like a "let's play" video, where a "guild" of players are first exposed to the content. No advance planning on what they're going to do (except maybe "ok, we're going over there. Let's see what happens"), just pure on-the-spot decision making and reactions. Unless that's exactly what those bad demos you're talking about did. Links, pls.

Like RSMV said, you can get developer commentary via the actual live stream where they actually amke this run twice. I agree that it will be nice to see how people react when this falls into their hands.

Back