Team9000 Minecraft (Community Reboot)

As I said earlier, at the very least if there's some way to turn off difficulty increase due to chunk activity, that would be nice. That just makes it frustrating.
Even Bukkit doesn't have access to that, I'm pretty sure. Dynmap does, but I think it reads the chunks manually.

Yeah the chunk thing applies even in peaceful, though it has no effect until you increase the difficulty. That's often why mob spawners in highly populated areas are more effective than those in single player.

almost no one who made it to the tower of Ozy or the town portals is willing to help (myself included) because who the hell wants to go through that shit again?.

I actually wouldn't mind helping, but... apparently we aren't supposed to help, and the only way we can actually help can just be done by the new players themselves in the admin village. Not really sure why we can't help on the way... I mean, if the newbie obviously ain't being pesky or killing me on the trip, then why not encourage them to play more with us? Obviously, though, we shouldn't baby them completely and give them anything more than food and advice.

chunk activity increasing the difficulty is mainly the problem with new players, but it seems like its something hardwired into the server setup. But, if it can be altered, i think having it disabled around spawn is good enough. Maybe also have it gradually increase in effect towards the OxyTower (but never reaching the full effect) just to give them a taste before actually venturing into the wilds.

I actually wouldn't mind helping, but... apparently we aren't supposed to help, and the only way we can actually help can just be done by the new players themselves in the admin village. Not really sure why we can't help on the way... I mean, if the newbie obviously ain't being pesky or killing me on the trip, then why not encourage them to play more with us? Obviously, though, we shouldn't baby them completely and give them anything more than food and advice.

chunk activity increasing the difficulty is mainly the problem with new players, but it seems like its something hardwired into the server setup. But, if it can be altered, i think having it disabled around spawn is good enough. Maybe also have it gradually increase in effect towards the OxyTower (but never reaching the full effect) just to give them a taste before actually venturing into the wilds.
Helping isn't against the rules. Repeatedly using the button for golden apples and building a path there is.

There is no rule against helping. The only rule about helping is building a path to the tower.

Jerzey built an inn where new players can get a sword and food. I protected the build (not the chests or farms) to protect against grief. I personally encourage helping new players :/

Ah, I see, I remember being told otherwise by a well-known member, so I guess he was misinformed. I know MetroidJunkie was there as well when it was told, so I think he'd be happy to hear this too.

If I weren't an admin, I'd be doing it myself. I've often taken a few noobs to the inn to help them get started.

Someone needs to reform the Diamond Knights.

First order of business: I set the Hinterlands, Nether, and End difficulties to normal. Secondly: Towny - thoughts?

Edit: It was also suggested that we have LWC for the whole world

There is no rule against helping. The only rule about helping is building a path to the tower.

Jerzey built an inn where new players can get a sword and food. I protected the build (not the chests or farms) to protect against grief. I personally encourage helping new players :/

I was under the impression that helping was against the rules too. Guess I was wrong.

personally mixed feelings about normal mode, I like how hard it is, but i also dislike how my house pretty much needs 10000 torches to stop spawns, and they are still spawning anyway at light level 9. Also understand how it's driving potentially cool new T9k'ers away.

Reducing difficulty is fine, but I prefer not to have the option to add player-authorized protections on top of that.

I'm personally for leaving the game on hard all around, but somehow disabling the increasing difficulty bit.

If Towny becomes a thing, you will never see my fluffy ass on the server ever again.

We've already established the protection thing.

If people don't want to be in SB or NB, I don't see why they can't just get a group of friends and build a pseudo-town with its own unique 'whitelist' thing in the Hinterlands or hell, even the nether. I don't see why we need to stray further from vanilla to lure in new people. Yes, people like modded Minecraft, but when people think of modded minecraft nowadays, they think of FTB, Crackpack, Tekkit, B-Team, etc. Plus, the more mods we have, the longer we have to wait to update the server, which if I recall correctly, was one of the things that irked people to death on the original T9K servers.

I'm personally for leaving the game on hard all around, but somehow disabling the increasing difficulty bit.

If Towny becomes a thing, you will never see my fluffy ass on the server ever again.

We've already established the protection thing.

If people don't want to be in SB or NB, I don't see why they can't just get a group of friends and build a pseudo-town with its own unique 'whitelist' thing in the Hinterlands or hell, even the nether. I don't see why we need to stray further from vanilla to lure in new people. Yes, people like modded Minecraft, but when people think of modded minecraft nowadays, they think of FTB, Crackpack, Tekkit, B-Team, etc. Plus, the more mods we have, the longer we have to wait to update the server, which if I recall correctly, was one of the things that irked people to death on the original T9K servers.

I concur. The only thing I hated about hard difficulty, or any difficulty are fucking creepers. Their blast radius is horrendous and earth shattering. Skeletons, Zombies, etc. I could deal with that shit, even dying. Having creepers blow me the fuck up from 5 blocks was a headache.

Also I think hard is when all the mobs drop good enchanted gear.

Even on Normal, nooblets will have a hard time because no gear. The beginning journey is a bit much. Maybe halve the distance, and leave it on hard.

On the other hand, lower difficulty will encourage exploration.

Can never win.

Back