The LGBT Thread

I wish to clear something up here, I am all for homosexual rights. I am not a homosexual or bisexual.

Maybe we should discuss the popular topic: Gene or choice? (Please don't take this the wrong way)

Why does it have to be either? Is a preference for one sex over another any different, practically, than a preference for blondes over brunettes, blue eyes over brown eyes, or even mint choc chip over vanilla?

The "it's a choice" people confuse me generally. Are they saying that they have the choice over who and what they find sexually, physically and emotionally attractive or appealing? Are they saying that it's possible to tell yourself, "I've always found blue eyes to be incredibly attractive, but from now on I'm going to find them repulsive and be turned on by dark eyes instead"?

Or are they simply saying that they themselves are attracted to the same sex but have made a choice to suppress that attraction and not act upon it?

<insert intelligent response here>

I am straight, but since my girlfriend is bisexual I get quite involved and know a lot of people who are gay or bi. I work in theatre so also see a lot that way, at some point I will have time to respond properly :)

Why did this discussion move to a religious debate earlier? Not to revive that, but I'd like to point out some things. All the points you made referred to parts of the Old Testament - a grounding and history to some (not all) of the beliefs in Christianity. Jesus himself broke plenty of Jewish traditions and laws founded in this testament and angered Jewish officials by doing so. The New Testament is what Christians should be following and as such the most important writings of the Bible for Christians are the Beatitudes which were given by Jesus himself. So if you have points to make about Christianity, please keep it to the New Testament.

Also, note that the Beatitudes have no objection to the rights that people in this thread are looking for. Unfortunately educational institutions fail in teaching many people this, or they simply have never learned religion and ethics properly. This has grown a misinformed population who's opinions will be hard to sway regardless of arguments you may pose to them. I feel that if more people actually studied religions and beliefs they would become more widely aware of the society around them and perhaps one day we will see a shift to allow LGBT marriage or unions. However at the moment I cannot see it happening.

http://odyb.net/food-cooking/facts-everyone-should-know-about-drinking-water

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1495908.stm

Oh yes... plenty of things messes up oestrogen levels in everyone.

Does this give people reason to gay bash? Not really, gay bashing is still first amendment unless its violent. But if they did realize that the gay people are merely victims of bad water, they should really refocus their energy to the water company.

Sorry bro, but estrogen does not make a male gay. That's like saying an aromatase inhibitor or a SERM (Mainly drugs originally used to treat breast cancer) could make a gay man straight. No offense but that is quite a stupid thing to say, lol.

Gynocomastia and water retention would be your main issues, ahaha.

But anyway, this issue is just made way, way to big. I've never had a problem with peoples ass preference. But seriously, never been an issue, never will. The unaware masses just need to come to realise not to fear change, or what they don't understand.

I'm not gay, and from what i know none of my close mates are but the amount of times we have had some hectic bert stares thrown our way because we literally don't care what people think, and because we are so comfortable with our sexuality that we just openly say/do what ever comes to mind.. Be it for the lols or because we are having a genuine conversation.

Need an IRL emote that is just a huge smiley :D face that says GTFO, imo.

"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill"-Matthew 5:17, Jesus

Basically what this says is that the Old Testament is just as important in our lives and by dying on the cross he came and fulfilled his promises to Abraham and his descendants (Israel). So saying the New Testament is the most important writings is wrong. The whole Bible is all equal and none is to be removed or ignored.

Indeed. For example:

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV)

"It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)

"Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God." (2 Peter 20-21 NAB)

“Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law" (John7:19)

“For the law was given by Moses,..." (John 1:17).

“...the scripture cannot be broken.” --Jesus Christ, John 10:35

Interesting....there is a petition that has been launched to change the dictionary definition of marriage to be more inclusive of homosexuality.

Link to article

Thoughts?

Change the definition to something that isn't widely accepted or completely legal (yet). That sounds smart. (Keep in mind this isn't directly focused on just homosexuals) Why does everyone feel like they have a right to everything? Why does everyone believe they are entitled to everything? Why does everything have to be fair?

Indeed. For example:

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV)

"It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)

"Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God." (2 Peter 20-21 NAB)

“Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law" (John7:19)

“For the law was given by Moses,..." (John 1:17).

“...the scripture cannot be broken.” --Jesus Christ, John 10:35

You appear to be very selective in your scripture choices. You even go as far as to only select parts of one verse to share. You do realize that doing this can and will change the meaning of what you're reading, if not read in context. This irritates me.

I wish to clear something up here, I am all for homosexual rights. I am not a homosexual or bisexual.

Maybe we should discuss the popular topic: Gene or choice? (Please don't take this the wrong way)
Not necessarily gene, but certainly born with it. Some are LGBT by choice, but the vast majority aren't.

Explain to me how people are "born with it."
First off, I'm going to assume you're heterosexual.

When you were growing up, did anyone make you attracted to girls? Anyone say, "Hey, you're going to like girls now?" Or did it just come naturally to you to be attracted to the opposite sex? Is it then so far a stretch to realize that, hey, maybe some people are naturally attracted to the same sex as themselves (or maybe even both sexes)?

It's a related concept for transsexuals as well. Near 100% of all transsexuals say that they felt like they were in the completely wrong body growing up. They felt/feel like a girl in a male body, or vice versa.

That. Exactly that. Only in my case I like dudes.
And much the same way, I feel equally attracted to both sexes.

First off, I'm going to assume you're heterosexual.

When you were growing up, did anyone make you attracted to girls? Anyone say, "Hey, you're going to like girls now?" Or did it just come naturally to you to be attracted to the opposite sex? Is it then so far a stretch to realize that, hey, maybe some people are naturally attracted to the same sex as themselves (or maybe even both sexes)?

It's a related concept for transsexuals as well. Near 100% of all transsexuals say that they felt like they were in the completely wrong body growing up. They felt/feel like a girl in a male body, or vice versa.
This. So much of this.

I am gonna throw this out there and confess that I might feel bisexual
It's like some times I don't feel any difference between guys and girls as in dating xP
Hope you guis don't look at me any differently :)

It's like some times I don't feel any difference between guys and girls as in dating xP

We don't judge. <3

Well, most people would call that bi-curious; and almost everyone goes through that whether they admit to it or not.

For the record, if people look at you differently; it's their problem, not yours.

I'm pretty sure i've developed a fear of gay guys ( honestly ),

I get hit on by gay guys so much that it makes me more and more anti-gay. (the latter anti-ness is exclusive to male gays, lesbians are great kissers.)

Short of making a girl give me head publicly every day, how do I make i solve this issue?

Back