The Official T9K Pokemon League

Ok so all 1type then? Im ok with that. Now just need to know how many people are comitting so I know whether to use time and money
Well, I'm banking we can get a lot of people into it, provided people actually share this thread with their other pokemon-loving friends.

Also, I think I'm going to be a challenger to start off, and then I may move to become a gym leader. I have some pokemon I'm wanting to breed and test their mettle, and then I may work on a specific group.

EDIT: Chiba, I know you said gym leaders get to choose their battle-style, but what about levels? Will everyone have a set level their 'mon will be moved to, or what?

(and you never replied to my post about mega-evos)

Also, I think I'm going to be a challenger to start off, and then I may move to become a gym leader. I have some pokemon I'm wanting to breed and test their mettle, and then I may work on a specific group.

EDIT: Chiba, I know you said gym leaders get to choose their battle-style, but what about levels? Will everyone have a set level their 'mon will be moved to, or what?

(and you never replied to my post about mega-evos)
Nope. Standard battle procedure. No reason to limit levels. Remember, the gym leader/elite 4 may end up constantly cycling around due to rank challenges, and whatnot. If we started switching gears on peoples' levels for the sake of authenticity, that might end up fucking with several of the leaders' heads, and making the league a giant clusterfuck of confusion.

As for the mega evos, we /could/ do that. The problem is the single-type clause would severely hinder the ability for multiple choices of some of the members if we do it like that. In the example you gave, this would prevent the Dragon user from using: M. Ampharos, M. Sceptile, M. Charizard X, plus anymore that turn into the dragon-type in OR/AS, which if there are no more Dragon M. Evos (Unlikely, but let's roll with it for now), leaves 3, and only one gets a type change. (Altaria) Granted, in theory, this can still be worked with, but it does really limit the choices the members have in an area where they already are pretty damn limited.

Nope. Standard battle procedure. No reason to limit levels. Remember, the gym leader/elite 4 may end up constantly cycling around due to rank challenges, and whatnot. If we started switching gears on peoples' levels for the sake of authenticity, that might end up fucking with several of the leaders' heads, and making the league a giant clusterfuck of confusion.

As for the mega evos, we /could/ do that. The problem is the single-type clause would severely hinder the ability for multiple choices of some of the members if we do it like that. In the example you gave, this would prevent the Dragon user from using: M. Ampharos, M. Sceptile, M. Charizard X, plus anymore that turn into the dragon-type in OR/AS, which if there are no more Dragon M. Evos (Unlikely, but let's roll with it for now), leaves 3, and only one gets a type change. (Altaria) Granted, in theory, this can still be worked with, but it does really limit the choices the members have in an area where they already are pretty damn limited.

I fail to see anyone using dragon-type Pokemon as being hindered/limited, unless facing off against someone with all ice/fairy types only.

There are so many different Pokemon for each type now with different skill-sets, I really don't think forcing someone who wishes to use a 'mon who mega-evos into their type-set to mega-evo as soon as it is put out to battle is fair. Not only is it giving away the player's intention (which can be an element of surpirse in a battle, and turn the tides), but if that player withdraws that 'mon before it faints, it cannot mega-evo again in battle. So, if I'm using M. Ampharos and I withdraw him, I am unable to send him back out, because he would not be able to mega-evo again into the dragon-type.

I propose as long as the pre-mega version of a 'mon falls within the single-type rule, the gym leader may use it, and mega-evo in battle, whether it changes the type or not.

If I'm part of the minority opinion on this issue, then I'll shut up. I don't want whiny drama like in other not-to-be-mentioned video game threads currently on the front page...

but if that player withdraws that 'mon before it faints, it cannot mega-evo again in battle. So, if I'm using M. Ampharos and I withdraw him, I am unable to send him back out, because he would not be able to mega-evo again into the dragon-type.
Because you bring up this valid point, I'm going to side with you on this one. If it can't re-mega and it's not of the type required then it would fall under the "wild card" section at that point.

And

I propose as long as the pre-mega version of a 'mon falls within the single-type rule, the gym leader may use it, and mega-evo in battle, whether it changes the type or not.

this would be the fair approach.

So, if I'm using M. Ampharos and I withdraw him, I am unable to send him back out, because he would not be able to mega-evo again into the dragon-type.
Except you're incorrect in this case. Once you Mega-evolve a Pokemon, it remains in that state of evolution, even if you switch it out. It stays that way until it either faints or the battle ends.

So it wouldn't be breaking any typing rules. You could switch M. Ampharos in and out at your leisure.

I side with Chiba in saying that limiting a person's choice in mega evolutions in a scenario where they're already limited in what they can pick isn't very fair to them.
There are going to be scenarios like what you've described(People knowing I'm going to be using M.Ampharos) regardless of what rule we end up using. Ice type's only mega is Abomasnow at this point. Does that mean I shouldn't use him just because my opponent's going to know that I will? No. If you have the potential to use a mega, I say use it. Go for broke.

Just because someone would be aware of the mega you're using, doesn't mean that they have the appropriate team to counter you. Just because you see the bear running towards you and start running the other way doesn't change the fact that THERE IS A BEAR CHASING YOU. You catch my drift here?

If you don't want to use M. Ampharos on a Dragon team because "It would ruin the surpise" then that's fine. That's your choice when you're building your team. But don't drag other people's options out from under their feet before they've gotten the chance to decide for themselves. Let them choose for themselves if they want to take that option, and take that risk. After all, megas and legendaries are an OPTIONAL portion of these battles. No point in limiting something a person may not even decide to use.

Tl;dr: Whether someone wants to use a certain mega on their team should be up to them, so long as it falls within their chosen type. Just saiyan.

See, here's something people seem to be forgetting: Everyone keeps bringing up how there should be an element of surprise. The problem is your Mega-Evo is registered as your Mega-Evo. You don't get options to change that up every battle without running it by me each and every single time. You get 1 and it stays as that pokemon. While yes, you could have a team that has several potential Mega-Evos to keep your opponent guessing, and yes, it does flow a bit better if the type matches matches from the start. I won't deny this, and has completely valid points. However, once again, it still limits options in an area where options are already limited from the start.

See, here's something people seem to be forgetting: Everyone keeps bringing up how there should be an element of surprise. The problem is your Mega-Evo is registered as your Mega-Evo. You don't get options to change that up every battle without running it by me each and every single time. You get 1 and it stays as that pokemon. While yes, you could have a team that has several potential Mega-Evos to keep your opponent guessing, and yes, it does flow a bit better if the type matches matches from the start. I won't deny this, and has completely valid points. However, once again, it still limits options in an area where options are already limited from the start.
Why should mega-evos be counted as separate pokemon? Shouldn't it be seen as a dynamic of that pokemon to begin with?

What difference does it make to the element of surprise if we tell you what our Mega Evos are?
5. Should you reveal any information to other challengers of the League members' teams, you WILL be forcefully removed from the challenge, and prohibited from ever entering the League again. Cheating is not tolerated.

What difference does it make to the element of surprise if we tell you what our Mega Evos are?
I'm the administrator. =.= There's a very good chance I'm not even participating in the entire League. As such, I'm the only person who will know what the teams are. The only way I'd be a part of the league is as a temporary fill-in should there be no one representing a type. Other than that, the information stays with me.
Why should mega-evos be counted as separate pokemon? Shouldn't it be seen as a dynamic of that pokemon to begin with?
Type differences, stat changes, ability changes. For some, the only thing they share in common with their pre-mega form is the name.

I'm the administrator. =.= There's a very good chance I'm not even participating in the entire League. As such, I'm the only person who will know what the teams are. The only way I'd be a part of the league is as a temporary fill-in should there be no one representing a type. Other than that, the information stays with me.

Type differences, stat changes, ability changes. For some, the only thing they share in common with their pre-mega form is the name.
That's my point EXACTLY. So why would you have any reason to prevent people from type-matching their mega by its pre-mega evo? Since the CHALLENGER will not know which Pokemon will be mega'd, the element of surprise remains....unless you continue with this dribble that the pre-mega doesn't need to type-match but the mega does; which, of course, reveals the strategy from the start, thus giving the challenger a strategic advantage. This is regardless of any luck or chance involved, this is purely situational strategy, and anyone who's played competitively knows that on-the-fly strategy is a major component, if not the single most important. So why would you tip the scales so dramatically towards the challengers, when they've already got the key advantage of not being type-limited?

That's my point EXACTLY. So why would you have any reason to prevent people from type-matching their mega by its pre-mega evo? Since the CHALLENGER will not know which Pokemon will be mega'd, the element of surprise remains....unless you continue with this dribble that the pre-mega doesn't need to type-match but the mega does; which, of course, reveals the strategy from the start, thus giving the challenger a strategic advantage. This is regardless of any luck or chance involved, this is purely situational strategy, and anyone who's played competitively knows that on-the-fly strategy is a major component, if not the single most important. So why would you tip the scales so dramatically towards the challengers, when they've already got the key advantage of not being type-limited?
You bring up a very valid point. My thoughts on the matter is simply: "You can if you want, but you don't necessarily have to." I'm going to leave it in the hands of those who wish to be members how they go about their Mega Evo, IF they even decide to have one.

You bring up a very valid point. My thoughts on the matter is simply: "You can if you want, but you don't necessarily have to." I'm going to leave it in the hands of those who wish to be members how they go about their Mega Evo, IF they even decide to have one.
Now there's a reasonable, meet-in-the-middle approach :D

...... /blink - Really? Really? /facepalm - How on Earth did you people actually think I meant that they couldn't be of the same type? Putting it into common english: "The pre-Mega Evo Pokemon doesn't have to abide by the Single Type Clause, but its Mega Evo does."

=_____= There is a difference between 'does not' and 'cannot'.

Let's say someone has the flying type. Thus means that they can't mega into mega charizard x because of that rule. Or, it limits someone who wants mega charizard x to either fire or dragon types for the rest of their team.

Let's say someone has the flying type. Thus means that they can't mega into mega charizard x because of that rule. Or, it limits someone who wants mega charizard x to either fire or dragon types for the rest of their team.
That's the general idea, yes. Then again, should you really want Mega Charizard X on your team, you'd be aiming for either Fire or Dragon in the first place. This is why I unveiled this so soon with OR/AS being a few months away, still. I want to give people time to plan a team they can be happy with.

Back