The Weird Knowledge Thread!

Here are todays few:
Thomas Edison, lightbulb inventor, was afraid of the dark!
It was once against the law to slam your car door in a city in Switzerland!
The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is "uncopyrightable"!
A man named Charles Osborne had the hiccups for 69 years! Wow!
Bats always turn left when exiting a cave!
Tourists visiting Iceland should know that tipping at a restaurant is considered an insult!
Ernest Vincent Wright wrote a novel, "Gadsby", which contains over 50,000 words -- none of them with the letter E!
If you counted 24 hours a day, it would take 31,688 years to reach one trillion!
It takes glass one million years to decompose, which means it never wears out and can be recycled an infinite amount of times!

If you counted 24 hours a day, it would take 31,688 years to reach one trillion!
The raw clock speed of a human brain has been estimated to be around 20 petahertz, which means that if it were possible to focus every neuron and related connection on the task, counting to one trillion would take about 0.05 nanoseconds. Although to dump that much processing power into it, there'd be no room for conscious thought, so you might not even know if you'd actually counted to one trillion or not.

The raw clock speed of a human brain has been estimated to be around 20 petahertz, which means that if it were possible to focus every neuron and related connection on the task, counting to one trillion would take about 0.05 nanoseconds. Although to dump that much processing power into it, there'd be no room for conscious thought, so you might not even know if you'd actually counted to one trillion or not.
I think the estimate is based on how fast the average person can pronounce words. And considering it takes a fair bit of time to say "....seven hundred seventy seven billion seven hundred seventy seven million seven hundred seventy seven thousand seven hundred seventy seven; "Seven hundred seventy seven billion seven hundred seventy seven million seven hundred seventy seven thousand seven hundred seventy eight; seven...." I'm going to guess that the estimate is pretty close.

Also if you could actually focus the entirety of your brain power on one task, you'd die because you'd have no way to restart the other necessary functions of life. Like breathing. Or pumping blood. Or digesting food.

You'd also collapse from all your muscles simultaneously relaxing. And you'd probably shit yourself.

Just saying.

Well, we'd have to assume it's still keeping track of other processes, just at a much lower priority, and would restore them to normal priority when the counting was finished. After all, having too many tabs open in Firefox might bog down your typing for a minute or two, but it won't wipe your operating system. So if completely relaxing for 0.05 nanoseconds makes you shit yourself, face it, you were gonna shit yourself anyway. :P

(And yes, I too am sure that the estimate was based on the physical limitations of human speech and not of human thought. It's still a fun idea.)

Well, we'd have to assume it's still keeping track of other processes, just at a much lower priority, and would restore them to normal priority when the counting was finished. After all, having too many tabs open in Firefox might bog down your typing for a minute or two, but it won't wipe your operating system. So if completely relaxing for 0.05 nanoseconds makes you shit yourself, face it, you were gonna shit yourself anyway. :P
When you say dedicate full power, that means no background operations in "standby". So in order to continue to survive, it would probably take slightly longer, say 0.09 ns.

Fair point. Though some creatures continue to "live" for a while without a head/brain, like certain ant species. The question then becomes whether or not the brain can be rebooted by the feedback stimuli and reestablish control, and after what length of time such is no longer possible. So... who here can sew really f*cking fast? :D

Back on topic: The surface area of the average brick is 79 square centimeters.

Fair point. Though some creatures continue to "live" for a while without a head/brain, like certain ant species. The question then becomes whether or not the brain can be rebooted by the feedback stimuli and reestablish control, and after what length of time such is no longer possible. So... who here can sew really f*cking fast? :D

I wasn't aware we ever left the topic. Debating the possibilities of brain processing seems pretty weird and knowledgeable to me :doy:

I wasn't aware we ever left the topic. Debating the possibilities of brain processing seems pretty weird and knowledgeable to me :doy:
Whoever wins this battle is clearly superior, and will earn the allegiance of the Fact Taco.

Note: The below facts aren't actually facts.

The Fact Taco is the most intelligent taco.
The Fact Taco is the most handsome taco.

While the submarine is vastly superior to the boat in every way, over 97% of people still use boats for aquatic transportation.
In Greek myth, the craftsman Daedalus invented human flight so a group of minotaurs would stop teasing him about it.
Humans can survive underwater, but not for very long.
Polymerase I polypeptide A is a human gene.

Warning: Taco corruption at twenty-r-rr-r-rats cannot throw up.

The Fact Taco is always right.

facttaco.png

Back