Universe Discussion Thread

If NASA got the budget that our military gets, we'd probably have a colony on Mars, a vessel capable of reaching those galaxies millions of light years away, and would currently be planning our mission to Kepler 22-b.

Instead, we're finding new ways to kill each other.

I think we'd probably just have a dozen more probes on Mars. Maybe a small colony.

I dunno, I'd say Xraptor's pretty spot on.

The US spends a shit-ton on defence. That's not necessarily a bad thing, because Americans like fighting people. We can let them sort out our wars. XD
But if they spent just a little bit less on defence, they could get some serious shit done.

Like a strip club on Alpha Centauri.
That would be hot.
(SeewhatIdidthere)

I don't know, would we really have warp travel by then? Because that is the only possible way for us to travel that far, because we can't actually travel that fast even if we wanted to.

I don't know, would we really have warp travel by then? Because that is the only possible way for us to travel that far, because we can't actually travel that fast even if we wanted to.
You think too small! You gotta think bigger!
More radical! 88 mph radical!

On second thought, applying the military's mass producing proven technology while investing in newer technology (and assuming NASA uses that approach), we'd be mining asteroids by now. Also we'd have an arsenal of weapons even deadlier than nukes: giant fucking rocks.

Do you really think anybody would be stupid enough to use a rocket-propelled asteroid as a weapon for earth-based wars? That's just overkill...

Do you really think anybody would be stupid enough to use a rocket-propelled asteroid as a weapon for earth-based wars? That's just overkill...
"HAY GUYZ, let's use that as the base concept for Black Ops 3! Herpaderp"
rocket_asteroid.png

I'd hate to think that we would even try using space rocks as weapons. That's just asking for an apocalypse. If we're going to use new weapons, let's try something a little more, um... hilarious?
rpc_rocket_propelled_chainsaw.jpg

Alpha Centauri has a planet, and gravity has a speed (I love making n-body simulations, but I have never been able to factor that in. It sounds like it would be rather chaotic.).

Centauri is the plural form of the word "Centaurus" in Latin. It means centaurs. And doesn't omega mean end?

EDIT: Oh, no. "Omega Centauri" possibly means "End of the Centaurs". Centauri also could be the singular genitive form in Latin. (You may not want to believe me though, I'm only a beginning student). Is that Alpha Centauri, or Omega Centauri?

Centauri is the plural form of the word "Centaurus" in Latin. It means centaurs. And doesn't omega mean end?

EDIT: Oh, no. "Omega Centauri" possibly means "End of the Centaurs". Centauri also could be the singular genitive form in Latin. (You may not want to believe me though, I'm only a beginning student). Is that Alpha Centauri, or Omega Centauri?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Centauri

I think it's just a naming convention by using a letter which is a part of the Greek alphabet, though it is the last.

Centauri indeed is the singular genitive. Omega can mean "last" too, so that would be "(The) last of the centaurs". Alpha is the first character of the Greek alphabet, so that would be "First of the centaurs".

Actually, astronomy is my favorite subjects in science. It really, REALLY sparks my interest.

(P.S this is the first discussion about the universe i EVER saw without ANY arguments about religion.... i am content)

Back