Universe Discussion Thread

This seemed pretty cool.
IC1396_animation2.gif

I love space

V838_Monocerotis_expansion.jpg

Timelapse: http://heritage.stsci.edu/2005/02/images/v0502al.mov

What you are seeing is a light echo from Star V838 Monocerotis.

V838 Monocerotis, the star at the center emitted a pulse of light, like a camera flash. What Hubble is seeing is how that pulse of light is illuminating the dust that surrounds the star as it travels outwards from the star. Traveling literally at the speed of light.

explanation by Protuhj.

Warp travel isn't even a thing. But yes, we would definitely be progressing considerably faster in terms of space exploration and capabilities.

How is when it was posted even relevant?

Totally getting a solar filter for my telescope soon, will hopefully be able to observe something similar when the time comes.

Nah I was expanding on it.

I'm fully aware of what warp implies. It will never be possible unless we can defy the laws of physics.

Wrong.

Don't even get me started on the possibility of warp drives existing. Being able to move the equivalent of 2c-50c without even moving is an amazing concept, and more than possible, just very new. Everything starts somewhere. Look at quantum entanglement. How possible does that sound. Oh wait, they grew and verified a QSL a few months back, so it's quite possible, just new, and no one knows the possibilities these new concepts, ideas, and eventualities impose on the future of the human race.

You can chew on this article for a while, and I am sure you will have something to add.

On a side note, I am going to mars in less than ten years, already decided :p

www.mars-one.com

I have no idea where else I would post this so I'll just post this here cause I wanna share it.

A CNN cameraman was reported to record the reactions of the vip section of the stands for the Challenger launch (which included the parents of the astronauts, the children from the school of Christa McAuliffe). A view of the disaster I really haven't seen before. It's very confusing of cameras just staring up at the sky as burning wreckage falls to the earth and screams from beyond the camera are usually heard but seems more real from watching the people who had just lost loved ones.

if it seems confusing my best guess is the Challenger exploded at around 0:31.

Wrong.

Don't even get me started on the possibility of warp drives existing. Being able to move the equivalent of 2c-50c without even moving is an amazing concept, and more than possible, just very new. Everything starts somewhere. Look at quantum entanglement. How possible does that sound. Oh wait, they grew and verified a QSL a few months back, so it's quite possible, just new, and no one knows the possibilities these new concepts, ideas, and eventualities impose on the future of the human race.

You can chew on this article for a while, and I am sure you will have something to add.

On a side note, I am going to mars in less than ten years, already decided :p

www.mars-one.com

Brb, reading an article and becoming an expert.

Brb, reading an article and becoming an expert.

I like how you assume all I know is this one article. The point of that article was to prove my point. I'm sure I can find several other articles, but unfortunately I can't link textbooks, Science programs, and discussions with teachers, professors, and professionals that have spent their lives on astrophysics, astronomy, theoretical physics, etc.

Unlike you, I try to leave an explanation as to what I have to say, instead of saying things and not explaining them. I came off a bit rough in that post, and I apologize, but I have been doing nothing at work BUT talking about and researching this stuff for the last week, just to show and explain to others what I have been interested in since my early childhood, so I was a bit passionate when I read your replies and didn't see anything to explain why it was impossible other than you just saying it is impossible.

I love space

V838_Monocerotis_expansion.jpg

Timelapse: http://heritage.stsci.edu/2005/02/images/v0502al.mov

What you are seeing is a light echo from Star V838 Monocerotis.

V838 Monocerotis, the star at the center emitted a pulse of light, like a camera flash. What Hubble is seeing is how that pulse of light is illuminating the dust that surrounds the star as it travels outwards from the star. Traveling literally at the speed of light.

explanation by Protuhj.
Dat post...

http://soundcloud.com/betarepeating/portal-2-the-adventure-core
^Link says adventure core, is actually space core^

Andromeda Galaxy, the closest galaxy to us only 2.5 million light years away. In comparison, it spans 260,000 light years across.
AndromedaGalex_2048.jpg

Back