Universe Discussion Thread

Venus transit over the sun
Wow.
7168449807_3585b4f441_h.jpg
That's a very nice picture of an orange you have there.

I don't know, would we really have warp travel by then? Because that is the only possible way for us to travel that far, because we can't actually travel that fast even if we wanted to.

Warp travel isn't even a thing. But yes, we would definitely be progressing considerably faster in terms of space exploration and capabilities.

That was 7 months ago...

How is when it was posted even relevant?
Venus transit over the sun
Wow.
7168449807_3585b4f441_h.jpg

Totally getting a solar filter for my telescope soon, will hopefully be able to observe something similar when the time comes.

Warp travel isn't even a thing. But yes, we would definitely be progressing considerably faster in terms of space exploration and capabilities.
Of course it isn't, now.

We don't know whether or not we could do it in the future, though. We basically could not go outside of the solar system because we would either be going too slow, OR, we would be going too fast. Say we're actually able to go almost near the speed of light. Any particles or small rocks we would fly into going that speed would rip the spacecraft apart.

Even if that were not a problem, light speed is actually even too slow, itself. Just to get to Alpha Centauri it would take us over 4 years.

Of course it isn't, now.

We don't know whether or not we could do it in the future, though. We basically could not go outside of the solar system because we would either be going too slow, OR, we would be going too fast. Say we're actually able to go almost near the speed of light. Any particles or small rocks we would fly into going that speed would rip the spacecraft apart.

Even if that were not a problem, light speed is actually even too slow, itself. Just to get to Alpha Centauri it would take us over 4 years.

Fundamental physics would have to be basically completely wrong for warp travel to ever exist. The closer to the speed of light you travel the greater your mass becomes which in turn requires an ever increasing, supposedly unending amount of energy to achieve. Surpassing the speed of light would bring the world of physics to it's knees, essentially the only other option would be inter-dimensional travel, which also isn't even a plausible thing. All this sci-fi lark is nothing more than fiction and as it stands will never become reality.

Fundamental physics would have to be basically completely wrong for warp travel to ever exist. The closer to the speed of light you travel the greater your mass becomes which in turn requires an ever increasing, supposedly unending amount of energy to achieve. Surpassing the speed of light would bring the world of physics to it's knees, essentially the only other option would be inter-dimensional travel, which also isn't even a plausible thing. All this sci-fi lark is nothing more than fiction and as it stands will never become reality.

Isn't warp drive essentially the bending and pulling of space and one does not actually travel faster than the speed of light in that regard?

Isn't warp drive essentially the bending and pulling of space and one does not actually travel faster than the speed of light in that regard?

I was referring to surpassing the speed of light, since warp is so impossible that it didn't require a response lol.

...So you agree with me that actually going the speed of light doesn't work in pretty much every way? You act like I was trying to say it would.

Also, warp does not mean actually going faster than light. That is the entire point of it, I'm saying that it isn't possible to go faster than light, that's why we would need some kind of warp.

...So you agree with me that actually going the speed of light doesn't work in pretty much every way? You act like I was trying to say it would.

Also, warp does not mean actually going faster than light. That is the entire point of it, I'm saying that it isn't possible to go faster than light, that's why we would need some kind of warp.

Nah I was expanding on it.

I'm fully aware of what warp implies. It will never be possible unless we can defy the laws of physics.

I was referring to surpassing the speed of light, since warp is so impossible that it didn't require a response lol.
Nah I was expanding on it.

I'm fully aware of what warp implies. It will never be possible unless we can defy the laws of physics.
We don't even have the technology to figure out if we can or can't.

And it certainly is way more possible than actually traveling the speed of light, which is what my original post was towards, people talking about going to other solar systems and such.

We don't even have the technology to figure out if we can or can't.

And it certainly is way more possible than actually traveling the speed of light, which is what my original post was towards, people talking about going to other solar systems and such.

Technology is irrelevant if what you are speaking of defies the fundamental laws of physics. Massive celestial bodies can and bend funnel spacetime, but you can't fold it at will haha. Supported by the fact that supermassive black holes with >18 billion solar masses and infinite gravity don't even begin to come close to having such an affect.

Technology is irrelevant if what you are speaking of defies the fundamental laws of physics. Massive celestial bodies can and bend funnel spacetime, but you can't fold it at will haha. Supported by the fact that supermassive black holes with >18 billion solar masses and infinite gravity don't even begin to come close to what would be required.
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/09/warp-drive-plausible/

Like I was saying.

The point is not to go faster than EMR. The point is to reduce the distance you need to travel, by twisting localized space. Which had neither been proven possible nor impossible at the time of this post.

Back