Universe Discussion Thread

Andromeda Galaxy, the closest galaxy to us only 2.5 million light years away. In comparison, it spans 260,000 light years across.
AndromedaGalex_2048.jpg

Ya know whats a cool thing to imagine. Some time, in somebodys lifetime on earth. They are going to look up into the sky and see
Andromeda Galaxy, the closest galaxy to us only 2.5 million light years away. In comparison, it spans 260,000 light years across.
AndromedaGalex_2048.jpg
in the sky. Not stars but a fucking galaxy, and they will see it all of their life every night and it's coming right at them.

I love that humanity is playing a game with time limits. Get off Earth before depleting all resources. Get out of solar system before sun expands. Get out of galaxy before Andromeda hits.

EDIT: Not entirely sure what comes after this. Get out of universe before Big Rip? I am probably missing a whole bunch of cosmic events in here. XD

I love that humanity is playing a game with time limits. Get off Earth before depleting all resources. Get out of solar system before sun expands. Get out of galaxy before Andromeda hits.

EDIT: Not entirely sure what comes after this. Get out of universe before Big Rip? I am probably missing a whole bunch of cosmic events in here. XD

More than likely people are trying to find things that are not there like Planet X or Nibiru. Then start an internet poopstorm.

I try to stay up to date with anything of substance/importance so here is a convenient and pretty astonishing link for you:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...ight-a-catastrophic-bubble-could-end-universe

The andromeda galaxy colliding with ours will be no problem, there is enough "empty space" between suns and planets and stuff for it to fit in. Most people imagine our solar system like this:
zonstel1.gif

In reality, it is like this.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...temUnmarked.png/799px-SolarSystemUnmarked.png
The terrestial planets are enlarged 10x, and note how they use a logarithmic scale.

There is so much space for activities :)

The andromeda galaxy colliding with ours will be no problem, there is enough "empty space" between suns and planets and stuff for it to fit in. Most people imagine our solar system like this:
zonstel1.gif

In reality, it is like this.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...temUnmarked.png/799px-SolarSystemUnmarked.png
The terrestial planets are enlarged 10x, and note how they use a logarithmic scale.

There is so much space for activities :)
I don't think most people imagine the solar system like that. Their idea of the size of planets as compared to the sun might be skewed, but not so much the distance between planets. At least not to THAT degree.

As for activities, (icwatudidthere, btw) there is indeed plenty of space. However, I am standing on a spinning top circling around a much larger top that is surrounded by other tops forming the mother top. Oh, and a similar set of tops is about to meld with ours.

While not terrribly many 'tops' may end up colliding, I don't like the idea of becoming unbalanced. :laugh:

I don't think most people imagine the solar system like that. Their idea of the size of planets as compared to the sun might be skewed, but not so much the distance between planets. At least not to THAT degree.

As for activities, (icwatudidthere, btw) there is indeed plenty of space. However, I am standing on a spinning top circling around a much larger top that is surrounded by other tops forming the mother top. Oh, and a similar set of tops is about to meld with ours.

While not terrribly many 'tops' may end up colliding, I don't like the idea of becoming unbalanced. :laugh:
It's more likely that gravity will just knock them off their orbits. It's actually quite hard to get collisions from a bunch of stars. At least that's what happens in my n-body simulators.

It's more likely that gravity will just knock them off their orbits. It's actually quite hard to get collisions from a bunch of stars. At least that's what happens in my n-body simulators.
My top analogy must not be clear, because that is exactly what I was getting at...

What's cooler than a binary system? A sextuple system. Meet Castor (images from the freeware, cross-platform program Celestia):
Screen Shot 2013-04-20 at 9.33.22 AM.png

The stars close up, from left to right:
Screen Shot 2013-04-20 at 9.34.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-04-20 at 9.35.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-04-20 at 9.35.23 AM.png

Back