What is the purpose in life?

Again, just a reminder, I'm replying to these quotes out of context because I forget what we were discussing about earlier. Feel free to refresh me on the matter if it appears I misunderstand you on multiple occasions.

The Theory of Evolution and Atheism are two very different things.

I can believe in the Theory of Evolution and not be an Atheist. Hence, an Atheist may not believe in the Theory of Evolution.

Once again, I think you are under the misconception that concepts of science such as the Theory of Evolution disprove God. They don't. Simple as that. In fact, I think they support God's existence.
Think about the Theory of Evolution in a less literal sense. Many allegories can be drawn from the Theory of Evolution, other concepts of science, and, let's say, Genesis.

Now, I'm only dealing with these concepts in a very simplified sense; that being said, I've got my Bible out here in front of me, and I'm reading it so I can get the facts straight.

I'm purposely being vague here. But the fact of the matter is that science and God are closer than we think. This is all just a concept - take it with a pinch of salt. I used the word 'perhaps' a lot, because it's ultimately up to the individual to choose what they believe.
Yes they are (although they are usually both believed by the same individual).

Also true.

I wouldn't necessarily say they "disprove" God, but they definitely lead that direction. Let's look at the theory of evolution. Evolution (macro evolution, that is; I believe micro evolution happens all the time) is a theoretical process that supposedly could go on for billions of years without any outside assistance from a divine being such as God. This is where the theory leads most individuals in believing in a "genesis" that also doesn't involve God, because, according to the theory, it wouldn't need one.

I'll look at those examples eventually.

Science and God are "close", but we should never, as Christians, put science above God. I agree that it is up to the individual as to what they want to believe, although I don't believe that the existence of God can be subjective to one's beliefs, otherwise He'd just be a figment of people's imaginations.

May I just say that I’m a Catholic. Sure, not a practising one, but a Catholic, and a Christian nonetheless. I try and keep an open mind as much as possible. I can’t explain away everything in my world, and many others cannot either. I know people of many different denominations, and of many different beliefs. There are some universal truths that are applicable to both faith of all descriptions and to people who don’t believe in any one faith. It can be universally said that the virtues of kindness, generosity and humility are all good. Ask a Buddhist, a Muslim and a Lutheran if they think that honesty is a virtue, and they will all say ‘yes’. Ask an Atheist, a Jew and an Agnostic if they believe that grace is something that we should all aspire to, and they will all say ‘yes’.
Sure, their answers may be different, but they all ultimately mean the same thing.
Back to the point.
Not believing in God, or another inexplicable presence in our lives could be considered a hindrance. It could also be argued that believing in a being which doesn’t directly manifest itself in our day-to-day lives could be a hindrance. Both points are easily debateable, and are sore topics for both sides. It’s not to me to pass judgement.

Not to me, no. Personally, I believe in some force which I can’t explain which governs my life. Sure science can explain many things, but all of these things must have stemmed from somewhere. And God seems to be the perfect explanation for that. There doesn’t need to be any other rationalization. And in terms of accountability – I can see how others have issues with understanding God. It’s not an easily graspable concept, in many ways. People like to have power over their own lives, which is fine. I think that way too. Difference being, I believe my right to govern my own live is a gift from God. That’s what sets apart Christians from Atheists, in my opinion.

If I lived in a universe where there was no God, or ethereal force that controlled my life, then I probably wouldn’t care. I wouldn’t be concerned with it. But if I had the choice, I’d probably say that I’d prefer to live in a universe where God does exist. God inspires many with hope and confidence, and supplies a reason to why many things are the way they are. His people do great work in this world. Never mind that in the past, God’s followers have done bad things, such as the Crusades, or the Spanish Inquisition. It is human nature to sin. However, through the gift of discernment bestowed upon us by God, we are able to identify sin in our lives. God has also given us the ability to atone for our sins. If we didn’t have that, then our lives would be much more complicated, to say the least.

That’s just my opinions. Feel free to keep going; I’m perfectly happy to continue.
I had an entire response typed out to this but my original reply was so long (combined with your similarly lengthy quote, lol) that the text was deleted when I went to preview it.

Facepalm.png

EDIT: Terribly sorry for the quadruple post.

Well, I found out that some of the reply got hidden in a quote of yours somehow. The rest was unfortunately deleted, so only this has been replied to out of your last quote:

May I just say that I’m a Catholic. Sure, not a practising one, but a Catholic, and a Christian nonetheless. I try and keep an open mind as much as possible. I can’t explain away everything in my world, and many others cannot either. I know people of many different denominations, and of many different beliefs. There are some universal truths that are applicable to both faith of all descriptions and to people who don’t believe in any one faith. It can be universally said that the virtues of kindness, generosity and humility are all good. Ask a Buddhist, a Muslim and a Lutheran if they think that honesty is a virtue, and they will all say ‘yes’. Ask an Atheist, a Jew and an Agnostic if they believe that grace is something that we should all aspire to, and they will all say ‘yes’.
Sure, their answers may be different, but they all ultimately mean the same thing.
Back to the point.
Not believing in God, or another inexplicable presence in our lives could be considered a hindrance. It could also be argued that believing in a being which doesn’t directly manifest itself in our day-to-day lives could be a hindrance. Both points are easily debateable, and are sore topics for both sides. It’s not to me to pass judgement.

Not to me, no. Personally, I believe in some force which I can’t explain which governs my life. Sure science can explain many things, but all of these things must have stemmed from somewhere. And God seems to be the perfect explanation for that. There doesn’t need to be any other rationalization. And in terms of accountability – I can see how others have issues with understanding God. It’s not an easily graspable concept, in many ways. People like to have power over their own lives, which is fine. I think that way too. Difference being, I believe my right to govern my own live is a gift from God. That’s what sets apart Christians from Atheists, in my opinion.

Let's look at that concept for a second: "non-practicing". Do you believe that someone can be saved without actively being what they believe? If that was too confusing, I'll give you an example of my point: someone comes up to you and says he's a pro football player. He's never actually played football; he doesn't practice it. Yet still he insists that he is, in fact, a pro football player (I thought this example was fitting since the Superbowl is almost here). What would you tell him? Moving on, it's good to keep an open mind, but only to a certain extent. As a "Christian", one needs to hold to certain fundamental beliefs that will not be destroyed by anything else. If one is a true Christian, the Holy Spirit that dwells within him would prevent him from completely rejecting the faith, because God will never leave that person once he is saved. Moving on from this, yes we can't know everything, but it is possible to know the fundamentals to be saved. Moving on again, yes, I believe there are universal truths that can apply to other religions as far as morality goes, but we must not forget where these morals come from: God. Moving on to the last point, yes, it can be "debatable" on both sides, but being a Christian requires some level of faith, as does any other "religion".

I tend to disagree somewhat. As a Christian, we are given freedom in Christ, but we aren't to abuse that freedom by doing what we want or "governing" our own life. The whole point of being saved is to have God and the Holy Spirit be the boss of our lives, not us.

Moving on from that silliness, I found this neat interview of a man who claims he "died and went to heaven".

Powerful stuff. You may not believe it, but it is something interesting to consider when dwelling on the thought of death and what comes after.

There's a book, I believe it's called 90 minutes of Heaven, that talks about another person having the same experience. I haven't read it personally but it did look interesting.

On an unrelated note, that dude looks like Two Face.

On a general note. I believe that people don't like "religion" because of the misconceptions and poor representation that seems to permeate much stronger than what it is ACTUALLY about. That, and people a lot of times have trouble submiting to the idea of a higher power in their life. They don't feel as though they should be confined or restricted in their life. Personally I believe that some restraint is necessary. But people seem to take things to the extream, take things out of context, and focus their very argument by talking circles around the same few points. This inevitability of thought thus lead no where, leaving everyone feeling even more empty and confused. They must discover it themselves, if that requires help then that will come.

^Description of Thread

On a general note. I believe that people don't like "religion" because of the misconceptions and poor representation that seems to permeate much stronger than what it is ACTUALLY about. That, and people a lot of times have trouble submiting to the idea of a higher power in their life. They don't feel as though they should be confined or restricted in their life. Personally I believe that some restraint is necessary. But people seem to take things to the extream, take things out of context, and focus their very argument by talking circles around the same few points. This inevitability of thought thus lead no where, leaving everyone feeling even more empty and confused. They must discover it themselves, if that requires help then that will come.

^Description of Thread
As an atheist, I see religion as bad because of those 50% who take it the wrong way. Religion is about loving and brotherhood and being nice to people, but some take it the wrong way. They see religion as the reason for having good morals, instead of having good morals being the reason for religion. That's what people need to realise. The problem is, we can't update the bible to suit modern needs and values. There are so many outdated laws in the bible, like pre-marital sex and gay marriage.

Obama is doing the right thing, promoting religious equality. It's a shame that so many people want him dead for that.

As an atheist, I see religion as bad because of those 50% who take it the wrong way. Religion is about loving and brotherhood and being nice to people, but some take it the wrong way. They see religion as the reason for having good morals, instead of having good morals being the reason for religion. That's what people need to realise. The problem is, we can't update the bible to suit modern needs and values. There are so many outdated laws in the bible, like pre-marital sex and gay marriage.

Obama is doing the right thing, promoting religious equality. It's a shame that so many people want him dead for that.
The bible was created to set up laws to last until the end. Nothing is "outdated." It was put into the bible because it is the will of god. And the ideas and problems of current are no different than what is discussed in the bible. That is why that of per-marital sex and gay marriage are one of the specific topics talked about.

The bible does NOT speak of a perfect world.

And what do you mean by "religious equality." I am unfamiliar but I think I may understand what you are talking about. But I don't want to speak blindly about the topic.

The bible was created to set up laws to last until the end. Nothing is "outdated." It was put into the bible because it is the will of god. And the ideas and problems of current are no different than what is discussed in the bible. That is why that of per-marital sex and gay marriage are one of the specific topics talked about.

The bible does NOT speak of a perfect world.

And what do you mean by "religious equality." I am unfamiliar but I think I may understand what you are talking about. But I don't want to speak blindly about the topic.
It means that all religions are treated equally in a certain country. So the money won't say god all over it, etc.

The Bible is not supposed to be changed. Your supposed to follow the laws of the Bible. Not go against them like gay-rights activists do.
You have a point. But gay rights activists want to live in a free country where they can get married, and, unlike the people who go against them, do not believe in the laws of the bible.

It's pretty much a battle between America's two founding principles: Faith and Freedom.

Homosexuals have freedom, but it is discriminated. They shouldn't expect to receive equality if they are acting degenerate out in public.
Stating (as if it were fact, not your opinion) that the actions are degenerate is wrong. Be polite, or if you can't do that, be quiet. You may not like what you see, but it is not your place to determine whether it is 'degenerate' or not.

"Discriminated Freedom" is another way of saying "Not Freedom at all."

Personally, I do not believe in homosexual marriage. Marriage is an institution of the Church, end of story (that's not an opinion, that's an historically verifiable fact). What I do believe in is a legally identical version of marriage that bestows ALL of the legal rights of marriage; without the Church's involvement. Why can people not see the easy compromise? This removes the Church from the State without compromising either, which is how it should be. People choosing to become life partners can choose one or the other, based on faith or lack thereof. Priests/Pastors/Other Religious Leader would be allowed to refuse to perform a Marriage on grounds of lack of faith; the couple could then proceed to a government official who could perform the ceremony that would legally make them life partners and grant all of the benefits of Marriage; except for the religious ones.

Of course you'll still have the religious debate over how homosexuality is wrong, but at least this way Freedom and Faith are both preserved from the government's standpoint.

nothing i dont fear death!!! god put you on the earth for reason now he is taking you away for a reason like he is going to take me now right after i am done righting this bye gu

It means that all religions are treated equally in a certain country. So the money won't say god all over it, etc.
I consider that restriction. Where does the right to NOT have it on the dollar and TO HAVE it on the dollar begin and end? You can't measure one persons right to something over another when it is all applied equally. If one person says "Take god off the dollar bill." And another says "Leave it on the dollar bill." Who is right?

Another question I have is how does taking "god" off of the dollar bill promote religious equality? The very definition of religion is believing in (a) god. So wouldn't you think it appropriate to leave such a thing on the dollar bill?

You have a point. But gay rights activists want to live in a free country where they can get married, and, unlike the people who go against them, do not believe in the laws of the bible.

It's pretty much a battle between America's two founding principles: Faith and Freedom.

I feel as though faith and freedom are the same thing. How would one have faith, if there wasn't the freedom to have it? How would someone use freedom, have freedom, if there wasn't the faith in it?

"if they are acting degenerate out in public". I agree with the rest of your post.
Your statement claims:

Homosexuality = Degeneracy

And claims that that is a fact, when in actual fact it is your opinion. I stated that your choice of wording is particularly offensive because you state it as fact and not opinion, and suggested you either choose your words more cautiously or not speak at all.

Now, MOVING AWAY FROM UNRELATED RELIGIOUS CONVERSATION and back on topic, my view of the afterlife is summarized in the following image:
aleksi_zombies_boxcover_600_600.jpg

Your statement claims:

Homosexuality = Degeneracy

And claims that that is a fact, when in actual fact it is your opinion. I stated that your choice of wording is particularly offensive because you state it as fact and not opinion, and suggested you either choose your words more cautiously or not speak at all.

Now, MOVING AWAY FROM UNRELATED RELIGIOUS CONVERSATION and back on topic, my view of the afterlife is summarized in the following image:
aleksi_zombies_boxcover_600_600.jpg

As awesome a picture as that is. I'm fairly certain the thread title is what is the purpose in life. I think the discussions have been very relevant. Not saying zombies are far fetched or anything :p :p :p :p :p :D

As awesome a picture as that is. I'm fairly certain the thread title is what is the purpose in life. I think the discussions have been very relevant. Not saying zombies are far fetched or anything :p :p :p :p :p :D
What is the purpose in life? Many would argue that life only serves a purpose if there is an afterlife. Zombies = relevant.

In-depth discussions on gay marriage = not so relevant :D

Homosexual = sin
going out calling for equality while in a parade almost naked and making out with their partners is degeneracy.

IF- in case that; granting or supposing that; on condition that
The same could be said for the extremist religious people who seem to taint what god really is. It can weigh both way unfortunately.

Homosexual = sin
going out calling for equality while in a parade almost naked and making out with their partners is degeneracy.

IF- in case that; granting or supposing that; on condition that
I'm not homosexual in any way, but I think religious people who call homesexuals sinners need to get over themselves. Gay people are treated like trash every day by almost everybody, and it doesn't help them anymore by telling them that they're going to hell for not listening to what a book has to say. This thread was never made to debate religion. If your answer to what the purpose of life is has to do with religion, then that's fine. But there is no need to sit around and debate about something irrelevant.

Back