Xbox Controller or PS3 Controller?

My one problem with the xbox controller.
ps3hasnogametho.png

The top is hollow.
If the controller is held correctly then the curvature of your thumb will rest comfortably inside the lowered bit of the thumbstick, thus giving more control and less chance of your thumb slipping off of it.

I think it is a clever design, but I also see why some people might not like it because it can feel strange if you don't hold the controller properly.

If the controller is held correctly then the curvature of your thumb will rest comfortably inside the lowered bit of the thumbstick, thus giving more control and less chance of your thumb slipping off of it.

I think it is a clever design, but I also see why some people might not like it because it can feel strange if you don't hold the controller properly.

Also, your thumb has to be the right lenth. To short, or to long, and it's wretched.

I don't prefer either of these. I spent too much time playing Sega Dreamcast/Saturn/Genesis and N64. I think it's probably all just in what you're used to dealing with. I don't really like xbox controllers in general they feel too large and clunky to me. But I stfu and play Halo with my fiance. I don't like PS1/2/3 controllers all that much either. But I just sit and deal with it and play nfs games.

The industry really needs to solve the whole "control two axes and buttons at once" issue. It's pretty silly that your right hand needs to switch off between actions and view control. Perhaps remove the buttons from the right side of the controller altogether, leaving your right thumb dedicated to the right stick, and put buttons under your middle and ring finger?

Edit: although, it might be tough to re-train people that "A" is no longer "jump."

My one problem with the xbox controller.
View attachment 133467
Wait.. That is the problem? Easy, Fixed: http://www.kontrolfreek.com/

I've been thinking lately, which controller from the two leading online multiplayer consoles has the best layout?

Personally, even though I play with my Xbox a lot more, I like using the PS3 controls. Mainly because they're formed to be exactly where you think the buttons are formally at, and the controller is incredibly light weight for what it offers. You can charge it, unlike the Xbox controller, where you have buy a wired controller, or a play and charge, and it comes with a accelerometer installed into the controller for some of the game's functionality. Such as Uncharted 3, where you can use it to aim grenades and idols. And the joysticks on the controller are incredibly soft and round so that your fingers won't miss a beat of action while you're playing. The only bad thing is when they meet a LOT of finger oil.

The cons of the Xbox controller are the complete opposite. Where as you have a heavy controller, and the triggers do get annoying from time to time, but do simulate a real firearm's trigger much more than a PS3. The PS3 kind of has more of a bumper. Not really a trigger. The joysticks on the Xbox's controller have these indents in them that helps keep traction of your fingers to stay inside of the bowl that is the joystick, but it's decent, and I somewhat like them. And, the Xbox controller is freakishly fat with it's battery pack and vibrators at the end of the controller. But all in all, I think the only pros of the Xbox controller is that it slips into your hands. ( And out.) It's the wired black controller that I have for my Xbox that I love because it's just so soft and rounds in the palms of your hands.

So. For Xbox.
Wired Controllers. All the way.

And for PS3.

Either or. Although, wireless is pretty cool. Unless you're going for input detection ( Which wired is good for.), than wireless is the way to go.

And majority..

PS3 wins. It's just an all around better controller imo.

What do you guys think?
I prefer the xbox controller, In my experience PS3 ones break when you throw them at the wall... They also have a better feel and the weight of them in your hands assure you that you are not playing via air.. My view: I don't like PS3 controllers.. PS3 as a console, Good. PSN as a network, Bad. Xbox to many ads, but good interaction wise.

The PS3 controllers are too light and the vibration is too heavy as well,
but the Xbox controller is the right weight and fells good on your hands.
The vibration isn't as strong too.

From my personal experiences:

XBox is perfect for average hands. New analog sticks are pretty sweet and the nubs help grip better. However, after a few months of owning bitches in the face with a silenced RPD they get pretty smooth and slick. The controller has the right weight, and batteries have never been an issue with me. If your controller discharges too quickly, then your battery may be near its EoL. Keep a Play and Charge kit handy for such occassions. Lastly on the pros on this controller, nothing beats having the two triggers.

The bad things about the XBox controller are it's range and ability to trap dirt. So many crevices on the controller, you really have to keep on it. Also with all analog controllers, you eventually get the "leaning stick" which causes terrible alignment issues in racers.

The PS3 controller is just terrible. I miss the PS1 controller. I can't stand those touch sensitive buttons. Seems like you have to pound them to go full speed in Gran Turismo. The weight of the controllers is way too light. Makes me feel like I'm going to break it, and feels cheap in my hands. Also Six Axis isn't that accurate.

PS3 controllers use bluetooth which may or may not have less lag than RF, and also comes with increased range. However, you really shouldn't be that far away.

Lets not make this about the consoles. I can go for days.

If the PS3 controller is too light, strap a dead baby corpse to it.

If the Xbox controller is too heavy, then remove some of the dead baby corpse bits out of it.

Problem solved

Back