Magic: The Gathering Thread

Okay, so I'm building an Abzan deck based around +1/+1 counters and creatures that give these creatures perks (similar to a Sliver desk that turns all of your creatures into Slivers) I have some decent mana ramp in it also. Although it's still in the works, what do you think I should do to the deck?

Okay, so I'm building an Abzan deck based around +1/+1 counters and creatures that give these creatures perks (similar to a Sliver desk that turns all of your creatures into Slivers) I have some decent mana ramp in it also. Although it's still in the works, what do you think I should do to the deck?

I love the Abzan because of their +1 counter synergy. Like the Abzan Battle Priest (lifelink), Falconer (flying) and First-strike dog soldier thing.

Reap what is sown is an easy combat trick to bring your dudes online. (Outlast takes too long)

Image.ashx

And Theros still has many filthy hydras that come in with +1 counters. How does a falconer give a hydra flying? I don't even know.

It's not at all competitive, but I think it's a solid casual deck.

And don't splash Black cuz its weird. Why does Mardu have white mana? They're not religious, ordered or compassionate.

I love the Abzan because of their +1 counter synergy. Like the Abzan Battle Priest (lifelink), Falconer (flying) and First-strike dog soldier thing.

Reap what is sown is an easy combat trick to bring your dudes online. (Outlast takes too long)

Image.ashx

And Theros still has many filthy hydras that come in with +1 counters. How does a falconer give a hydra flying? I don't even know.

It's not at all competitive, but I think it's a solid casual deck.

And don't splash Black cuz its weird. Why does Mardu have white mana? They're not religious, ordered or compassionate.
Nice advice, but instead of Reap what is sown, I run Incremental Growth

I also run Centaur Battlemaster and Solidarity of Heroes

One big strategy is to use Incremental Growth on two creatures and the third on Centaur Battlemaster. It will get 6 +1/+1 counters instead of 3. Next turn, use Solidarity of Heroes and choose the Centaur Battlemaster as a target. the ability will trigger, giving him 3 more counters, for a total of 9 +1/+1 counters. Then, Solidarity of heroes will double the counters, making him have 18 +1/+1 counters. So in three turns you can have a 21/21 creature and (With my Tuskgaurd Captain, He shall have Trample) he shall be a very quick game ender (I have plenty of mana ramp, so if I was to get really lucky, I can do this turn 2 or 1, but he will still have summoning sickness)

*Note* This is a best-case scenario, but I have other creatures that get 2 counters and more.

As to the Mardu thing, I run a primary white Mardu deck :3

Nice advice, but instead of Reap what is sown, I run Incremental Growth

I also run Centaur Battlemaster and Solidarity of Heroes

One big strategy is to use Incremental Growth on two creatures and the third on Centaur Battlemaster. It will get 6 +1/+1 counters instead of 3. Next turn, use Solidarity of Heroes and choose the Centaur Battlemaster as a target. the ability will trigger, giving him 3 more counters, for a total of 9 +1/+1 counters. Then, Solidarity of heroes will double the counters, making him have 18 +1/+1 counters. So in three turns you can have a 21/21 creature and (With my Tuskgaurd Captain, He shall have Trample) he shall be a very quick game ender (I have plenty of mana ramp, so if I was to get really lucky, I can do this turn 2 or 1, but he will still have summoning sickness)

*Note* This is a best-case scenario, but I have other creatures that get 2 counters and more.

As to the Mardu thing, I run a primary white Mardu deck :3
I personally dislike Incremental Growth. Reap What Is Sown is far more powerful. Why, you ask? First let's look at the CMC (Converted Mana Cost). RWIS is only 3 mana, compared to Growth's 5. Secondly, RWIS is instant speed, meaning it can be used as a combat trick, or to help your 3/3 survive a bile blight or lightning strike.

**Note: This below section takes this to a more aggressive strategy, and has no testing to back it. I would personally recommend the slower strategy explained later**
Centaur Battlemaster is another expensive choice here, it's presence on the board is very weak initially compared to other 5 cmc creatures in the format. It takes an additional spell to get value out of it, but by then you're either trying to close out the game with other threats, or stay alive. This does not seem to be a very control-focused deck, so I'd recommend sticking to the faster side. I personally think most heroic creatures won't work out in this deck, apart from the obvious Phalanx Leader.
I'd heavily recommend Fleecemane Lion, as it is a good early attacker, and becomes impossible to remove once it becomes monstrous, along with getting the +1/+1 counter bonus.

I wrote up a quick list here: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-02-15-fyM-gw-counters/
Please note that the list was written without any testing. There were also many cards that can be added, but were not added in the interest of not exceeding 60 cards. Modify as you wish.

**Midrange Strategy**
Alternatively, you can go with a far slower strategy, abusing the Abzan's Ability to outlast their opponent. To do this, add in black for an assortment of removal spells to help stall the game. Add in Anafenza the Foremost for her attacking trigger, and maybe Siege Rhino if you find his drain necessary. Abzan charm would also be a must have in this case. In this slower strategy, which I believe you would enjoy more, the additional mana ramp would be much needed, and the slower cards you mentioned can find a home. Fleecemane Lion will still find a nice home here, as it is far too powerful here to ignore. Although I personally don't think Incremental Growth can stay, Centaur Battlemaster could make the cut. I won't write a list for this version of the deck, as I believe you already have an idea of how to go about this.

I personally dislike Incremental Growth. Reap What Is Sown is far more powerful. Why, you ask? First let's look at the CMC (Converted Mana Cost). RWIS is only 3 mana, compared to Growth's 5. Secondly, RWIS is instant speed, meaning it can be used as a combat trick, or to help your 3/3 survive a bile blight or lightning strike.

**Note: This below section takes this to a more aggressive strategy, and has no testing to back it. I would personally recommend the slower strategy explained later**
Centaur Battlemaster is another expensive choice here, it's presence on the board is very weak initially compared to other 5 cmc creatures in the format. It takes an additional spell to get value out of it, but by then you're either trying to close out the game with other threats, or stay alive. This does not seem to be a very control-focused deck, so I'd recommend sticking to the faster side. I personally think most heroic creatures won't work out in this deck, apart from the obvious Phalanx Leader.
I'd heavily recommend Fleecemane Lion, as it is a good early attacker, and becomes impossible to remove once it becomes monstrous, along with getting the +1/+1 counter bonus.

I wrote up a quick list here: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-02-15-fyM-gw-counters/
Please note that the list was written without any testing. There were also many cards that can be added, but were not added in the interest of not exceeding 60 cards. Modify as you wish.

**Midrange Strategy**
Alternatively, you can go with a far slower strategy, abusing the Abzan's Ability to outlast their opponent. To do this, add in black for an assortment of removal spells to help stall the game. Add in Anafenza the Foremost for her attacking trigger, and maybe Siege Rhino if you find his drain necessary. Abzan charm would also be a must have in this case. In this slower strategy, which I believe you would enjoy more, the additional mana ramp would be much needed, and the slower cards you mentioned can find a home. Fleecemane Lion will still find a nice home here, as it is far too powerful here to ignore. Although I personally don't think Incremental Growth can stay, Centaur Battlemaster could make the cut. I won't write a list for this version of the deck, as I believe you already have an idea of how to go about this.

I like your ideas. Sadly, I don't have all of those resources needed.

Also, there is a creature you are missing that I find to be an amazing asset in any green deck. The Temur Sabertooth Is a great asset in a deck. If you get one of them on the field, you can span cheap creature abilities. I know it's a little pricier than some sorceries or instants, but with the Arashin Cleric, you can spam 3 live bu paying 4 mana AND giving the sabertooth indestructible. As long as you keep at least one green ans one other mana stocked, you have a very strong life-spammer. Or you can use it on any of the creatures with the either-or enter the battlefield effects (My favorite to do this with is Aniok Guide), so you can ensure you can have the resources to keep going. The downside for this is that it usually costs 1-2 mana more than an instant or sorcery with the same affect, but it can be worth it.

So uhm, partially /bump for thread, and, Thanks to my main bro at college I've gotten into Magic.

Currently have played a total of 5 games; 4 standard and one EDH. EDH is my favourite play style of the two.

My bro is explaining magic as I play against him, and I'm slowly but surely getting it, even though he says im picking it up quickly.

My main questions really are :
1) Are there any advantages one colour has over another?
2) In both play styles, can you have a deck with say, all five colours?
3) Abyssal Gatekeeper is my fave dick move card.
4) What would be good for a Red/Blue deck?
5) any and all tips and tricks I should know about?

If you ask what I know, I know land=mana, The terms for most anything in magic, and I know the basic ins and outs of enchants and instants and such

So uhm, partially /bump for thread, and, Thanks to my main bro at college I've gotten into Magic.

Currently have played a total of 5 games; 4 standard and one EDH. EDH is my favourite play style of the two.

My bro is explaining magic as I play against him, and I'm slowly but surely getting it, even though he says im picking it up quickly.

My main questions really are :
1) Are there any advantages one colour has over another?
2) In both play styles, can you have a deck with say, all five colours?
3) Abyssal Gatekeeper is my fave dick move card.
4) What would be good for a Red/Blue deck?
5) any and all tips and tricks I should know about?

If you ask what I know, I know land=mana, The terms for most anything in magic, and I know the basic ins and outs of enchants and instants and such
Welcome to the club. Be prepared to spend hundreds of dollars on paper. (I do it too...)

Anyways, it's really fun, and although I'm not the best, I'll try to answer your questions:

1) Ehh...in a way. It really depends on the set though. One common theme I see is Green countering blue, blue countering red, red countering green (Blue literally counters red, red outruns green, green tries to prevent the affects of blue) White and Black are more of opposites, as one is more based on building one up and the other breaking others down. Get into multicolored decks and that's a whole new ballgame.
2) Yes, but it's very difficult to make one work WELL. I've seen both all color and no color decks, but they generally are inferior to colored decks (Except Eldrazi. Eldrazi so OP, they had to go back in time, resurrect Ugin, and stop the Eldrazi AGAIN)
3) Not a question, but cool. Mine has to be either my Blood Baron of Viscopa or Ugin
4) I usually see a lightning-fast counter deck. If running modern, run Mindswipe, Counter flux, and more. One guy I faced used one card to put his entire library in his hand except one card, and another that turned his graveyard into his library. Oh,the overpoweredness...
5) It all depends on the strategy. Right now, I see speed as a good strategy. Overpower them with an army of weaker enemies, and hit them before they can react.

Others may have better info than me. This is personal experience, so others may have other comments.

Welcome to Magic, where you can never leave due to how much you invested into it.

Wow, month exact /bump, but hey.

Anyway, so I made my new edh deck about a week or so ago and tested it in a 5 way free for all. Lasted three hours >.>

My Commander is Surrak Dragonclaw
  • Flash
    Surrak Dragonclaw can't be countered
    Creature spells you control can't be countered
    Other creatures you control have trample

My set up is red and green are the bulk of my deck, while I use blue primarily for counters and other instants.

Some cards to highlight

blood.png
crater.png
destruct.png
ji.png
horn.png
living.png
mal.png
psy.png
scuttle.png

I need help building a deck with what I've got!
I currently own a Spectral Legions deck, An Ajani vs. Nicol Duel decks and a Japanese Jace vs. Chandra Duel Decks that I doubt I'll ever use since it's all in Japanese.
From that info, what would be the best deck combo?

I currently own a Spectral Legions deck, An Ajani vs. Nicol Duel decks and a Japanese Jace vs. Chandra Duel Decks that I doubt I'll ever use since it's all in Japanese.

Well, what are the colours of Ajani vs Nicol, what colours do you prefer to play, is this for standard (60 cards, 20 life) or EDH (100 cards, commander, 40 life)?

I would first like to note that the Jace vs Chandra is personally my favorite duel deck and the Jace deck is pretty good. The Japanese version also holds a lot of value, especially with the alternate art Jace and Chandra.

I have no experience with the Innistrad intro decks, nor with the Ajani vs Bolas duel deck. However, from what I know from playing Anthrologies is that the Jace deck is very good.

Despite all of this though, play whatever you find the funnest. Whatever you enjoy playing should be what you settle with. The decks are supposed to be built with plenty of synergy so I don't really recommend pulling them apart unless you need a few of the cards (IE: Counterspell, Fact or Fiction, Lightning Helix, etc.). But if you want to move cards around, feel free to.

There's alot of lore in MTG but I think there's very little discussion about it while everyone's busy fine tuning their decks and adding all the high quality rares like friggin' coruser of kruphix and slvyan caraytids.

So before i get sidetracked : who's your favorite planeswalker?

I guess mines Xenagos. Too many planeswalkers have stories and personalities that are too grim and otherwise always appear too serious. When the Eldrazi are about to cave your planet in, Xenagos would be hosting the biggest shindig with the inhabitants to mark the end of the world instead of fighting them. Of course your boring "honorable" white-aligned planeswalkers like Gideon, Elpeth, Ajani will do the standard justice league shenanigans and stuff. (or at least how i imagine it).

Xenagos likes to party, and somehow he got his spark while partying (headcannon) like Clariy Clarence. Which i find amusing because other planeswalkers get their sparks in very cliche circumstances or otherwise traumatizing experiences.

You can also tell Wizards are pushing too hard to make Xenagos to be the "bad guy". Like how he killed his parents and siblings; I can tell they're really trying to paint a black + white picture of the guy. You'd get a more dynamic story when Elspeth considers him to be an entity that can be reasoned with instead of a monster.

Sure I hated fighting him when he was a standard staple while he's mana-mana-mana-mana-mana Goatman (old batman theme reference). But I feel he's definitely a planeswalker worth fleshing out. Hope he makes a comeback...

I'm trying to make a new deck, but I'm stuck. I wanted to base it around clones and biovisionary as well as my new strategy (Use Enter the Infinite to draw your entire library but one card, then use ill-gotten gains and discard all of the cards into your graveyard and get your Psychic Spiral and 2 negates back, then cast your Psychic spiral, putting your graveyard back in your library and making your opponent remove that many cards from the top of their library into the graveyard, thus ending the game in a 1v1 matchup). Any Ideas to increase my mana rampage?

Deck so far (I know it's too big and lacking mana)

Also, Tamiyo can be used for either her second or her ult, her second speeding up your chances of getting Enter the Infinite, and her ult just making your biovisionaries and clones godlike and ensuring victory

EDIT* I just learned Ill-gotten gains isn't even modern. I need a substitute card. I need a card that can make me discard my entire hand and leave me with one card in my hand without drawing ( like, discards all but one, discards all, then gets one out of graveyard, ect.) I need this for the enter the infinite strategy to work.

Last edited:
I used to play in high school. I had a stupid aggressive red and green deck, I think. A lot of just straight damage and Trample. <3 God, I love Trample.

I'm trying to make a new deck, but I'm stuck. I wanted to base it around clones and biovisionary as well as my new strategy (Use Enter the Infinite to draw your entire library but one card, then use ill-gotten gains and discard all of the cards into your graveyard and get your Psychic Spiral and 2 negates back, then cast your Psychic spiral, putting your graveyard back in your library and making your opponent remove that many cards from the top of their library into the graveyard, thus ending the game in a 1v1 matchup). Any Ideas to increase my mana rampage?

Deck so far (I know it's too big and lacking mana)

Also, Tamiyo can be used for either her second or her ult, her second speeding up your chances of getting Enter the Infinite, and her ult just making your biovisionaries and clones godlike and ensuring victory

EDIT* I just learned Ill-gotten gains isn't even modern. I need a substitute card. I need a card that can make me discard my entire hand and leave me with one card in my hand without drawing ( like, discards all but one, discards all, then gets one out of graveyard, ect.) I need this for the enter the infinite strategy to work.

Image.ashx

Get some zambambos while you discard.

Good luck entering the infinite though. Usually no one ramps that much and survives... unless you play Shrine to Nykthos, that filthy basterd cerd.

I used to play in high school. I had a stupid aggressive red and green deck, I think. A lot of just straight damage and Trample. <3 God, I love Trample.

My best deck is a red green with Borborygmos enraged, bitch. <3

Side note: i recently made a simic deck (blue/green) with Vorel of the Hull Clade, and a tribal beast deck consisting of Naya colours (red white green) with Marath, will of the wilds

Bump, Sue me later. I play magic, the fuck will you take away from me? ;)

For those unaware, here's each commander I own, and the play style affiliated with each.

Borbory.jpg

I REALLY love Borborygmos Enraged; in essence, he is my best deck. I love Gruul. Nothing but massive amounts of mana ramping, direct damage, trample (its green. of course trample) Force fights, etc. Due to his high mana cost, I stall until I can bring him out, and do as much damage as possible.

Vorel.jpg

Vorel of the Hull Clade, is interesting. Simic by itself is definitely a different style, but Vorel makes it better. Here's how his ability works: If an artifact, creature or land has 3 +1/+1 Counters and 1 divinity counter on it, after his ability resolves, that artifact, creature, or land now has 6 +1/+1 counters and 2 divinity counters. The deck is nothing but scary sea stuff, and counters. sidenote: last game I used him in a few days ago, turn 5 I had a 64/64.

Marath.jpg

Marath will of the Wild. A really fun Naya commander, or so I hope; I haven't played it yet, so I can't say for certain how it'll go over. I can say though, that as a commander 2013 set; it needed work. I think primarily due to the fact it's a tri coloured deck, it had a mish mosh of life gain, mana ramping, beasts, tokens, etc; basically, it didn't have a theme; that is, until I turned it tribal beast. So here's hoping it goes well.

Image.ashx

Get some zambambos while you discard.

Good luck entering the infinite though. Usually no one ramps that much and survives... unless you play Shrine to Nykthos, that filthy basterd cerd.

That card looks brutal. And I know. I thought Living Lore could help, especially if I can figure out if it's legal for me to attack with it and, before it dies (via deathtouch or stronger creature), if I can sacrifice it. If so, then I can use clones on Living Lores, copy my spells such as enter the infinite, then cast them without mana cost.

Here's a deck I made. It's based around building up creatures and life, while at the same time building up the strength of your pridemates and your Harsh Sustenance. The Devout Invocation can be brutal late game, and usually is a game ender. Please note that the sideboard is of maybe cards so far, or cards I din't have enough of at the moment (such as my brutal palace guard-holy mantle defense)

My Deck

Last edited:
That card looks brutal. And I know. I thought Living Lore could help, especially if I can figure out if it's legal for me to attack with it and, before it dies (via deathtouch or stronger creature), if I can sacrifice it. If so, then I can use clones on Living Lores, copy my spells such as enter the infinite, then cast them without mana cost.

Here's a deck I made. It's based around building up creatures and life, while at the same time building up the strength of your pridemates and your Harsh Sustenance. The Devout Invocation can be brutal late game, and usually is a game ender. Please note that the sideboard is of maybe cards so far, or cards I din't have enough of at the moment (such as my brutal palace guard-holy mantle defense)

My Deck

Its got the bones to be a lifegain deck... simply cuz pridemate + soul sisters is foul play in my book.

I think a main problem you'll encounter is mid game when you played all your cards in your hand and are topdecking for a winner.
Fortunately, Green has ways to draw cards.

I'd drop the elixirs for Karametra's favor for more ramp + draw

or you could add big dumb cards like Chalice of Life

329272.jpg

Beware simple but effective board wipes like drown in sorrow.
or Bident of Thassa's ability.

I like Theros. It's imaginary Sparta, its Ancient Greek really except not.

Back