Team9000 Minecraft (Community Reboot)

What isn't simple or straightforward about it? Are you making it a completely headless server?

If not, why not save yourself a little bit of hassle and get something that already has most of the things you want/need and just uninstall what you don't. I could suggest a minimal Debian distro like Crunchbang, where you could change the repos to get the latest Debian, or stay with the Wheezy it is for more stability... but if you want more bleeding edge/up-to-date then go with Fedora or Arch. Fedora installs a bunch of bloat from the getgo, so I stay away from them cuz I like it small(she never said that to my knowledge). You can pick Archbang (crunchbang for Arch) or go with Manjaro(which is like Ubuntu but lighter/snappier ie:xubuntu or lubuntu but I find manjaro snappier and more completely functional than any ubuntu flavor.) I personally run Arch right now, but I'm considering a switch to Manjaro, because everything works out of the box, and I can always play with repos if I really want to be where Arch is. I would personally build a minimal Arch if I wanted a headless server... just cuz I'm a doodoohead.

The main difference between terminal in Arch, Debian, Fedora, SUSE? Package Management, it's all pretty much the same with different syntax if you want to be completely honest. Sure some have different pros or cons(in reference to what dependencies/extras they pull in by default or how well they integrate into a GUI) but it's not that hard. I like Arch, because of the wiki, so much info that you actually don't need to know what you're doing half the time. (someone might yell at me for that, but I haven't had any problems when I followed the instructions to a T... and when I did, I just uninstalled what I was trying, reverted any config changes and moved on to a different option.)

Debian is stable and considered more secure because the packages are older and received more patches.
Arch is newer/up-to-date stuff(kinda like fedora without bloat) but requires more terminal work(unless you go headless debian)

Manjaro is Arch made easier and more stable with extras.(think ubuntu to debian, but not as crappy)

Also, remember that stability is largely relative. Regardless of what distro you use, if you don't pay attention to what you're doing you can break things. Look at what you install before you install it. If you don't know, then don't do it, or read up on it first... or try it on something you dont mind breaking first.

So what's so complicated? It can be as easy as installing from a disc, to as difficult as building a custom kernel(which is insane for anyone to take that much time to do. imo) Is it the SQL stuff that's the problem? I'm not saying you're not smart or trying to be condescending. I'm legitimately curious as to what's hard. I personally enjoy upgrading/installing/configuring/pokingabout/breakingthingsoccasionallyforthetestsbutrevertingificantfixes >_>

edit: plus if there is something I don't know about... like the SQL stuff... I'm curious as to what makes it difficult. I like learning things. I will look into this sql stuff eventually one day. I just don't now cuz I don't need to/have other things to focus on.
[collapse=Protip]
Use the collapse tag instead of the spoiler tag.
[/collapse]

Fedora releases are only supported for 13 months, at which point you have to do an upgrade, which isn't a quick process, particularly if some package you used was replaced and you need to learn the new package, etc. If you like RPMs but don't need the latest versions of things, use CentOS.

I'm assuming that Theo doesn't have yet another PC to spare and hoping that one of the factors complicating the upgrade is that he wants to minimize downtime :D

[collapse=Original Quote]I can't use Journeymap, schematica, or craftguide. I am disappoint.

You need to use 1.8 (not 1.8.1), forge works just fine with 1.8 but doesn't support 1.8.1, also sadly you have to use liteloader to get a minimap since voxelmap is the only one that supports 1.8... and once again ONLY 1.8, not 1.8.1 (liteloader is beta for 1.8 and not 1.8.1).

As far as Gurw saying forge isn't ready makes no sense. Forge is in working beta in 1.8, just like liteloader which is BETA also. Maybe it's different in Canada? Completely different internet and all, since we have to translate their maple leaves into marijuana to keep our browsers from crashing.

Here's what you need to do JMAL, first, run minecraft with 1.8(by selecting 1.8 in the versions list for your profile). After it runs and you get to the main menu, exit minecraft then run the latest forge installer, which is here. FORGE 1.8 drop all your mods(the .jar files) into this folder ~/.minecraft/mods/ (linux) or %appdata%/roaming/.minecraft/mods/ (windows)
After that, you can install liteloader for 1.8 if you choose to use voxelmap or any other liteloader mods, and make sure to tell it to install to forge using the dropdown box that defaults to 1.8 so you can use both forge and liteloader.
liteloader 1.8 is here liteloader 1.8

also, liteloader mods go into ~/.minecraft/mods/1.8/ or %appdata%/roaming/.minecraft/mods/1.8/
failing to seperate forge .jars and liteloader .litemods will cause problems (if minecraft will even launch without crashing)

edit: as far as optifine goes, make sure its the 1.8 version available at optifined.net
voxelmap is here voxelmap, just in case you're lazy.
optifine in mods/ and voxelmap in mods/1.8/ ;)[/collapse]

Ok so evidently something isn't right. I've done that exact method about 5 different times now, even going so far as to restart computer, to delete all profiles, delete all .jar files, complete fresh install. IDK wtf is going on anymore.

Ok so evidently something isn't right. I've done that exact method about 5 different times now, even going so far as to restart computer, to delete all profiles, delete all .jar files, complete fresh install. IDK wtf is going on anymore.

got your items when you died JMAL

Fedora releases are only supported for 13 months, at which point you have to do an upgrade, which isn't a quick process, particularly if some package you used was replaced and you need to learn the new package, etc. If you like RPMs but don't need the latest versions of things, use CentOS.

I'm assuming that Theo doesn't have yet another PC to spare and hoping that one of the factors complicating the upgrade is that he wants to minimize downtime :D
It's Debian.

We're experiencing a cable outage at my place, server should be back up when it's resolved.

What are the world boundaries? I know in 1.7.10, there were rumours that the world would be trimmed back to 8k x 8k in 1.8. Has this happened? If so, what is the new world border?

What are the world boundaries? I know in 1.7.10, there were rumours that the world would be trimmed back to 8k x 8k in 1.8. Has this happened? If so, what is the new world border?
yeah good question
Since nobody really went past the 8,000 boundary, we haven't felt a need to trim what little was beyond the edge.

Having said that, without any real new generation since we pre-generated the world in 1.8, the world's (soft) border remains at 8,000 in every direction. If new generation is added in a future update, or somehow the Hinterlands gets crowded, we'll discuss expanding it.

EDIT: There were only 5 "trails" of generated terrain branching off the pre-generated terrain, and a handful of isolated pockets accessed via the Nether. Not worth the 6 hours of server downtime that trimming would require.

Having said that, without any real new generation since we pre-generated the world in 1.8, the world's (soft) border remains at 8,000 in every direction. If new generation is added in a future update, or somehow the Hinterlands gets crowded, we'll discuss expanding it.

Seems reasonable, there doesn't seem to be any need to go past 8000 to get any new items or blocks or anything as far as I can see.

EDIT: There were only 5 "trails" of generated terrain branching off the pre-generated terrain, and a handful of isolated pockets accessed via the Nether. Not worth the 6 hours of server downtime that trimming would require.

6 hours sounds pretty bad! If you made the "radius" a multiple of the region size (32*16 = 512), e.g. 8192, then you could just delete a few region files that lie beyond this boundary (e.g. r.17.*.mca, r.18.*.mca, ...), couldn't you? I don't know if it's the "right" way to do it, but surely Minecraft can handle region files going missing, I've certainly copied just a single file over to a new world in the past and it worked. Obviously a moot point right now though.

Seems reasonable, there doesn't seem to be any need to go past 8000 to get any new items or blocks or anything as far as I can see.

6 hours sounds pretty bad! If you made the "radius" a multiple of the region size (32*16 = 512), e.g. 8192, then you could just delete a few region files that lie beyond this boundary (e.g. r.17.*.mca, r.18.*.mca, ...), couldn't you? I don't know if it's the "right" way to do it, but surely Minecraft can handle region files going missing, I've certainly copied just a single file over to a new world in the past and it worked. Obviously a moot point right now though.
Probably. Again though, really not worth the time or effort.

Someone angry all the pigmen near the SB portal stay out of there i killed 300+ but they keep comming

I like to apologizze for the light grief i'm forced to dk to keep everyone safe

UPDATE 575 KILLS AT THE SAME SPOT I CAN'T FIX THE HOLE

Back