Team9000 Minecraft (Community Reboot)

Server lists have been added to the end of the OP (rewards aren't set up yet, but you can still vote for the server and help us get more visibility!)

We need banners. If anyone wants to try and design some, feel free to check out the sizes offered by the sites and make them up :D

so. my minecraft broke. authentication servers down pretty much since last night. help..?

so. my minecraft broke. authentication servers down pretty much since last night. help..?
There are rumors that Mojang is either being DDoSed by people because of the EULA change or this could be a sign of 1.8... Either way, it's down for me too. You can also check this to see the status of their servers.

There are rumors that Mojang is either being DDoSed by people because of the EULA change or this could be a sign of 1.8... Either way, it's down for me too. You can also check this to see the status of their servers.

yeah i stumbled uppon that right before you posted

What did they change about their? What was significant enough to entice a DDoS attack??

People are fucking idiots. The new EULA actually makes it legal to monetize your server (previously, if you had ANY sort of money being sent towards a server, even DONATIONS, you were breaking the EULA). Now, it's actually ALLOWED to monetize the server.

Sheesh. This doesn't level any playing fields. It actually makes it worse.

oiiii whoever wants to build a boat that looks cool is more than free to do it at me harbor. you can replace the current boat since it looks like arse or just help make it look better. payment wise I can't promise anything butttt it would extremely awesome none the less.

I was never a good boat maker.

People are fucking idiots. The new EULA actually makes it legal to monetize your server (previously, if you had ANY sort of money being sent towards a server, even DONATIONS, you were breaking the EULA). Now, it's actually ALLOWED to monetize the server.

Sheesh. This doesn't level any playing fields. It actually makes it worse.
I thought you could only monetize things that didn't affect gameplay.

I thought you could only monetize things that didn't affect gameplay.
And before, you couldn't monetize ANYTHING. Protip from Notch himself: "If you're doing something lawyers don't like, be quiet about it."

This just makes it legal for servers to accept donations now (and also running ads on the server for revenue is legal as well). Charging for in-game items with real money is STILL breaking the EULA, that has always been that way. In short, nothing changes.

And before, you couldn't monetize ANYTHING. Protip from Notch himself: "If you're doing something lawyers don't like, be quiet about it."

This just makes it legal for servers to accept donations now (and also running ads on the server for revenue is legal as well). Charging for in-game items with real money is STILL breaking the EULA, that has always been that way. In short, nothing changes.
Was this ever enforced?

Is it enforced now?

Was this ever enforced?

Is it enforced now?
I seem to remember a while back the lawyers got on the case of one of the larger servers that ran exclusively on player donations. I think Carl Manneh didn't even know it was happening until the community went to him and basically said, "WTF ASSCHUNK." I think he called off the lawyers in that case, but I know there have been cease-and-desist letters issued to smaller servers (a couple of now-defunct servers I played on over two years ago were hit).

Don't remember the name of the big server, but it's basically the reason for the EULA change; the community got word out about it and the MC community at large pressured Mojang into altering the EULA in favor of donation- and ad-revenue-run servers.

Was this ever enforced?

Is it enforced now?
the fact that they are raising issues about it and changing there eula shows that they are probably going to enforce it now. before some jackass 13 year old punk would spend $100 of his mom's money of gaining an advantage and parents were like "what the shit?" they are changing a kinda pseudo grey area to be a lot more clear. quite honestly pay to win transactions are stupid especially in minecraft.

For the record, the most they can really do to you if you are running a pay-to-play/win server is send you a cease-and-desist letter. If you don't, then they can take a few other steps including:
1. Revoke your MC account.
2. Issue a cease-and-desist notice to your server host (who will comply - don't expect them not to, or to even inform you that they received such a letter).
3. If the server is run off of your home internet or a business connection that you pay for, they can issue a cease-and-desist notice to your ISP (who probably will turn around and issue you a cease-and-desist notice since the person who owns the internet contract (ie. parents of child server owners) may not be aware of the issue).

If the above doesn't work, they can:
1. Take you to court (not likely) and have the justice issue a contractual breakage fine and order you to stop.
2. Take you to court (really not likely) and sue you for all proceeds from the server from the time you began monetizing it.
3. Take your server host or ISP to court (most likely) and have them cut off your service.

Back