The LGBT Thread

1072307_648183808526307_1124814214_o.jpg
picture
I actually have a serious problem with things like that. Sure, rally around a symbol of happiness; but that sign is just as offensive to Christians as the word "faggot" is to a gay man. If you want acceptance, don't insult other people.

To Christians the rainbow is a sign of God's promise to never again destroy the world with water. It's a symbol of His love and caring for all of humanity. It represents many of the core beliefs about the nature of God - homosexuality not being one of them. The Christian community at large - even the bigots - have turned a blind eye to the LGBTQ community's adoption of this symbol; rubbing it in their faces is neither a smart move, nor does it help the cause at all.

And quite frankly, it's inconsiderate people like this man that make me ashamed of being who I am.

(yes, I'm aware of what's happening in the background. My parents taught me two wrongs never make a right, they just make two assholes)

I didn't find it offensive - just confusing. Why would a deity have reproductive organs, or a gender for that manner?

I actually have a serious problem with things like that. Sure, rally around a symbol of happiness; but that sign is just as offensive to Christians as the word "faggot" is to a gay man. If you want acceptance, don't insult other people.

To Christians the rainbow is a sign of God's promise to never again destroy the world with water. It's a symbol of His love and caring for all of humanity. It represents many of the core beliefs about the nature of God - homosexuality not being one of them. The Christian community at large - even the bigots - have turned a blind eye to the LGBTQ community's adoption of this symbol; rubbing it in their faces is neither a smart move, nor does it help the cause at all.

And quite frankly, it's inconsiderate people like this man that make me ashamed of being who I am.

(yes, I'm aware of what's happening in the background. My parents taught me two wrongs never make a right, they just make two assholes)

I posted it only because I thought it was funny, sorry to offend :/

I agree. As a Christian, I find this highly offensive. I have no problem with any part of the LGBT community. I have plenty of homosexual relatives who are awesome people that I'm very close to. But the LGBT community is trying to convince others to accept them and let them have their rights, but alienating the people who don't accept you is just going to prevent any actual progress.

If it's really all about love, you should love everyone, not just people who agree with you.
(Also Pixiel, I realize you just thought the joke was funny. You didn't offend me, and this is in no way aimed toward you)

Personally, I believe that everyone makes a giant deal about all of it. About the picture Pixiel wrote, who cares? Thats what he thinks, stop scrutinizing and let him be. If someone says the word faggot or such, don't yell at him for being offensive, because he's just using it in a context not aimed toward insulting anyone at all. Instead of hating the word, we should embrace it. If someone does insult you, say "yeah I'm a fag. So?" They can't insult you if you're fine with it. I think we just all need to stop trying to eliminate it, but to minimize and nullify it.

Personally, I believe that everyone makes a giant deal about all of it. About the picture Pixiel wrote, who cares? Thats what he thinks, stop scrutinizing and let him be. If someone says the word faggot or such, don't yell at him for being offensive, because he's just using it in a context not aimed toward insulting anyone at all. Instead of hating the word, we should embrace it. If someone does insult you, say "yeah I'm a fag. So?" They can't insult you if you're fine with it. I think we just all need to stop trying to eliminate it, but to minimize and nullify it.
I'm sorry, but I'm not okay with people using offensive words "inoffensively", it doesn't work like that. If someone did that with racist terms no one would be "No man, he didn't mean it directed at you! He just meant a stupid person!"

I dont understand why people wont just allow people to live their lives and be free. Why does politics have to interfere with the freedom of people's life choices? People should be allowed to live life they want to live it, not some stupid religious politics crap. This comic makes me mad why gay marriage should be controverted.

Because, whether you like to admit/see it or not, The US government is honestly the most hypocritical thing in existence when it comes to the Constitution.

The politicians that are in offices don't feel comfortable about gays. They try to tiptoe around the constitution to suit their own needs, which, brings me a to a better point still relevant to this:

The united states' citizens are very brash and quick to blame and yell at those in the government right?

Yet, they voted for those exact people to be in office.
We know who's really to blame. the people.

Because, whether you like to admit/see it or not, The US government is honestly the most hypocritical thing in existence when it comes to the Constitution.

The politicians that are in offices don't feel comfortable about gays. They try to tiptoe around the constitution to suit their own needs, which, brings me a to a better point still relevant to this:

The united states' citizens are very brash and quick to blame and yell at those in the government right?

To be honest we only vote for the people who vote, and to be able to discern between a politician or someone worth voting for is like deciding which of two trees will grow taller.

Don't want to derail this thread but reality is not as simple as that.

We have two parties and two candidates to choose from, both of which are marred with money and influence from corporations and interests. Campaigns are drowned in money and there are no productive discussions, just attacks, and we are forced to vote to keep someone from winning instead of supporting ideas we agree with. Promises are made, and rarely kept.

Ok so somehow a magical great candidate is elected and then what? That candidate goes into a broken government which can't get anything done. If they try to get something done they will be blocked by other members, by interests, lobbyists, etc. There is no cooperation, just two parties fighting each other with corporations making the real decisions with unlimited influence.

Is this the healthy democracy you describe where the people really get to choose what happens? Not really.

If you have time I highly suggest you watch the episodes from this show, starting from the beginning.

http://billmoyers.com/series/moyers-and-company/?ppaged=10

The first episodes start at the bottom then go up, Winner-Take-All Politics then Crony Capitalism etc, etc.

To quote a nationstates issue, "people often have to decern between picking the lesser of two evils. Gay marriage shouldnt even be in politics!

We should invent words for people who are sexually attracted to people with the same skin/eye/hair colour and people who are sexually attracted to people of different skin/eye/hair color so we can discriminate against them too.

We should invent words for people who are sexually attracted to people with the same skin/eye/hair colour and people who are sexually attracted to people of different skin/eye/hair color so we can discriminate against them too.
I don't like that analogy...
I'm not for or against gay marriage, personally I don't think that the government should intrude that far into individual lives, but I also recognize that gay marriage could create very awkward social situations which might be best avoided.

If I were gay, and I adopted a kid with my "boyfriend" and he goes over to his friends house, and questions the fact that his friend has a female mom, or watches TV and notices the general household structure, it would be extremely difficult to explain something like that. I think such things are best left untampered with, and we should just continue with the society that hasn't failed us yet...much.

While I do hate this fact, what needs to be recognized is that there's a reason that homosexuals are/were more or less disliked--because there are people who are extremely against this/disturbed by it. While I do think these people are just douches, those people are generally the ones with the power... the ones we elect.

I'm not for or against gay marriage, personally I don't think that the government should intrude that far into individual lives, but I also recognize that gay marriage could create very awkward social situations which might be best avoided.

If I were gay, and I adopted a kid with my "boyfriend" and he goes over to his friends house, and questions the fact that his friend has a female mom, or watches TV and notices the general household structure, it would be extremely difficult to explain something like that. I think such things are best left untampered with, and we should just continue with the society that hasn't failed us yet...much.

While I do hate this fact, what needs to be recognized is that there's a reason that homosexuals are/were more or less disliked--because there are people who are extremely against this/disturbed by it. While I do think these people are just douches, those people are generally the ones with the power... the ones we elect. Therefore we'd be hypocrites to challenge their opinions.
That's like saying that Adolf Hitler was right to attempt to eradicate Jewish folk, since he was basically given the role of dictator by elected politicians.

EDIT: In other words, just because douchebags currently have power does not make them right. What if the roles were reversed, and heterosexual people weren't allowed to marry, had no other recourse to grant their estates and benefits to their loved ones, and were generally spat on by the majority homosexual rule? Would you still hold your position?

While I do hate this fact, what needs to be recognized is that there's a reason that homosexuals are/were more or less disliked--because there are people who are extremely against this/disturbed by it. While I do think these people are just douches, those people are generally the ones with the power... the ones we elect.
Sadly, it's true. Most politicians are afraid to act on anything regarding same sex marriage, as they'd rather keep their power. However, I find it hilarious when I hear about a local area politician who supports gay rights, and passes several laws to better the lives of same sex couples, and their approval rating shoots through the damn roof, and they end up getting re-elected by a landslide vote. It makes me believe that if the US had one leader with the grapes to say "Fuck you. Everyone deserves to be happy.", that they'd be re-elected, get a monument built in their honor, and get their own National Holiday.

Sadly, it's true. Most politicians are afraid to act on anything regarding same sex marriage, as they'd rather keep their power. However, I find it hilarious when I hear about a local area politician who supports gay rights, and passes several laws to better the lives of same sex couples, and their approval rating shoots through the damn roof, and they end up getting re-elected by a landslide vote. It makes me believe that if the US had one leader with the grapes to say "Fuck you. Everyone deserves to be happy.", that they'd be re-elected, get a monument built in their honor, and get their own National Holiday.
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/politics/2012/05/09/sot-obama-same-sex-marriage.cnn.html

*cough*

(media type not supported, sorry)

............ Shows how much I really pay attention to the politics in this country, huh?

EDIT: What I meant in my post was that if someone in power put their foot down, rather than shy away, I'm sure more progress would have been made by this point in time. Yes, we have a few states that allow it, and the number grows a bit every year, but why only a small amount? I understand there are people who believe marriage is supposed to be a sacred thing between a man and a woman, but let's be honest here. Marriage isn't about the people involved in it. It is about the unification of two lives. A bond acknowledged by the place they call home. I still don't understand why marriage even has to be something that needs legalization. /shrugs - Maybe I just don't see it, but to me, I have no idea why a piece of paper stating that two people are together is even necessary.

If I were gay, and I adopted a kid with my "boyfriend" and he goes over to his friends house, and questions the fact that his friend has a female mom, or watches TV and notices the general household structure, it would be extremely difficult to explain something like that..

Why is that more awkward or difficult to explain that if you were a single father and your son's friend has two happily married parents?

You could make the same argument against interracial couples too. It's only awkward to explain if you believe there's something intrinsically wrong with it in the first place.

The point I was making was that same-sex couples are only discriminated against because they're marked out as different. Look at how much discrimination single parents or interracial couples have faced in the past. As people stop thinking of these things as abnormal and accept them, then discriminating against them becomes more and more absurd.

Perhaps one day people will think that discrimination against same-sex relationships sounds as absurd as discriminating against couples who have the same eye colour sounds to us today. It's hard to construct a solid argument in favour of discrimination, which is why so many progressive societies are moving towards social acceptance and full legal equality in this matter.

Back