The LGBT Thread

............ Shows how much I really pay attention to the politics in this country, huh?
Evidently so, considering I'm not even IN that country :p

I would assume that were Obama a dictator, the US would likely be much better off. As it stands, he has a limited number of vetoes per term, and obviously cannot fix all of the issues the US has, many of which are obviously much more pressing than non-heterosexual marriage. That's not to say it shouldn't be seriously addressed, just that there are more important issues, such as removing most of the NSA's power or supplying health care to everyone (which would have worked if it weren't for the RvD bullshit....again). In my personal opinion, the US needs a 1-year limited dictatorship.

Lets get back onto to the real topic, anybody now when the Day of Silence is? Is the date announced for it yet?

image.jpg

This is also in the image thread, but I'm posting it here because of relevancy.

That's like saying that Adolf Hitler was right to attempt to eradicate Jewish folk, since he was basically given the role of dictator by elected politicians.

EDIT: In other words, just because douchebags currently have power does not make them right. What if the roles were reversed, and heterosexual people weren't allowed to marry, had no other recourse to grant their estates and benefits to their loved ones, and were generally spat on by the majority homosexual rule? Would you still hold your position?
Sorry to revive, but I just realized that I never replied to this. If I were the one being oppressed with heterosexuality, I would still pursue it under the law, but not against it. Whether it had to do with religion or personal values. I wouldn't believe the law should be changed. (Difficult place to put myself into, because I haven't been in this situation). (Although the scientific inefficiency would probably bug me.)
Everyone should just try to be congenial and conform, at least on the outside. That, of course, is just me projecting myself into that situation with my current disposition. I don't really know for sure how I'd act.

Don't make this into a wrong/right issue. That is a debate impossible to find an answer to. But if you're the one in power, you have every right to use it. The world just sucks, only those with power get to follow their ideals and values. And that's just the way it is.

EDIT: To clarify, I have utmost respect for current homosexuals that are relatively passive, but not the ones that insult other beliefs. I have several friends that are homosexual, and by no means am I homophobic. I just believe everyone should try to be as frictionless as possible. (Also known as a blind follower, but I prefer to call it knowing my place)

in case this hasn't been shared, here you go :)
Yeah, the sicking part is that this is how homosexuals are treated currently, (well, not that I've seen, people at my school a fairly accepting, but I know it happens.)

I don't understand why people can't be accepting at a social level. Leave the discrimination to the politicians. But, like I said, the world sucks, and since being Heterosexual is the majority, this seems to just be the way things are. Bullys are also guilty of my "crime" (of not accepting the way things/people are).

Can't people just avoid causing conflict at all?

Sorry to revive, but I just realized that I never replied to this. If I were the one being oppressed with heterosexuality, I would still pursue it under the law, but not against it. Whether it had to do with religion or personal values. I wouldn't believe the law should be changed. (Difficult place to put myself into, because I haven't been in this situation). Everyone should just try to be congenial and conform, at least on the outside. That, of course, is just me projecting myself into that situation with my current disposition. I don't really know for sure how I'd act.

Don't make this into a wrong/right issue. That is a debate impossible to find an answer to. But if you're the one in power, you have every right to use it. The world just sucks, only those with power get to follow their ideals and values. And that's just the way it is.

EDIT: To clarify, I have utmost respect for current homosexuals that are relatively passive, but not the ones that insult other beliefs. I have several friends that are homosexual, and by no means am I homophobic. I just believe everyone should try to be as frictionless as possible.

I understand that your previous post was about the "social awkwardness" that lie in society with progressing homosexuality and that what if, for example, a guy that needs to go to the restroom goes into the girls' bathroom because he knows to himself to be gay, then it is weird. However, recognize that this should not hinder the guy from entering the girls' restroom because of whatever the law says. As it was stated, just because something is law does not mean it is morally right. A certain sort of moral ethics is deemed higher in individuals rather than law if the individuals find the law contradictory to their beliefs. Also, there is a growing number of homosexuality in society today. It cannot be "fixed" as there is nothing to "fix" when our genetics tells us to love the same gender or act opposite your own gender. It's normal because I believe that nature most likely has won the case for this rather than nurture for our development and growth.

Also, along with this, there is a growing rise of different forms of sexual orientation. Not just a woman liking a woman or a guy liking a guy. The best way I like to think of it is the transgender umbrella. There are those who are transsexual, cross-gender dressing, ambiguously gendered (or for the old term "hermaphroditic"), gender reassigned, pansexual, and probably more I can't mention at the moment. The fact is, the government and religion may have the "power" to rule what should be the "norm" of society, but it cannot take away the right of whom we can and cannot love. That is our choice and not theirs. All I can say on this issue is that to any government that is not aware of this issue on gay marriage and choose to prohibit it, it's not going to stop them from doing whatever they can to raise awareness. That they can still do something about it and, yeah, maybe they are different from the said "norm", but at least for that they should be proud and left alone for who they are. Why can't we accept the love for anyone no matter what they are or what orientation they have. It should simply be that we should love who we want to love. That's it. Really when it comes down to it. Nothing else.

I found this video that made me think deeply about homosexuality and that it's okay to be different, and it's only folly to criticize it.

Edit: Oh lol Motorkat beat me to the vid XD
Oh well =P

To be completely honest, people won't care that it's legal or illegal to marry when they are gay, lesbian or transgender. They'll still go and get married, be it in a church or in their own backyard. I know for a fact two of my good friends, who are gay, were recently wed. Paper work and Law doesn't define marriage, the connection between the two people does.
I also know that if someone were to publicly discriminate against a transgender, gay, lesbian or someone who isn't heterosexual at my TAFE [ as an example ] it would be received with a heated argument on how single minded that person was. I, personally thing it's a bit harsh how people react to homophobic at my TAFE but at least everyone is treated as equals and teachers even ask everyone in the class if they have preferred pronouns.
Being Agender/Genderless, I tell my teachers they're welcome to call me by any pronoun they feel comfortable with, since I answer to both male and female pronouns and even gender neutral ones if they know them. All teachers were very understanding and treated me no different from any other members in the class. Even my fellow classmates don't mind that I'm Agender, though I find myself explaining the meaning of Agender a lot.
I fully support LGBT and hope, anyway, that LGBT marriage is legalized in Australia.

To be completely honest, people won't care that it's legal or illegal to marry when they are gay, lesbian or transgender. They'll still go and get married, be it in a church or in their own backyard. I know for a fact two of my good friends, who are gay, were recently wed. Paper work and Law doesn't define marriage, the connection between the two people does.
I also know that if someone were to publicly discriminate against a transgender, gay, lesbian or someone who isn't heterosexual at my TAFE [ as an example ] it would be received with a heated argument on how single minded that person was. I, personally thing it's a bit harsh how people react to homophobic at my TAFE but at least everyone is treated as equals and teachers even ask everyone in the class if they have preferred pronouns.
Being Agender/Genderless, I tell my teachers they're welcome to call me by any pronoun they feel comfortable with, since I answer to both male and female pronouns and even gender neutral ones if they know them. All teachers were very understanding and treated me no different from any other members in the class. Even my fellow classmates don't mind that I'm Agender, though I find myself explaining the meaning of Agender a lot.
I fully support LGBT and hope, anyway, that LGBT marriage is legalized in Australia.
I Googled it, but what is an Agender exactly, from a personal perspective?
I have a friend who just told me he was bigender/cross dressed and that has made me very interested in all of this other gender stuffs. Also what is a TAFE?

I Googled it, but what is an Agender exactly, from a personal perspective?
I have a friend who just told me he was bigender/cross dressed and that has made me very interested in all of this other gender stuffs. Also what is a TAFE?
Well, my Agender means I don't identify by a gender. It's also called Genderless or Genderfluid, meaning you can be male and female.
Bigender is another term for Agender, but the initial meaning can change depending on the person. You should ask your friend what Bigender defines for him.
TAFE is another form of tertiary education in Australia, since usually when someone graduates from Highschool they either go straight to work or go to Uni [though Uni is very expensive in Aus']. Though if you leave Highschool early you can attend TAFE instead. It's just a more refined education than Highschool.

in case this hasn't been shared, here you go :)

I nearly cried after watching this. It really hit close to home because a majority of the things that happened in that video, actually happened to me.

Also, my religion teacher saw me watching this, and he said "That's sad. Why would anyone bully a kid to that point?" I don't think he knows what the video was really about though.

After a shocking incident there has been increasing discussion about the people who consider themselves agender. As part of a story on this, San Francisco Magazine commissioned a bunch of photos for their article and the photographer, Chloe Aftel, has put them on her website. It's a very interesting look at the lives of agender identifying people and hopefully will start a proper discussion about the topic and hopefully lead to general acceptance from the community at large.

So yesterday I was discriminated against for the first time in my life for my sexuality. Atleast that I know of. I was all set to go to summerfest for the weekend, and I was planning on staying the night at my best friends house for a night or two. However, his dad finds out that I am bi-sexual, and I am no longer able to be friends with him according to him. It really hurt to see that people are still so offence towards things like this, despite the widespread knowledge and acceptance for where I reside.

So yesterday I was discriminated against for the first time in my life for my sexuality. Atleast that I know of. I was all set to go to summerfest for the weekend, and I was planning on staying the night at my best friends house for a night or two. However, his dad finds out that I am bi-sexual, and I am no longer able to be friends with him according to him. It really hurt to see that people are still so offence towards things like this, despite the widespread knowledge and acceptance for where I reside.

It's everywhere unfortunately, even when you think everyone is accepting and loving. But his dad is not the ruler of your life or relationships. If you still want to be best friends, his dad can't stop you guys from doing so.

Back