What is the purpose in life?

Speaking of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

My views:

The purpose of life implies that life was given a purpose, implying that at least one entity existed to give the purpose. Such a question would be very simple if, say, human life was somehow designed by an already existing life form - then we could just ask them. If not an already existing life form, then the giver of this purpose would be an entity or entities that would, in lieu of a more specific description, basically have the qualities of a god or gods. This raises the question of deities, the existence of which scientifically can't be measured or tested (in some cases, religiously as well, for example: "You shall not test the LORD your God").

If, however, life has no purpose, then how would one go about proving so? If the idea of purpose is tied in with an entity giving the purpose, as was stated above, the answer most likely relies upon the existence of a deity, leading to all the issues regarding the existence of one.

Finding such a purpose scientifically, from my perspective, seems fruitless. That's why I'm more comfortable with taking some sort of faith approach. The way I see it, if I know there's no way of finding such an answer logically, then I don't have much to lose by taking a shot in the dark with a religious perspective.

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." - Mathew 5:14-16

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." - 2 Timothy 3:16-17

"Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit," - Ephesians 5:18

“Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you suddenly like a trap." - Luke 21:34

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

God would not send His Son to die on the cross to save us (more specifically, those who come to repentance) from a place that doesn't exist, nor would it be referenced over 50 times in the Bible as an actual place. Jesus was one to speak in parables at times, but He never distorted the hard truth. Besides, if Hell didn't exist, there would be no punishment for sin (which means God would not be a good, holy, and just God) and there would be no reward in Heaven.

- - -

God bless. :)
1. I let my actions speak for themselves. If people are open, I speak with them. I do not, however, go pushing my faith around like a sledgehammer.
2. The Scripture may follow from the breath of God, but that does not mean that Man has not already perverted it. There are plenty of books that were arguably authored by the Most High, but never made it into the Bible. Many of them include allowances for casual indulgences, provided we stay in control of ourselves.
3. Debauchery isn't something I partake in while drunk. Ever.
4. I am always careful.
5. In that exact verse, you'll notice it does not reference Hell as a place. Also, there are plenty of arguments that show that Hell was a location just outside of cities where they sent lepers and other noticeably diseased people to live. These arguments hold that when Hell was referenced as a place, it was using that part of the city as an example of what it might be like to be non-existent for eternity; for the diseased were ignored by the main populace. I tend to agree with these points, since there are far more references to an eternal death (ie. the soul ceases to exist) than to Hell as an actual location.
6. You should be more careful about using finality in your statements, particularly since you do not know the mind of God and so cannot be sure. I believe God sent His Son to allow us to be with Him for eternity; rather than merely cease to exist. Any sort of afterlife is better than none, in my opinion; so simply becoming non-existent is a much scarier thought than dying and being reborn in eternal pain.

- - -

You as well :)

1. This is correct, but you said you do things the Bible forbids (yes, we all sin from time to time, but it seems you recognize these particular sins as OK as long as it is in moderation and because you don't believe the entire Bible is complete truth).

2. Some translations do change it incorrectly, yes. But it is illogical to think that God would give us the truths of the Bible only to have all of them messed up so we are forced to pick and choose what we think is right, rather than rely on the infallibility of the Scriptures.

3. Ephesians 5:18 says that drunkeness leads to debauchery, not that it is the reason why we shouldn't be drunk. If there was a "because" in that verse I would agree then, but there isn't. Also,

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." - 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Would it be honorable to get drunk?

Please, I don't want to sound like a condemning preacher, but as a helper. Think of my words in that respect and this conversation will go awesomely well. :biggrin:

4. Do you think it is better to partake in dishonorable things in moderation ("being careful") or to avoid them entirely (I'm talking in general, here)?

5. Yes, it doesn't. I decided to use a verse where my other points would apply, and a verse you might instantly recognize. I will, however, continue this part of the discussion soon, as my school work is quite overwhelming.

6. Yes, I shouldn't use finality in my statements and I don't know the mind of God, but if I'm quoting truths in Scripture, they are the final say, unless you believe the Scriptures are fallible.

Also, ceasing to exist is much better than eternal torment. With no existence, there would be no consequence for one's actions. With the *reality* of Hell, there would be consequences, and it would be eternal in its punishment for those who reject God's mercy. Many people think "Hell is on earth", but it is not. On earth, you can die to get rid of all the pain you experience here. Yet in Hell, there is no escape from pain.

"And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal." - Mathew 25:46

and...

"And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever; and they have no rest day nor night..." - Revelation 14:11

I know this may bring despair to a lot of people, but do not live in fear, for there is hope:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

What if the "unknown" could be known? Would you wish to know?

So... it seems you're pro-tolerance - "what may be truth for you is not truth for me, but everyone is right as long as they believe in something". Is that what you believe?

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." - Mathew 5:14-16

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." - 2 Timothy 3:16-17

"Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit," - Ephesians 5:18

“Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you suddenly like a trap." - Luke 21:34

God would not send His Son to die on the cross to save us (more specifically, those who come to repentance) from a place that doesn't exist, nor would it be referenced over 50 times in the Bible as an actual place. Jesus was one to speak in parables at times, but He never distorted the hard truth. Besides, if Hell didn't exist, there would be no punishment for sin (which means God would not be a good, holy, and just God) and there would be no reward in Heaven.

- - -

God bless. :)
i belive in tolerance of others nuff said

Do you believe there is an afterlife?
That's a good one.

Putting theology aside, I find it hard to believe that there isn't an afterlife.

But here's some food for thought: if the afterlife, or an afterlife, didn't exist, I guess we wouldn't care about it... Because we would be dead.

Also, I'm positively dying for you to respond to my >2000 word response earlier on in this thread. ;)

What is the purpose in life? do a barrel roll
barrel-roll-horse.gif

gives life more meaning :)

What do you think of Christianity, in particular? How does it fit in your view of tolerance?

Also, do you believe there is an afterlife?
i belive that cristianity as a religon is fine as long as you dont go extreme. dont go hating on gays or people of different belife because if your god exist (not saying that he/she doesnt) he should be ashamed that you cant co exist over a different therory of him. however i do not belive in what you do and i probably never will (i cant accept it sorry). I can belive that a afterlife could exist in a sense. if your conchenceness can survivle without oxigen however it is only illutionating due to no lack then you could have a afterlife but it would be a dream and if you want to take hell into prespective if you have a gilty conchence you may have a bad dream keep in mind not only is this a therory but it doesnt show any proof that god exist or doesnt. i guess he could exist if he is in your as ill refer to it as "everlasting dream" but thats if your mind before it is illliminated decieds to see god in your dream. and yes this is my explination for the people who claim to have seen god or dead family. i hope this answered your question

That's a good one.

Putting theology aside, I find it hard to believe that there isn't an afterlife.

But here's some food for thought: if the afterlife, or an afterlife, didn't exist, I guess we wouldn't care about it... Because we would be dead.

Also, I'm positively dying for you to respond to my >2000 word response earlier on in this thread. ;)
Yes, we wouldn't care about it after we die, but perhaps we'd care about it before our deaths... because we would still want meaning in our lives that transcends the material realm.

I'll try and get to your response soon, but I am really busy with school work, and I'll be on vacation for awhile, so that might have to wait till next Monday or so. :)

Of course. There's really no way of knowing if the universe is even.. well, there, existing, if we don't have an explanation for it.
True. We do, however, have explanations.

Hell = Total separation from God, a temporary place of punishment before God's Judgement
Lake of Fire = Second death, final and eternal place of punishment

There is an afterlife and there is to a thing as a fiery pit of eternal damnation; even (obviously) for humans.
"And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death." Rev. 20:14

Interesting... I never thought of them as separate places...

i belive that cristianity as a religon is fine as long as you dont go extreme. dont go hating on gays or people of different belife because if your god exist (not saying that he/she doesnt) he should be ashamed that you cant co exist over a different therory of him. however i do not belive in what you do and i probably never will (i cant accept it sorry). I can belive that a afterlife could exist in a sense. if your conchenceness can survivle without oxigen however it is only illutionating due to no lack then you could have a afterlife but it would be a dream and if you want to take hell into prespective if you have a gilty conchence you may have a bad dream keep in mind not only is this a therory but it doesnt show any proof that god exist or doesnt. i guess he could exist if he is in your as ill refer to it as "everlasting dream" but thats if your mind before it is illliminated decieds to see god in your dream. and yes this is my explination for the people who claim to have seen god or dead family. i hope this answered your question
So your worldview is tolerance, but you don't like when a worldview shows intolerance (such as to a believer of Christianity)? I don't mean "hating" people, but I mean a set of beliefs that allows certain things, and rejects others, considerably more than most religious systems (i.e. Christianity).

Yes, we wouldn't care about it after we die, but perhaps we'd care about it before our deaths... because we would still want meaning in our lives that transcends the material realm.

I'll try and get to your response soon, but I am really busy with school work, and I be on vacation for awhile, so that might have to wait till next Monday or so. :)

True. We do, however, have explanations.

Interesting... I never thought of them as separate places...

So your worldview is tolerance, but you don't like when a worldview shows intolerance (such as to a believer of Christianity)? I don't mean "hating" people, but I mean a set of beliefs that allows certain things, and rejects others, considerably more than most religious systems (i.e. Christianity).
yep

Wouldn't that be intolerance then, because you are intolerant of an intolerant view?

Yes, and I respect the idea of a God, or any other scientific theories that come up.
So... faith in science, perhaps?

- - -

Also, just something I thought of while viewing the political candidates' religious views, I noticed many of them said "non-practicing". I don't see how anyone can call themselves a "Christian" or a "Catholic" or a "Muslim" and say they're a "non-practicing" whatever. It doesn't even make sense. That's like if I told you I'm a pro football player, but I'm non-practicing. I call myself a pro football player, I just don't play. I only believe I'm a pro football player.

See what I'm getting at here?

Or how about if I said I was a "non-practicing" doctor? That would be a scary prospect. Could you imagine being in the emergency room and then a "doctor" comes up to you and says he's never practiced being a doctor before (or isn't currently practicing to be a doctor)? Yet he still calls himself a doctor? Would you call him a doctor? Or a liar?

Just something I thought of while viewing the political candidates' religious views, I noticed many of them said "non-practicing". I don't see how anyone can call themselves a "Christian" or a "Catholic" or a "Muslim" and say they're a "non-practicing" whatever. It doesn't even make sense. That's like if I told you I'm a pro football player, but I'm non-practicing. I call myself a pro football player, I just don't play. I only believe I'm a pro football player.

See what I'm getting at here?

Or how about if I said I was a "non-practicing" doctor? That would be a scary prospect. Could you imagine being in the emergency room and then a "doctor" comes up to you and says he's never practiced being a doctor before (or isn't currently practicing to be a doctor)? Yet he still calls himself a doctor? Would you call him a doctor? Or a liar?

I agree.
It comes across as almost ignorance or just laziness. It's like, "I don't really practice religion or really believe in it, but nominally I'm Christian, I suppose."

Also, since when did religion become a deciding factor in electing politicians?

people need to make sure they don't start saying "because god did this" and phrases like those without making it clear that they are portraying their beliefs only rather than stating them as facts.

lot's of people like me get really pissy about shit like that and it takes the intelligence out of this thread.

I agree.
Also, since when did religion become a deciding factor in electing politicians?

I think it's moderately important. It defines who they are and how they will make their future decisions. For example, a Muslim President would make completely different decisions in foreign policy than a Catholic President.

people need to make sure they don't start saying "because god did this" and phrases like those without making it clear that they are portraying their beliefs only rather than stating them as facts.

lot's of people like me get really pissy about shit like that and it takes the intelligence out of this thread.
I agree, but if you are indirectly talking to anyone of us, please state who you are mentioning so we can do better rather than be left in the dark. :)

What is the purpose in life? do a barrel roll
barrel-roll-horse.gif

gives life more meaning :)

ok that was probably meaningless, but I guess I'll tell you in short my way of thinking and very simple:
Live Well, Love Much and Laugh Often.... responsibly.

Now why do i say responsibly? well because often people think live well is to go all out.
and what probably may happen is your going to end your life soon since there is no restart button.
so if you like to race, do it like the pro's and not on the streets, find love and not on hookers, laugh good
times with real friends and not those that get you wasted.
Find things that are true good Quality in life and you'll enjoy it.
life is to short to live sour so try making it sweet :)

Be polite, take good care, use common sense, educate yourself as much as possible, respect to be respected .... And God help us!

ok that was probably meaningless, but I guess I'll tell you in short my way of thinking and very simple:
Live Well, Love Much and Laugh Often.... responsibly.

Now why do i say responsibly? well because often people think live well is to go all out.
and what probably may happen is your going to end your life soon since there is no restart button.
so if you like to race, do it like the pro's and not on the streets, find love and not on hookers, laugh good
times with real friends and not those that get you wasted.
Find things that are true good Quality in life and you'll enjoy it.
life is to short to live sour so try making it sweet :)

Be polite, take good care, use common sense, educate yourself as much as possible, respect to be respected .... And God help us!

"And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry." - Luke 12:19

Would this fit your view?

:)

Back