What is the purpose in life?

Do you believe the ultimate purpose in life can be knowable or is it beyond man's comprehension altogether? It appears you believe a purpose in life does exist, the only exception being that said purpose is subjective to man's thinking.
I think that humans are capable of many things, but If we are referring to "the ultimate purpose," then no, I think that it will remain as unknown as how time started, how matter was created, and how life was created. I do not support the Big Bang Theory, as it still states that everything was created from nothing. I also don't want to get into my views on religion, for obvious reasons.

I've always wondered about the Question... if the Answer if 42, what could possibly be the Question? :p
Exactly!" said Deep Thought. "So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the answer means
“I'm afraid,” he said at last, “that the Question and the Answer are mutually exclusive. Knowledge of one logically precludes knowledge of the other. It is impossible that both can ever be known about the same Universe.
The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy also mentions alcohol. It says that the best drink in existence is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, the effect of which is like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.
I very much want my brother to find out how to pour that drink....

I think that humans are capable of many things, but If we are referring to "the ultimate purpose," then no, I think that it will remain as unknown as how time started, how matter was created, and how life was created. I do not support the Big Bang Theory, as it still states that everything was created from nothing. I also don't want to get into my views on religion, for obvious reasons.
grasp to what you belive in be it religon or some other lesser know dieity or science or lord Xenu for all i care if it makes you happy then none shall interfer with it *instert cristan hate here* nobodys belife is more important or all powerful than the other and you are not better than others who belive something else thats my say on anything religous or spirtual and thats all it should be no wars over my god is better than your god or my science is more right than your science it really doesnt matter pointless blood spilled over something with little proof (ever science is just therories and i am aethist and i still think science has little proof)

grasp to what you belive in be it religon or some other lesser know dieity or science or lord Xenu for all i care if it makes you happy then none shall interfer with it *instert cristan hate here* nobodys belife is more important or all powerful than the other and you are not better than others who belive something else thats my say on anything religous or spirtual and thats all it should be no wars over my god is better than your god or my science is more right than your science it really doesnt matter pointless blood spilled over something with little proof (ever science is just therories and i am aethist and i still think science has little proof)
And that is why I said that I DIDN'T want to get into my religious views. I never even mentioned what I believe in. I... don't really understand your post.

Gandhi said:
I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians.

I consider myself Christian. I also tend to keep that under wraps to avoid the instant criticism and hatred directed towards me when I mention it anywhere but a church or other fellowship gathering. Most people calling themselves Christian are living a lie. Nowhere does our faith teach that we must force it on others. Debate if we must, but always kindly and respectfully with regards to other people's beliefs. Our faith shows in the way we live. If someone is constantly (and I must emphasize that, for we all make mistakes) overbearing and obnoxiously proselytizing, then you can rightly assume they are not Christian, no matter what they say. Christians strive to be Christ-like; and Christ was not anything like what most people think of when they hear the word Christian.

On the other hand, I do not follow the Scriptures to the letter as many of my fellow believers would like me to. I personally believe that we should partake of the pleasures of life so long as we are respectful of ourselves and others, and only partake in moderation. As an example, I am an avid drinker. I will drink to the point where many would be incapable of speech, standing, or even scratching their ass. However, when I am drunk, I am generally even more calm and peaceful, because I know I am much more likely to perform a particularly foolish action. And I know my limits. Having been drinking from a young age, I can tolerate a much larger amount of alcohol than the average person. I also enjoy extra-marital intercourse, using harsh language, getting tattoos, and many other things that the Bible forbids. However, my personal faith transcends the outdated words in the Scriptures.

Remember: Christians are not bad people. People who claim to be Christians but do not portray the most important aspect of Christ (restraint) are liars and will be forever separated from the Lord (the real definition of Hell is actually simply to die, and have no afterlife; there is no such thing as a fiery pit of eternal damnation; at least, not for us humans).

/rebuttal

I consider myself Christian. I also tend to keep that under wraps to avoid the instant criticism and hatred directed towards me when I mention it anywhere but a church or other fellowship gathering. Most people calling themselves Christian are living a lie. Nowhere does our faith teach that we must force it on others. Debate if we must, but always kindly and respectfully with regards to other people's beliefs. Our faith shows in the way we live. If someone is constantly (and I must emphasize that, for we all make mistakes) overbearing and obnoxiously proselytizing, then you can rightly assume they are not Christian, no matter what they say. Christians strive to be Christ-like; and Christ was not anything like what most people think of when they hear the word Christian.

On the other hand, I do not follow the Scriptures to the letter as many of my fellow believers would like me to. I personally believe that we should partake of the pleasures of life so long as we are respectful of ourselves and others, and only partake in moderation. As an example, I am an avid drinker. I will drink to the point where many would be incapable of speech, standing, or even scratching their ass. However, when I am drunk, I am generally even more calm and peaceful, because I know I am much more likely to perform a particularly foolish action. And I know my limits. Having been drinking from a young age, I can tolerate a much larger amount of alcohol than the average person. I also enjoy extra-marital intercourse, using harsh language, getting tattoos, and many other things that the Bible forbids. However, my personal faith transcends the outdated words in the Scriptures.

Remember: Christians are not bad people. People who claim to be Christians but do not portray the most important aspect of Christ (restraint) are liars and will be forever separated from the Lord (the real definition of Hell is actually simply to die, and have no afterlife; there is no such thing as a fiery pit of eternal damnation; at least, not for us humans).

/rebuttal
this was mainly to overactive cristans (i get so much hate form a group of cristans at school who think there religon is better than anything in the universe) sorry if i offened you

And that is why I said that I DIDN'T want to get into my religious views. I never even mentioned what I believe in. I... don't really understand your post.
Perhaps I'll translate.
Cling to what you believe in, be it the Christian God, or some other lesser known deity, or science or Scientology's Lord Xenu for all I care. If it makes you happy then no-one should interfere with it *insert Christian hate here*. Nobody's belief is more important or more powerful than the other, and you are not better than others who believe in something else. That's my say on the matter, and that's all it should be. No wars over "My god is better than your god," or"My science is more right than your science". It really doesn't matter... Pointless blood spilled over something with little proof. (Even science is just theories... I am an Athiest, and I still think science has little proof.)

I understood what he said, I just didn't know why he said it. I never once said that I was a Christian, and wanted to avoid the subject entirely.
Yeah, it is a bit of a random outburst, but that's Babybacon for ya. But it does have some truth in it.

i never said you were a cristan i just said as you said that you are religous
Wrong. I said that I didn't want to bring up my religious views, which are indeed atheist in nature. ANYTHING involving religion just turns a thread into a shitstorm of irrelevance.

What if the "unknown" could be known? Would you wish to know?

So... it seems you're pro-tolerance - "what may be truth for you is not truth for me, but everyone is right as long as they believe in something". Is that what you believe?

I consider myself Christian. I also tend to keep that under wraps to avoid the instant criticism and hatred directed towards me when I mention it anywhere but a church or other fellowship gathering.
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." - Mathew 5:14-16

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." - 2 Timothy 3:16-17

"Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit," - Ephesians 5:18

“Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you suddenly like a trap." - Luke 21:34
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

God would not send His Son to die on the cross to save us (more specifically, those who come to repentance) from a place that doesn't exist, nor would it be referenced over 50 times in the Bible as an actual place. Jesus was one to speak in parables at times, but He never distorted the hard truth. Besides, if Hell didn't exist, there would be no punishment for sin (which means God would not be a good, holy, and just God) and there would be no reward in Heaven.

- - -

God bless. :)

I think everyone can benefit from learning how to live their lives from sheep. They enjoy every moment of their lives, munching around and being sheepish. Sometimes the herd may follow another sheep that jumps off a cliff, but they do so in style that catches the envy of the world.

Back