Gun and Gun Hobbiest thread revival

Query: What's the point of a scope/red dot sight on a handgun? They make the gun look kind of bulky and unwieldy. The added size also makes potential concealment virtually impossible.
Answer: On some handguns the original factory sights can be difficult to see and or use properly, and thus an added sight can assist in proper aiming of the weapon. They are for practicality and usability, rather than for looks.

Our newest additions to the "family":

Pixiel's S&W .22
XWNMq.jpg

7Ogzd.jpg

Our dad's new Mossberg 500 12ga. "Chainsaw"
njPKm.jpg

DbIZD.jpg

[collapse=]
Zombie apocalypse?

Choose your weapon :D

d8ZoN.jpg

[/collapse]

Query: What's the point of a scope/red dot sight on a handgun? They make the gun look kind of bulky and unwieldy. The added size also makes potential concealment virtually impossible.
on most hand guns, it would be dumb...but on the small caliber .22 which is only used for plinking cans at a range a red dot helps a bit when trying to hit your target. concealment is not a factor in these type of guns.

Personally I am a fan of iron sights, but my red dot is pretty awesome.

Answer: On some handguns the original factory sights can be difficult to see and or use properly, and thus an added sight can assist in proper aiming of the weapon. They are for practicality and usability, rather than for looks.

Pixiel's S&W .22
XWNMq.jpg

7Ogzd.jpg

njPKm.jpg

DbIZD.jpg

[collapse=]
Zombie apocalypse?

d8ZoN.jpg

[/collapse]

AHAHAHAHA you got the shotsaw!!

Pixiel's S&W .22
XWNMq.jpg

7Ogzd.jpg

njPKm.jpg

DbIZD.jpg

[collapse=]
Zombie apocalypse?

d8ZoN.jpg

[/collapse]

Sure, I can see maybe changing the sights on the gun to maybe some other sights, but a scope implies someone who will use the gun for firing at targets a considerable distance down-range (say, 50+ yards). If you're wanting a weapon to fire accurately at that range, why not buy a rifle?

A red dot sight...I feel like if you're buying a red dot sight, you need it for quick sighting and shooting (tactical situations). Maybe I'm a purist, or whatever, but I feel like adding things like that on a handgun are not necessary for a civilian for sport shooting or self defense.

Also, I think I would be creeped out going into your home. Those dolls... so creepy...

Maybe I'm a purist, or whatever, but I feel like adding things like that on a handgun are not necessary for a civilian for sport shooting or self defense.

Also, I think I would be creeped out going into your home. Those dolls... so creepy...
The irons on my Parker are quite strange, and the first picture makes it look easier to see the targets through them, when in reality the entire area is blocked by the black part of the front sight when looking down them.

FbVKa.jpg

If there was a way for me to add a new sight to it, I would in a heartbeat. But there is no possible way with this firearm.

JwtNR.jpg

VaBp5.jpg

Also, blame our mother for her ridiculous doll collection. :P

I'm going to get my first handgun sometime after Tax Season (IF I have any money left after the IRS takes its huge fu*king cut).

Looking at getting either a Glock 19 or a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

so here is me.
brr.jpg

and me being incredibly stupid and having a good time
http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g333/bracmagi/?action=view&current=MVI_1955.mp4

so here is me.
brr.jpg

and me being incredibly stupid and having a good time
http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g333/bracmagi/?action=view&current=MVI_1955.mp4
You look like a commando stripper

That's really a triple entendre because that implies that you are not only a gunman / stripper
But you a stripper who doesn't even bother stripping and just goes in naked with guns blazing
And by guns I can mean either your muscles or your gun.

Dude

I'm going to get my first handgun sometime after Tax Season (IF I have any money left after the IRS takes its huge fu*king cut).

Looking at getting either a Glock 19 or a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Both are good guns...you will pay more for the m&p because you are paying for the name. I would go with the glock personally, because of the reliability of the weapon. You should also look at a couple other guns. The Kel-Tec P11 which is a double stacked 9mm and the berretta px storm 9mm. both are good guns and worth taking a look at.

Will do that. I'm also thinking about, at least, starting out with a .22 SR Ruger or Ruger Mark III Standard Rimfire Pistol, at least for target shooting, and in the worst case scenario, for protection against a home invasion. Chances of that are low, considering all thing, but anything is possible with unsavory people just living up the road from me.

Will do that. I'm also thinking about, at least, starting out with a .22 SR Ruger or Ruger Mark III Standard Rimfire Pistol, at least for target shooting, and in the worst case scenario, for protection against a home invasion. Chances of that are low, considering all thing, but anything is possible with unsavory people just living up the road from me.

The Mark III (or if you can find a nice used mark II they are better) is the way to go. I <3 mine and you can get an Ultimate Clip Loader for it. Although 22 lr is getting stupid hard to find. Gander had some nice HV stuff on sale starting yesterd, all of it gone today already :(

One thing I like about the Ruger Mark II & II is the design and appearance of it. The Ruger looks a lot like the old German Lugers.

I like it.

I get to shoot my fathers SKS tomorrow, and hopefully a variety of guns as well. He received an original replacement stock so it is now almost 100% Yugoslavian. As it turns out you either need to have over 10 parts US made, or your SKS must be 100% foreign made in order for it to be legal. The logic of this, I do not understand.

I do not recommend using a 22 for anything except target shooting....home defense you want to go with a 9mm or higher caliber because when it comes down to it, you will want to end the fight quickly.....22 just will not always do the job. The mark III is a good one, but I have a little tarus p22 that we affectionately have named "rufus" and that little thing is adorable and fun.....also I do not think I have posted pics of it, so I will do that soon.

Well, I want something that I can own, have fun shooting and isn'tthat expensive when it comes to ammunition and the gun itself. I (as in my family/household ) already own two .30-30 (one Marlin the other Winchester) [the Marlin is mine] A .30-06, .270 Remington, 2 .410 shotguns, a 12-Gauge, a 20 Gauge, and an AR-15. We also have a few handguns, three my grandfathers, one my grandmothers. I have access to them, but it is not the same.

I do not recommend using a 22 for anything except target shooting....home defense you want to go with a 9mm or higher caliber because when it comes down to it, you will want to end the fight quickly.....22 just will not always do the job. The mark III is a good one, but I have a little tarus p22 that we affectionately have named "rufus" and that little thing is adorable and fun.....also I do not think I have posted pics of it, so I will do that soon.
I'll stick to my .22 for home protection. I'm not looking to kill, just mame. A well placed shot to a hand, shoulder, or knee will do just fine. Besides, the power of a .22 LR is underestimated.

Back