My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

10/10, came buckets of ramen, emmy worthy, number 1 top 10 music of the month, made me to tears from laughter, my sides are beyond orbit

So I'm watching Drawn Together, when I realize that Tara Strong, voice of Twilight Sparkle, is also the voice of Princess Clara. I found this amusing, considering that Twilight is a friendly, intelligent pony, and Clara is a racist, fundamentalist with an octopus wa. I would love to see clara's lines dubbed onto footage of Twilight Sparkle.

So I'm watching Drawn Together, when I realize that Tara Strong, voice of Twilight Sparkle, is also the voice of Princess Clara. I found this amusing, considering that Twilight is a friendly, intelligent pony, and Clara is a racist, fundamentalist with an octopus wa. I would love to see clara's lines dubbed onto footage of Twilight Sparkle.
It's already been done I think... The funniest thing is when she swears and everything, it's really very difficult to imagine Twilight ever being like that. And then there's that car crash scene :sneaky:

Yep, you also might find it interesting that she also voices Toot from Drawn Together.

This next video... if you aren't laughing within the first 20 minutes then you haven't a sense of humor.

A panel was supposed to be one thing, but got handed over to this wonderful group of people. An hour and a half of improv. What could go wrong? :D

I must watch more MLP, but seeing as only a few of my close friends and T9K knows about me being a brony, watching episodes is extremely hard...

I must watch more MLP, but seeing as only a few of my close friends and T9K knows about me being a brony, watching episodes is extremely hard...
Who gives a shit if they find out, it's just a cartoon...

Protip: Brony is more of a derogatory term now than ever before. I personally don't refer to myself as such. I think it's unnecessary to label people part of a fanbase.

Who gives a shit if they find out, it's just a cartoon...

Protip: Brony is more of a derogatory term now than ever before. I personally don't refer to myself as such. I think it's unnecessary to label people part of a fanbase.

I agree with this. I have tried to avoid calling myself a brony because labels are stupid in this context.

How did the word become so derogatory? It makes me think of how certain racial slurs were okay, such as "negro" or "squaw". They're bad words now, but they didn't used to be. Why is brony a slur, now? Can the word be reclaimed, the way the LGBT community reclaimed words like "queer" and "dyke"?

No one get upset here, I used certain words in an academic way, not an aggressive way.

How did the word become so derogatory? It makes me think of how certain racial slurs were okay, such as "negro" or "squaw". They're bad words now, but they didn't used to be. Why is brony a slur, now? Can the word be reclaimed, the way the LGBT community reclaimed words like "queer" and "dyke"?

No one get upset here, I used certain words in an academic way, not an aggressive way.
The most obvious place where people have "disowned" this word is, ironically, on /mlp/ on 4chan. Now whenever they refer to bronies, it's always going to be those weird, crazy neckbeards going to meetups with far too many plushies. For much of the fanbase, they use that word to refer to each other and themselves and it is not offensive at all.
Yet when used outside of the fanbase, it is almost always in a mocking manner. The fanbase is often being associated with awkwardness and whatnot, which is why people who are not as hardcore of fans want to distance themselves from "bronyism".
Watching this show does not make me "hip" or "cool" or "special" and stuff, it's just a hobby and labels are cringey. Notice how Regular Show, Adventure Time, and Gravity Falls have no labels for their fanbases. It really isn't needed at all.

The most obvious place where people have "disowned" this word is, ironically, on /mlp/ on 4chan. Now whenever they refer to bronies, it's always going to be those weird, crazy neckbeards going to meetups with far too many plushies. For much of the fanbase, they use that word to refer to each other and themselves and it is not offensive at all.
Yet when used outside of the fanbase, it is almost always in a mocking manner. The fanbase is often being associated with awkwardness and whatnot, which is why people who are not as hardcore of fans want to distance themselves from "bronyism".
Watching this show does not make me "hip" or "cool" or "special" and stuff, it's just a hobby and labels are cringey. Notice how Regular Show, Adventure Time, and Gravity Falls have no labels for their fanbases. It really isn't needed at all.
Soooo much this.

Interesting, but I'd like to point out that it's also hard to give non-weird sounding labels for fans of the other shows.

One of the reasons why the fanbase for MLP:FIM is the odd one out is because aspects of the show allows for easy labeling. The cast mainly consists of a singular, non-human species whose common name happens to be comfortably pronunciable in English - "pony". Furthermore, the descriptive name is solely associated with this particular work and not associated with other similar works. There is no other work I know of that revolves around ponies and has a sizeable fanbase.

Labeling a fanbase of other shows, movies, books, games, musical bands, etc. would just be too awkward.

For example:

Adventure Time: The diversity of the characters on this show makes it difficult to give its fanbase a collective label. The only thing they all have in common is that they call the land of Ooo home. Maybe "Oootakus"? Although the Japanese term seems dissonant from the show's American origins.

Regular Show: Similar reasons as "Adventure Time". The commonality all the characters have is that they work at the park. Any label with "park" is bound to lead to confusion (Are you a fan of "South Park", "Parks & Recreation", "Trailer Park Boys", etc.?). Maybe Hamboners, but who the hell wants to call themselves a -boner?

Star Trek: Now this one works. Despite the show's diverse cast, "Trek" is such a short, uncommonly used English word that modifying it into the label "Trekkie" doesn't seem too awkward. Furthermore, it cannot be confused with other fanbases because there's no other work associated with the word "Trek" that has a sizeable fanbase.

The Walking Dead: The cast members are all Georgians and all fight zombies. That doesn't really help with labeling. The title doesn't lend any help either, unlike Star Trek. Calling the fanbase "The Walking Dead" self-refers the work which is a no-no, and calling them "Deadheads" might confuse them with other fanbases (The Ungrateful Dead)

Game of Thrones: Too diverse of a cast. Names from this show are generally too long and awkward to form a catchy label anyway. Title doesn't help.

Futurama: The show takes place in space and in the future, so "Futurenauts"? Meh, not really. "Naut" as in "astronaut" is associated with exploration into the unknown. The cast is just interstellar delivery - no real exploring there (though they do end up in some weird places).

I've seen "Trekkie" vs. "Trekker" debates last for days on end, with one faction in the community arguing that "Trekkie" should never be used in polite company, another using it to distinguish between those who have been fans of the franchise since 1966 (or watched TOS in reruns/on VHS or DVD) and those who have been fans of the franchise only since 1979/1987/2001/2009/etc., and a third trying to argue that the other two factions are both right. I'm a "Trekker" by group #2's definition, having only seen a few episodes of TOS, but I'd accept myself as a "Trekkie" by group #1's definition simply because although I don't own any uniforms or licensed merchandise, my knowledge of Trek trivia goes far beyond that of most people I know. (Lamenting, not bragging. Such full frontal nerdity can be rather uncomfortable at times.) So no matter the environment, "Trekkie" isn't particularly bothersome to me.

If some assholes on a message board have arbitrarily decided to use "brony" as an insult, fine. The opinions of assholes mean nothing to me. Though regardless of any distinction between hateful slur and affectionate nickname held by the person saying it, if someone called me a brony I'd probably have to hurt them. :p

tumblr_m4qdeeL9861qkyr2eo1_500.png

What about fans of the Lord of the Rings? We call ourselves Ringers. Or fans of Repo the Genetic Opera are referred to as the Repo Army. Fans of Avatar the Last Airbender call themselves Avatards.

Back