• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Ranks: An editorial by Crane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, I can't even walk across guest world without lagging, im not the person to ask. When I ask if anyone needs lava/water that's when im gonna give it, other than that I can't. So get it while you can. Sorry if I don't seem as perfect as You thought

Dude, I can't even walk across guest world without lagging, im not the person to ask. When I ask if anyone needs lava/water that's when im gonna give it, other than that I can't. So get it while you can. Sorry if I don't seem as perfect as You thought

lol why do you even ask people if they need lava/water if you cant even give it to them when they ask?

lol basically what i got from you was.... "I'll help whenever I want."
im sorry if i seem like im trolling, but, you started it.

lol why do you even ask people if they need lava/water if you cant even give it to them when they ask?

lol basically what i got from you was.... "I'll help whenever I want."
im sorry if i seem like im trolling, but, you started it.
yeah, pretty much except its I'll help whenever I Can
Dude im getting a new computer, so whatever

Read it once, then again just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Brilliant, I agree that Builders almost never build. I often just fly around in classic and chat to other people, maybe help telling people off for using caps or swearing if the current amount of players online exceed 150. I'd like to work on some collaborative builds, sadly they don't occur as much as they should.

Edit: Even though it's more than half a year old, it's still very relevant.

Brilliant, I agree that Builders almost never build. I often just fly around in classic and chat to other people, maybe help telling people off for using caps or swearing if the current amount of players online exceed 150. I'd like to work on some collaborative builds, sadly they don't occur as much as they should.

That's true, but I build somewhat often, and some of it is helping guests/friends build.

if the builders want any advice they can do what i used to do: make the builder hidouts, i know some of you still know what those are <3

if the builders want any advice they can do what i used to do: make the builder hidouts, i know some of you still know what those are <3
Haha, yeah. <3
There used to not be a single cool world without a builder center and spleefing area. :D

Even though it's more than half a year old, it's still very relevant.
True, I've noticed a lot less "building for top ranks" kind of thing lately. Back in the day, this was a massive problem.
I also realized I never gave Crane a like for his first post, better late than never!:p

Looks like an admin removed my post for cleanliness so I'm sorry for the excess images. My point is, that some builders actually do build, which is exactly why they have such a low chance of getting promoted.

Rather than choosing to make themselves look friendly with the Awesomes and Pros, they actually spend all their time building sprites and castles and whatnot, only intent on making the server look better and honing their creative skills.

There are others who are obviously too lazy to think of anything to build, so they go around asking if anybody wants water or lava and look for grief. Not to mention continuous "no caps", "type /rules" and "search WoM to fly". I think people just get so excited after being promoted from Cool rank that they forget what they promoted for in the first place.

There's a lot more of the latter that I mentioned than actual "builders" but I like to think of myself as somebody who actually follows what my rank is named after.

Looks like an admin removed my post for cleanliness so I'm sorry for the excess images. My point is, that some builders actually do build, which is exactly why they have such a low chance of getting promoted.

Rather than choosing to make themselves look friendly with the Awesomes and Pros, they actually spend all their time building sprites and castles and whatnot, only intent on making the server look better and honing their creative skills.

There are others who are obviously too lazy to think of anything to build, so they go around asking if anybody wants water or lava and look for grief. Not to mention continuous "no caps", "type /rules" and "search WoM to fly". I think people just get so excited after being promoted from Cool rank that they forget what they promoted for in the first place.

There's a lot more of the latter that I mentioned than actual "builders" but I like to think of myself as somebody who actually follows what my rank is named after.
Perhaps you missed the overall point of the original post of this thread. What I was trying to say is that a rank shouldn't define who you are. People are placed in ranks because that's where they need to be. You are a builder because you like building, no? Someone who spends time building is obviously happy being a builder, because as a builder you can build as much as you want, pretty much where ever you want. People that go around trying to help other users and admins with things are obviously more interested in helping with the administration of the server than building (at least at that particular moment).

The point of my overall soapbox in creating this thread (Now written almost 9 months ago) was this: Ranks shouldn't be used to measure someone's worth, whether it be their own self worth, or their worth to the community.

Sure we need engineers, awesomes, and pros to make sure the server stays clean and fun for everyone, but without the guests, cools, and builders, the job would be pointless.

I found that as a builder I want half of the powers of the engineer class. The only reason I'd ever want to get engineer class is for it's map-editing tools. But that doesn't really stand for anything these days does it? They just look pretty useful for large repetitive patterns that can be seen in many high profile building projects.

I found that as a builder I want half of the powers of the engineer class. The only reason I'd ever want to get engineer class is for it's map-editing tools. But that doesn't really stand for anything these days does it? They just look pretty useful for large repetitive patterns that can be seen in many high profile building projects.
whatmap editing tools?

Engineer can only kick. They can do nothing else besides that that a Builder can't.

Awesome is the rank you get cuboid and such, and really they are not supposed to be used in making your builds. It's supposed to be an administrative tool only.

This is also sad being that those trying to "get in good" with the admins are less likely to be promoted, because they simply want the rank just to have it, like it's a trophy to be achieved rather than the responsibility that it actually is. The point is to have fun and be a part of the community.

Yes, being an engineer is fun at first but then it just gets boring. And I have a feeling Awesome is the same. Because when you get awesome you are required to get on every once in a while, and at that point it seems like a job, I don't like that at all. This is the reason why I DON'T want Awesome, because it seems like a hassle to me. I like to enjoy my games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back