• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Ranks: An editorial by Crane

Status
Not open for further replies.
and furthering on im3nurons post, for those of you builders that are really wanting engineer, you must know, its a very stressfull job and it can get really hard. people always asking you for kicks and people think (even more) that you can promote, cuboid and ban. now dont let me discourage you from wanting it becuase in the end of the day its very, very well worth it, and its great an all but some days i just wish i was a builder back in the day again with AceOfWolves, Parcel face, Bbgunshot, and all those great guys n' just hanging out building together, so if you can get anything out of this just remember to take a lookat yourself and take a moment to be haapy where your at.

Yeah it must be really stressful sitting in the comfort of your own home at a computer.

Moral of the story: If you want to advance past builder.... well... stop building! Just float around aimlessly narking people out.

Seems like a silly way to shoot for the stars when you say it out loud.

Yes, being an engineer is fun at first but then it just gets boring. And I have a feeling Awesome is the same. Because when you get awesome you are required to get on every once in a while, and at that point it seems like a job, I don't like that at all. This is the reason why I DON'T want Awesome, because it seems like a hassle to me. I like to enjoy my games.
As a former Classic admin on another server, I agree fully with this.

NewspaperCrane i agree with your post, but its nothing that hasn't been said before. Posts like this have come and gone on the forum over the last 7 months. There was a few topics about builders like 4 1/2 months ago expressing the same ideas.

NewspaperCrane i agree with your post, but its nothing that hasn't been said before. Posts like this have come and gone on the forum over the last 7 months. There was a few topics about builders like 4 1/2 months ago expressing the same ideas.
Check posting date.

yep sorry crane i apologize. i didnt notice this was from April, since it was a sticky i thought it was recently created.

Ok, I've read this whole thread now, some posts even 3 times, to make sure I get them, so I think it is time for me to say my ideas about this:

First, I am just being honest now, I am not doing this because i want a higher rank, I just want to show you my opinions about this.

About engineers:
Yes, engineer is, or must be, the rank that is the hardest to get. When you are builder / cool / guest, you can just build something, the worst thing you can do is griefing, then you will be banned, end of the story. But when you are an engi, you can kick someone, so you can really (how do I say this?) attack/harm/offend somebody. Also, when you are an engi, I think you have to do some things, you have a real duty then. You have to help keeping the server clean.

About builders:
They are not the rank with the most people. They are not the rank with the most privileges. They are (mostly, and yes, there are exceptions) not the most idolized rank. But they may be the most important rank. I mean, the most times when there is a revert, it is because a guest said it (or a builder found it), a builder checked it and they report it to an engi+. And yes, there are loads of builders just trying to archieve engineer rank, by helping admins all day. Some of you are overreacting at that. Yes, they are begging for a higher rank, some way. But of course they want to become an engi or higher. I mean, why not? They will get responsibility, they will get duties, but they are allready helping all day. They will get more privileges, a place to build in Main, and, (don't forget this one, i think it is an important one,) they will be more respected.
Somebody, I don't know who it was, said something about that we, builders, are doing the job from the cools, like helping guests with water, lava, etc. But I don't think so. When I became cool, I was like; "Well, I'm a cool now. I know how it feels to have to ask for water and lava (I hated that), so i am going to help guests out with that." But it isn't easy to help others when you are a cool. The most important thing is finding the other person. As a builder you just tp there, place some blocks and that's it. As a cool, it can take 10+ minutes to find the person. So we, builders, arent 'doing what cools are supposed to do', we are doing what we can do the best.
There are also builders, like me, who want to have a higher rank, but don't do it that way. Now i'm speaking for more builders, and i don't know if they all think the same way, but I just build, and yes, i help admins too, but not every day, the whole time. I usually start with checking if there are many grief cases, if no, i just go building. And somedays, when the server is crowded, or i just dont know what to build, or, well, why not?, I help admins.
And i know i will not be promoted soon if i do this, but it is just the way i enjoy this awesome game the most. Yes, i would love to become engineer, but if not, it doesn't matter. I'm just having fun here, and i think more people should do that. Just have fun people!

Last note: My english isn't good, I know, I hope you just get what I want to say. If not, tell me, I will try to explain it better.

My post from the topic Suggested higher standards for builders dated Sep. 14th 2011

guys i wanted to stay out of this but i will input something. You can look at my work and im probly one of the worst builders here, but i made it to builder pretty quickly. Although my builds were bad they took hours. my spleef arena took my houses took like 5. i ddint produce the best results but i put alot of effort into them. Since then i have gotten a bit better, but i think i got to builder at a good rate and im sure everyone else has as well.

I feel like this topic should be locked for a few reasons. The admins have stated that the systems they have in place are working and are in place for the right reasons. I didnt feel like this topic would get a change in structure due to the fact that the system they have is working for the system and if it didnt it wouldnt have been put in place or removed afterwords. As the admins they get final say Akamus has made it very clear and i agree with him 1000% what is minecraft classic about anyhow? its about building and although some people dont always produce amazing builds they work very hard like i did.

I think we have great admins on this server who make good choices and i dot feel like builder should be barly reachable, i think builder should be for people who put great amounts of effort into their builds and making them to the best of their ability. If you look from builder to engineer its a completely different story because your barking up a new tree. The admins have a system to get the best people from the builder community to help out as a higher rank. To me that just shows that the system that are in place work for the server because engineer shouldn't be handed out. and it isnt. The rank structure on the server looks good and works well

You may not run things this way and i might disagree on points aswell but ultimately the admins run it and its theirs to implement any structure they choose. I feel like due to the fact that admins have answered you on why they made things the way they did this could be lock. The admins looked at what people had to say and respectfully stood by their choices which i think puts this matter to a close.

New matter ---

Builders should have a choice to respond on the forum but shouldnt be held against them for rank if they dont because minecraft is about builder and not necessarily about the community. and thats what the first 3 ranks are they reward building and shouldn't necessarily reward community. I am on the forum but dont respond to topics i dot need to or dont have any reason to be in. I also cant use mumble because of my internet, not my fault but ii shouldn't be held against me. Eng + is about community and serving it. that's where i see being active on the forums and mumble a positive thing. people who rank to builder are there to build anyone eng + made that commitment to server the community

I think the builder rank has kinda lost its mark tho. So many builders are worryed about promotions to engineer, i wont name names but in the last months ive heard 5 builders complaining about not being chosen for engineer. Some people think the deserve the rank but in reality we havent because the admins dont think we are ready for it or because they dont need us yet. Its not our call its theirs. they dont have to promote on your standards and you wont be promoted util you meet theirs. The admins make very good choices for higher ranked staff and i know that they make the right choices so why worry about promotions, if you are ready for the position you will get chosen.. I think the builder rank should be alot more focused on their building skills and improving them and less woryed about why they havent been promoted. Because like admins say promotions come in time and come with hard work. People are here for many reasons but i would help people are here to play minecraft classic the way it should be played and focusing there time in the object of the game building.

well thats about all i got for you today haha sorry it was kinda long just a few things i wanted to say.

i did it at 3 in the morning i was tired and didnt edit it

EDIT: oh about the triple post. i dont edit posts unless i make a typo

I wish builders would get the fact that no matter how much you brown nose it isnt going to get you any closer to engineer!

I mean i used to be a builder that only went on to try and gain trust from people and admins so i could be an engineer.
But now i see after being an admin on several other servers and now having my own server that, its not all that great! I mean i dont get how but it actually gets stressful like buffy said, people constantly asking "Kick this person hes pissing me off", or "COME HERE THERES GRIEFFFF!!!!!" It just gets iratating after a while.

I just wish people would play for the community or play to build and have a great time rather than just play for ranks! It just really ticks me off that people do that. I mean I used to do that but still!

Personally, I really would only want cool, since that just means you're part of the group and not just some random shmuck like the other 1000 guests out there.

I will say that you get almost no respect from many people as guest, but then members (cool+) seem to be really the ones that you look to for help, and they have a bit of a safety net. I'll just go out there and say it- if some guy with a grey name does something that they don't realize is greifing, then they're automatically thought to be a random greifer from the system. A cool+ has a bit of leeway, and is given more of a fighting chance against accidentally getting banned/kicked. The newer guests also look up to anybody with a colored name for help and whatnot.

Personally, it'd be nice if there was like and "Advanced Guest" or something between guest and cool just so there's one fairly easy level between guest and cool. (like build in the server for so long, and show a decent beginner build or two) Not hard to get, just enough to mean that you're putting effort into comming to the site and registering and whatnot. (basically, you can very easilly get it by simply playing the game and posting one or two pics here)

Personally, I really would only want cool, since that just means you're part of the group and not just some random shmuck like the other 1000 guests out there.

I will say that you get almost no respect from many people as guest, but then members (cool+) seem to be really the ones that you look to for help, and they have a bit of a safety net. I'll just go out there and say it- if some guy with a grey name does something that they don't realize is greifing, then they're automatically thought to be a random greifer from the system. A cool+ has a bit of leeway, and is given more of a fighting chance against accidentally getting banned/kicked. The newer guests also look up to anybody with a colored name for help and whatnot.

Personally, it'd be nice if there was like and "Advanced Guest" or something between guest and cool just so there's one fairly easy level between guest and cool. (like build in the server for so long, and show a decent beginner build or two) Not hard to get, just enough to mean that you're putting effort into comming to the site and registering and whatnot. (basically, you can very easilly get it by simply playing the game and posting one or two pics here)
I guess, but isn't that what Cools are anyway?

Cool's a basic member, but it's kinda relatively hard to get. I was thinking of something that was just really easy that wasn't a true rank. No real gain, just a distinction of not being completely new/noob.

Basically, build two good/decent, medium builds, (like the huey I have as my avatar, not anything crazy or huge, spend x hours in game, and apply here for the rank.

Cool's like build five or six fairly large builds, wait forever to have the post reviewed, and maybe get it.

It doesn't normally take forever for the post to get reviewed, the holidays had a lot of us admins unavailable, but I get back to the states tomorrow, and you can all expect much quicker promotion app review starting then.

If we are to add a new rank, it should be a rank equal to engineer, but it's for builders

Or a rank very trust worthy builders who don't want to mod, but still is trusted enough with cuboid.

If we are to add a new rank, it should be a rank equal to engineer, but it's for builders

Or a rank very trust worthy builders who don't want to mod, but still is trusted enough with cuboid.
You know that cuboid is only for administrative tasks, right? I.e. not for building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back