The LGBT Thread

So, apparently the reason for the anti-gay law is to "boost Russia's dwindling birth rates"

Because obviously gay people suddenly become straight when you discriminate against them.
What happens when those birth rates fail to increase (as they will)?

The production of vodka will increase.
Ah, but in Soviet Russia, vodka produces you!

On a more serious note, If Russia thinks that not acknowledging the existence of homosexuality is going to work in any way then they are very much mistaken. People do not have less children because they know homosexuality exists, they choose not to have children because they are living in low economic conditions and cannot afford the financial burden of starting a family.

I'm interested to hear something from a Russian member of T9k. I happen to know that the Russian mindset has never been the same as the American one - low economic conditions have historically not been a factor in decisions to have children in Russia, whereas the opposite is true in America.

I am appalled that anyone would ever say that religious freedom trumps the freedom of sexuality. I am also appalled at the level of politics being played over what SHOULD be a simple issue of removing discrimination. No institution should have the power to discriminate against anyone.

Congrats :D

US Supreme Court declares Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional

EDIT: With DOMA struck down, legally-married gay couples are entitled to receive the same federal benefits afforded to married heterosexual couples. In no way does this ruling repeal any gay marriage bans in individual states, but it's a big step. Concerning California's Prop 8 law, by not ruling on the case, the Supreme Court passively upheld a trial court's decision that Prop 8 is unconstitutional.

XkQvleb.jpg

That's lovely.

I went to the UCC church here once. There were no straight people. NONE. The pastor noticed and had herself a little joke about it. A few people chuckled, but most of us feigned offense at her "bigotry" and got the associate pastor (her wife) teasingly lecturing her on acceptance and compassion and all that fun. *Then* everybody laughed, and the service went on. It was awesome.

Back